Charlton forum

Palace until the 80's had spent a lot of time in the 3rd and fourth division same with Millwall. We have spent more seasons in the top flight than those two put together and have higher average attendances than both , just not the last few seasons

There's not much in it though is there?

He formed a political party in Belgium that doesn't get any votes. He thinks he is a visionary, but he isn't![/QUOTE]

Better to have a vision that failed then to have never had a vision...I had a vision of being happy once, it worked out...try it.

Palace until the 80's had spent a lot of time in the 3rd and fourth division same with Millwall. We have spent more seasons in the top flight than those two put together and have higher average attendances than both , just not the last few seasons

I probably know more about your club than I should coming from the northeast but as 9 year old kid watching the BBC news and seeing a club who my grandad told tales of this massive stand about to go bust touched something inside me.
I kept an eye out for Charlton over the years, the death of the Valley and then the return which must have been brilliant for fans.
Our histories are canny entwined when you look into it, you finished 2nd in 37' and just like us had a great team fucked over by the war, we share the same record attendance, as a rule when we've fallen on hard times so have you.
Then we have the 98 playoff final and this season, actual 1st game of the whole season and the very last again this time round, pissed me off yesterday when people call Charlton shite and the like, anything but imo.

He formed a political party in Belgium that doesn't get any votes. He thinks he is a visionary, but he isn't!

Better to have a vision that failed then to have never had a vision...I had a vision of being happy once, it worked out...try it.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you could persuade him to buy Sunderland then if you're so keen! :)

I think that comment was tongue in cheek , it's just one guy trying to convince himself that we should win. We were lucky against Donny and that game on Friday knocked out any over confidence that we had. You get one guy make a comment like tinpot club , who cares , we've got Millwall for neighbours imagine the shit we get from them. We are the biggest South London club but have been in the doldrums for years so our support has been a bit doormant. Bowyer has awoken the fan base and the relative success of this season has been down to him despite the owner who tells us he can only devote 2% of his time to the club. We did at one time have an average home attendance of 40,000 and a record crowd of 75,000 , but we get called little old Charlton but we know the truth , if we could get an owner with ambition the club has great potential

Good post that mate

I probably know more about your club than I should coming from the northeast but as 9 year old kid watching the BBC news and seeing a club who my grandad told tales of this massive stand about to go bust touched something inside me.
I kept an eye out for Charlton over the years, the death of the Valley and then the return which must have been brilliant for fans.
Our histories are canny entwined when you look into it, you finished 2nd in 37' and just like us had a great team fucked over by the war, we share the same record attendance, as a rule when we've fallen on hard times so have you.
Then we have the 98 playoff final and this season, actual 1st game of the whole season and the very last again this time round, pissed me off yesterday when people call Charlton shite and the like, anything but imo.
Tried to allude to that earlier. I have a Charlton v Sunderland program (we got beat) signed by a certain Mr Shackleton...

There confident, nothing wrong with that, they were form team of division last few months of season, and in Taylor and Aribo they are two excellent players for this level.
If we're slight underdogs on the day so be it, all we can do is play well on the day and see where it takes us.

Majority of both set of supporters think its a 50/50 game which it is, same when we played Portsmouth no one could call that.

I like Charlton just not Bowyer more intelligent version of Barton with his subtle digs at us, however he has done a great job in his 1st season and that pains me to say.

We just have to hope that we are the better team, if Ross doesn't sit back like the 2nd half of Checkatrade then we stand a good chance, but who knows.

Is this the season of revenge Portsmouth and maybe Charlton?

I wasn’t concerned when I watched them against doncaster who pretty much battered them, the same Doncaster who could lay a finger in is a few weeks back.

Let them be cocky, same as Portsmouth they think they just need to turn up

To be fair I don't think any of the sane fans think we need to just turn up. We are trying to convince ourselves and build some confidence. The sense of relief after the sh*te performance against Donny on Sunday ended with an unexpected win has left us feeling on a high - (that and there are always a few knobs in every support and on every forum). If we don't go up this season the damage that "owner"and lunatic Roland Duchatelet has caused could easily finally come home to roost and we will probably lose our manager, most of our first team and there's a real chance we'll drop further.

I used to live next door to a BC exile in south London and he was a great man, but he still wouldn't talk to me about '98 several years later. I know that most of us respect most of you, and I reckon that is a bout as good as it ever gets among footy supporters.

Last edited:

Good post

Back