Charlie on Talksport

carlos

Winger
Right now with the producer of stid
Barry asked Charlie has he checked social media. Said the overwhelming reaction is the connection like series 1 had. Said all in all it's very positive
Barry asking him about the walk out music clip.

Said he comes across as a David Brent figure

Charlie said it's a shorthand for any business person who does the documentary. Brent was about being loved by the staff that wasnt his strategy
Charlie said Leo and the the group from Fulwell73 looked at taking over and said they would be crazy to. Charlie said we should have been the first major club to go bust with the money they were losing

Last edited:

Right now with the producer of stid
Barry asked Charlie has he checked social media. Said the overwhelming reaction is the connection like series 1 had. Said all in all it's very positive
Barry asking him about the walk out music clip.

Said he comes across as a David Brent figure

Charlie said it's a shorthand for any business person who does the documentary. Brent was about being loved by the staff that wasnt his strategy
Charlie said Leo and the the group from Fulwell73 looked at taking over and said they would be crazy to. Charlie said we should have been the first major club to go bust with the money they were losing
Just caught the end of that. I like the comment by the producer of Fulwell 73 who after looking to buy the club were a bit brighter that Donald and Methven in that they walked away.

Having just finished watching STID this morning, I have to say I don't get what peoples problems are with Methven in it? He comes across very hard and very to the point but isnt that what we needed and wanted? He made mistakes, so did SD but they both genuinely cared thats for sure. Give them stick for mistakes made but some of the abuse they got was off the charts.

I thought CM came across brilliantly. People slating him for the music etc, is he not allowed to have an opinion like? Then whenever he opened the room up for questions or for people to make their own contribution no one really ever said anything that was positive in any way.

SD is out of his depth and lets his heart lead his head on some decisions. He's too much of a fan to own a club this big. However he gave it everything, made mistakes but wore his heart on his sleeve and I definitely won't slate him for that.

All in all I wouldn't be against them staying having watched that. I think we need a new lead man or woman who has experience and the finance behind them. However I don't want to lose the personal touch that they were trying to create with the fans.

Having just finished watching STID this morning, I have to say I don't get what peoples problems are with Methven in it? He comes across very hard and very to the point but isnt that what we needed and wanted? He made mistakes, so did SD but they both genuinely cared thats for sure. Give them stick for mistakes made but some of the abuse they got was off the charts.

I thought CM came across brilliantly. People slating him for the music etc, is he not allowed to have an opinion like? Then whenever he opened the room up for questions or for people to make their own contribution no one really ever said anything that was positive in any way.

SD is out of his depth and lets his heart lead his head on some decisions. He's too much of a fan to own a club this big. However he gave it everything, made mistakes but wore his heart on his sleeve and I definitely won't slate him for that.

All in all I wouldn't be against them staying having watched that. I think we need a new lead man or woman who has experience and the finance behind them. However I don't want to lose the personal touch that they were trying to create with the fans.

i 100% agree with you. Can you imagine if we had some one like him the last 10 years.

he is exactly what is needed. I hope they both stay. Sd looks like a gentle soul and cares. I believe theyve saved the club.

Totally agree but I doubt many others will.

Totally agree but I doubt many others will.

They keep saying "oh but the lies"

They forget that when someone says "we'll get 2 strikers", they mean that they will go all out but in the football world things change. When they say "we have the biggest budget", people seem to think that means we have £10 million to spare on players. We do have the biggest budget but also have the biggest wage budget by a mile. They don't realise that if we didn't trim the squad, didn't get rid of Cattermole, Oviedo, Matthews etc then we had a real chance of going under and if we don't go up this year we'll have to cut more as the parachute payments stop.

"They've been looking to sell from day 1" "quick cash chancers" "only in it for the money"
Who buys a business to lose money? They've been open from day one in saying that they needed long term investment. When the Dell lads were looking at us, at one stage it may have looked like a takeover, so they used that language, then it changed to investment/loan, so the deal changed. People took that as SD and CM telling porkies when really it was just the business landscape of the deal changing and they were trying to be as open as possible day to day when that maybe wasnt the best way to go. However if they weren't that open they would also have been slated for being a closed shop like under Ellis Short so they just couldn't win. Plus, if you bought a club for say £20 million, someone offered you a £30 million profit a week, month or year laters, doesn't matter when, like you wouldn't think about it?

