Charity/Voluntary Work

Mrs R did just that on Saturday. Then plonked all the full placka bags on top of the Crocuses at the end of the street.

Aww poor crocuses!

The bairn insisted we cleared the stream, so we ended up plodging in our wellies untangling all the rubbish from the undergrowth :lol:

Anyone on here do any?

Was thinking about it for a while as wanted to do something alturistic and particularly with having a daughter this year and wanting to set a good example decided to take the plunge today.

Can only offer 3 hours a week at the moment as not sure how much spare time I will have. At the local food bank, said I'm happy to do either the handouts out front though not sure how well I'll do as imagine the stories will be pretty Heartwrenching, or packing the boxes out the back. But it's something at least.

Anyone on here volunteer anywhere regularly? A good experience?

Depends where you are.
Would you like to take part in The Great Manchester Run?

Totally this.

The stuff I do keeps me sane, particularly the times I have to work with City Wankers. So few people know about it and no one person, Other than my other half, knows it all. I chose carefully what I do to interest me too.

I understand it’s frowned upon to be immodest about your charity work , but speaking as someone who has worked for lots of different charities, we love it when people shout about the work they do. We need it to get other people to give or volunteer.

I understand it’s frowned upon to be immodest about your charity work , but speaking as someone who has worked for lots of different charities, we love it when people shout about the work they do. We need it to get other people to give or volunteer.
Mine isn't so much charity work, more voluntary work. Same sort of thing though... giving my own time to ultimately help other people's lives.

My mrs does(no)
And its like another full time job. And the abuse she receives was ridiculous. Sorted now. this was from fully grown 'intelligent' people who didnt want to do things in official guidelines. Daft thing is its there to protect them and the kids. Shes away most weekends anarl.brill.

So long as you can control the time yourself and are actually passionate about the charity etc, it can be very rewarding.

I am into my third community group in terms of volunteering. The first two began to have expectations and take it for granted, they became a drain. The one I do now has no expectation and really appreciates any help you provide.

So long as you can control the time yourself and are actually passionate about the charity etc, it can be very rewarding.

I am into my third community group in terms of volunteering. The first two began to have expectations and take it for granted, they became a drain. The one I do now has no expectation and really appreciates any help you provide.

I've noticed that there's a line that has begun to get crossed more and more often. My name has been used and my time promised without consultation with me so I would look bad if I didn't do them and I've ended up involved in events that I wouldn't normally go near.
There's also stuff that I've done that should definitely be paid work and not what I signed up for.

The flip side is that I've occasionally taken on paid work and found it so rewarding that I've offered to do a lot more for free. You quickly learn who the genuine people are who appreciate what you do and the ones who think they are doing you a favour by offering to 'buy you a coffee and some cake'.

Starting a new one next week that I'm looking forward to.

Back