Charlton play off game on sky sports football

Must say that both Gray and Mendonca spoke very well about the events of that day.

I also agree that it was perhaps a blessing in disguise that we lost that day as, the following season was brilliant (certainly in the top 5 for this 60 rear old).

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched it again today , amazing. The atmosphere was incredible , as gutted as you guys must have been you walked it the following season and both teams went on to have a great era. From the return to the Valley in 1992 it was steady progress for 15 years until Curbs decided he wanted a bigger stage. As it turned out we were good for him and he was great for us.

I watched it again today , amazing. The atmosphere was incredible , as gutted as you guys must have been you walked it the following season and both teams went on to have a great era. From the return to the Valley in 1992 it was steady progress for 15 years until Curbs decided he wanted a bigger stage. As it turned out we were good for him and he was great for us.

Wonder why Curbishly never went back into management after West Ham. He was linked with loads of jobs but apart from coaching stints never got another number 1 gig.

He did a fantastic job for yous like. Seems a good fella as well

I've often wondered about this. We were amazing the year after but what would the premier league have been like if we still had johnstone and bridges? Clark too potentially. We'd already signed Sorensen by some reports but bould still had a year left at arsenal. All sorts could have happened

It kick started the best period of supporting Sunderland in many of our lives. A period that might take decades to be repeated.
The season after is my favourite since I started going in 91. I know it was only the championship but we had the lot. No surprise at all they held their own in the Premier league

Wonder why Curbishly never went back into management after West Ham. He was linked with loads of jobs but apart from coaching stints never got another number 1 gig.
Once Curbs took West Ham to court ( and won his case ) he was virtually black balled by other clubs because he had taken West Ham to court. Also he thought his record deserved a Premiership job and turned down a couple of championship opportunities. As time goes on if you don't get back on the carousel quickly you've deemed to have been out of the game too long. Shame as we were a marriage made in heaven , we were relegated straight back after 1998 but the club stuck by him and went back up as champions.

There was some other good sides about in those days too. Funny enough Bolton, Blackburn, Sheffield United and even Ipswich. All clubs that have had their fair share of the shite since.

Was watching it earlier, I was too young to go but I remember me dad going. In all honesty I’d love a repeat of it but us on the winning side this time :cool:

I've often wondered about this. We were amazing the year after but what would the premier league have been like if we still had johnstone and bridges? Clark too potentially. We'd already signed Sorensen by some reports but bould still had a year left at arsenal. All sorts could have happened

Personally I don't think Johnston was good enough. Almost always came inside onto his right foot and would've been worked out by better players. Suppose Gray overlapping on the outside helped.
We ended up with Schwartz who was better anyway and Hutchison was better than Clark too IMO.

I think it all worked out well the way it did.

Last edited:

Speaking of atmosphere, how's the feeling amongst Charlton fans building up to the game. Enjoy the game and have a great day out or make the atmosphere poison and antagonistic, screaming scum and northern c_unts into the faces of women and children. I assume the former but I was shocked at what a bunch of utter twats the majority of the Pompey fans were.

Back