It's absolutely mental some of the abuse they've gotten. Even the part where Methven was on about getting an extra 3000 ticket sales to make and extra £60k. Whats wrong with making money? People slate them for not spending and cutting costs, then slate him for trying to make more money so we won't have to cut staff etc. Just makes no sense.

Get your tin hat ready.

I agree with you, though.

Genuinely cared about safc or their own money? Theyre lifelong Oxford fans. If anyone on here took over Oxford I’m 99.9% certain their main concern would be for their money.
it’s been edited to make it look like they care man. Edited to make the back room staff look “slow” anarl.

They forget that when someone says "we'll get 2 strikers", they mean that they will go all out but in the football world things change. When they say "we have the biggest budget", people seem to think that means we have £10 million to spare on players. We do have the biggest budget but also have the biggest wage budget by a mile. They don't realise that if we didn't trim the squad, didn't get rid of Cattermole, Oviedo, Matthews etc then we had a real chance of going under and if we don't go up this year we'll have to cut more as the parachute payments stop.

"They've been looking to sell from day 1" "quick cash chancers" "only in it for the money"
Who buys a business to lose money? They've been open from day one in saying that they needed long term investment. When the Dell lads were looking at us, at one stage it may have looked like a takeover, so they used that language, then it changed to investment/loan, so the deal changed. People took that as SD and CM telling porkies when really it was just the business landscape of the deal changing and they were trying to be as open as possible day to day when that maybe wasnt the best way to go. However if they weren't that open they would also have been slated for being a closed shop like under Ellis Short so they just couldn't win. Plus, if you bought a club for say £20 million, someone offered you a £30 million profit a week, month or year laters, doesn't matter when, like you wouldn't think about it?

It's absolutely mental some of the abuse they've gotten. Even the part where Methven was on about getting an extra 3000 ticket sales to make and extra £60k. Whats wrong with making money? People slate them for not spending and cutting costs, then slate him for trying to make more money so we won't have to cut staff etc. Just makes no sense.
We are talking about supporters who still slate Bob Murray who lived and breathed this football club . Even Quinny who should have Mother Theresa status on here , still gets criticized.
I get that fans are disappointed at where we currently stand but those two have done their best with what was an almost impossible task.

Genuinely cared about safc or their own money? Theyre lifelong Oxford fans. If anyone on here took over Oxford I’m 99.9% certain their main concern would be for their money.
it’s been edited to make it look like they care man. Edited to make the back room staff look “slow” anarl.

Well there own money first and foremost of course. Whats wrong with that though? Like I said in my second post in this thread, if you buy a club for however much, then someone offered you a profit, doesn't matter if its a week, month or year later, you wouldn't seriously consider it? They also cared deeply for the club. Their money is in the club and they lose money if it doesn't go well so one doesn't go without the other.

The producers of the show have just been on Talksport and utterly refuted what you have just said.

Christ there is some revisionism going on here and I can't believe what a job STID 2 has done on some of our fans just because Methven shouted at someone because he wanted to make an announcement on the pitch to make himself look good.

They have been found out to be perpetual liars / incompetents / chancers.

