Charlton forum

capacity at Roker over the says different
The permitted capacity of Roker Park when it closed was ..what 22,000? The SoL was built to accommodate twice that and then the stadium was expanded within a few years to its current 48000. So no we didn't redevelop Roker Park to build a smaller stadium

The permitted capacity of Roker Park when it closed was ..what 22,000? The SoL was built to accommodate twice that and then the stadium was expanded within a few years to its current 48000. So no we didn't redevelop Roker Park to build a smaller stadium
thought one end got reduced?

Roker End

wasn't the back of it knocked down?

so therefore yes you did redevelop to a smaller capacity

Last edited:
thought one end got reduced?

Roker End

wasn't the back of it knocked down?

so therefore yes you did redevelop to a smaller capacity
That wasn't out of choice it was for safety reason the Roker End stand could have collapsed -it had actually suffered bomb damage during WWII . We had to put up with it until a new bigger stadium could be built as at the end of its life Roker Park could not accommodate all of the fans. In Charlton's case The new Valley stadium was purpose built with a capacity of less than 25,000.

That wasn't out of choice it was for safety reason the Roker End stand could have collapsed -it had actually suffered bomb damage during WWII . We had to put up with it until a new bigger stadium could be built as at the end of its life Roker Park could not accommodate all of the fans. In Charlton's case The new Valley stadium was purpose built with a capacity of less than 25,000.
I wouldn't say The Valley was purpose built , the Jimmy Seed stand ( away end ) is still the same stand as before we left the Valley in 1985. The Valley has a capacity of 27,111 and there were plans to increase it to 40,000 before the fall out of the Prem. Judging by his user name cbwhu he's an appy ammer :lol:

I mimagine that HUGE side they had here was in just as bad disrepair though as anything at Roker?

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
From what I remember at the time, the top half of the Roker End was removed due to "concrete cancer" or corrosion of the steel reinforcements.
Club couldnt afford to rebuild it

What I don't get.. I thought they weren't happy with there owners and were boycotting? But get to Wembley and sell over 30k??

So what's happening if they go up (I think u guys will win) and there owners that they don't like, don't invest and they are bottom of championship.. do they protest again?

I don't get it or have things changed?

What I don't get.. I thought they weren't happy with there owners and were boycotting? But get to Wembley and sell over 30k??

So what's happening if they go up (I think u guys will win) and there owners that they don't like, don't invest and they are bottom of championship.. do they protest again?

I don't get it or have things changed?

It's amazing what a few wins achieve as our near neighbours prove. All the boycouts and prertests postponed once Rafa got a few wins.

It's amazing what a few wins achieve as our near neighbours prove. All the boycouts and prertests postponed once Rafa got a few wins.

Not for us, we took 37k against Cardiff.. after the prem and what a fair few of us knew before (but couldn't prove) our next play off final we took 6kish..

They were proper against the owners.. now it seems forgotten.. really don't get it

Back