Charles Eagles, Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickb2112

Striker
Just walked through Milburngate today for the first time in a few weeks and noticed Charles Eagles photography shop has closed. It`s been there for years. Is the one in Sunderland still open?

The two grumpy old men, Tom and Tony retired.
Used it a lot for ink, paper etc. and the odd camera,
But I don't think the fact that it is intended to convert the whole site into yet more student accommodation, and supposedly a cinema, helped.
The developers propose to open the site up and put some of the shops outside facing the river means that those shops would not be allowed security shutters, ( increased insurance premium) plus a significant hike in rents, does not make it viable.
Wilko is next, moving to the Arnison centre.

I'm amazed it lasted this long to be fair. Looked like it was stuck in a time warp.

As is the whole of Durham.

The two grumpy old men, Tom and Tony retired.
Used it a lot for ink, paper etc. and the odd camera,
But I don't think the fact that it is intended to convert the whole site into yet more student accommodation, and supposedly a cinema, helped.
The developers propose to open the site up and put some of the shops outside facing the river means that those shops would not be allowed security shutters, ( increased insurance premium) plus a significant hike in rents, does not make it viable.
Wilko is next, moving to the Arnison centre.

As is the whole of Durham.

I wouldn't say the whole of Durham, but The Gate was full of old tired looking shops. About time it's bladdered to be fair.

Plans are afoot to pull down the National Savings and Passport Office in Millburngate, and replace it with something fresh and exiting.
At a public consultation in the Radison I suggested they look across the river to the trashy, fresh and exiting Walkergate, RSJ's and plasterboard covered with magnolia paint.

When I suggested something like the Guggenheim in Bilbao it was met with stunned silence, then the sound of jaws dropping and hitting the floor.

Plans are afoot to pull down the National Savings and Passport Office in Millburngate, and replace it with something fresh and exiting.
At a public consultation in the Radison I suggested they look across the river to the trashy, fresh and exiting Walkergate, RSJ's and plasterboard covered with magnolia paint.

When I suggested something like the Guggenheim in Bilbao it was met with stunned silence, then the sound of jaws dropping and hitting the floor.

:lol:

You'll have to wait until I've moved the bloody thing out first ;)

Just walked through Milburngate today for the first time in a few weeks and noticed Charles Eagles photography shop has closed. It`s been there for years. Is the one in Sunderland still open?
It is....walked past the other day. Can imagine it's tough these days for independent photography shops, even though there is less competition on the high street these days from chains that have disappeared. I work in Gosforth and there are a couple there still too.

http://www.charleseaglesandson.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back