1.) They took tens of millions of pounds of parachute payments out of the club, in order to make the deal happen. They never disclosed that (and were dishonest about that) until the accounts came out.
2.) They were looking to sell the club within months of getting here for a huge profit, despite not improving the club in any way.
3.) They ballsed up the managerial situation - Ross should have been sacked the morning after the playoffs, but was allowed to wreck this season.
4.) They ballsed up the playing situation (not least setting public deadlines for Maja to sign a new contract) then sold him to Bordeaux mid season (because we owed Bordeaux a payment), which cost us promotion.
5.) They have tried to blame the fans whenever they could - like Donald coming off social media three times - the week the accounts were about to come out, the week the RAW minutes which showed what happened with the parachute payments was coming out, and then the week the takeover collapsed.
6.) Their story about the American investment / takeover changed regularly. There is no evidence that even the loan has been spent on the things they claimed.
7.) Methven actually had to leave (or pretend to leave) because he had called the fans idiots and they had tried to hide it.
8.) They claimed Sartori was coming back when the MSD deal didn't happen but he hasn't been seen since.
9.) Every time a season ticket payment date comes, they claim they are about to sell the club, but never do.
10.) Their two seasons here have been the two lowest league placings in the club's history.
11.) At every chance they have tried to cash in - like the Walsall tickets fiasco, their shitty membership schemes.
12.) Their non-league mates have delivered a mediocre, imbalanced squad, where we have a squad of 14 senior players in contract in two and a bit months time.
13) The sides below the first team are a laughing stock, and young players are getting sold off left, right and centre to be replaced by rejects who end up on loan in non-league.

And yet people on here seem to believe they 'saved the club'? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This documentary has roped loads in. Thhs thread man. Saved the club ffs.

Kind of agree with you but
My main problems with them happened once the series ended....they were obviously both sick of Ross and should have sacked him the day after Wembley. Seems weird they didn't. The programme doesn't even stress how.many chances Ross blew when we were so close to getting top 2 over and over again.

then there's all the takeover stuff that's unsettled everyone but I don't know what to believe about that as there's a lot of rumours without proof or documentary Netflix evidence

Christ there is some revisionism going on here and I can't believe what a job STID 2 has done on some of our fans just because Methven shouted at someone because he wanted to make an announcement on the pitch to make himself look good.

1.) They took tens of millions of pounds of parachute payments out of the club, in order to make the deal happen. They never disclosed that (and were dishonest about that) until the accounts came out.
2.) They were looking to sell the club within months of getting here for a huge profit, despite not improving the club in any way.
3.) They ballsed up the managerial situation - Ross should have been sacked the morning after the playoffs, but was allowed to wreck this season.
4.) They ballsed up the playing situation (not least setting public deadlines for Maja to sign a new contract) then sold him to Bordeaux mid season (because we owed Bordeaux a payment), which cost us promotion.
5.) They have tried to blame the fans whenever they could - like Donald coming off social media three times - the week the accounts were about to come out, the week the RAW minutes which showed what happened with the parachute payments was coming out, and then the week the takeover collapsed.
6.) Their story about the American investment / takeover changed regularly. There is no evidence that even the loan has been spent on the things they claimed.
7.) Methven actually had to leave (or pretend to leave) because he had called the fans idiots and they had tried to hide it.
8.) They claimed Sartori was coming back when the MSD deal didn't happen but he hasn't been seen since.
9.) Every time a season ticket payment date comes, they claim they are about to sell the club, but never do.
10.) Their two seasons here have been the two lowest league placings in the club's history.
11.) At every chance they have tried to cash in - like the Walsall tickets fiasco, their shitty membership schemes.
12.) Their non-league mates have delivered a mediocre, imbalanced squad, where we have a squad of 14 senior players in contract in two and a bit months time.
13) The sides below the first team are a laughing stock, and young players are getting sold off left, right and centre to be replaced by rejects who end up on loan in non-league.

I reckon half the fuckers defending him could catch him with their lass and he'd talk his way out of it.

Well there own money first and foremost of course. Whats wrong with that though? Like I said in my second post in this thread, if you buy a club for however much, then someone offered you a profit, doesn't matter if its a week, month or year later, you wouldn't seriously consider it? They also cared deeply for the club. Their money is in the club and they lose money if it doesn't go well so one doesn't go without the other.
I nivver said there’s nowt wrong with caring about their money.
Their initial buttering up of sections of the N/E population seems to still be working despite their lies n contradictions n half truths.

Excellent stuff.
The producers of the show have just been on Talksport and utterly refuted what you have just said.
Well they would wouldn’t they. Not gonna get any future shows otherwise are they?

Last edited:

Yawn

Some fair points but we're discussing the programme as is, not what happened after. At least I am.

Brilliant post mate,they can stay for me as long as coton ,hill,etc are replaced.

Back