Charity/Voluntary Work

MonkeyLove

Striker
Anyone on here do any?

Was thinking about it for a while as wanted to do something alturistic and particularly with having a daughter this year and wanting to set a good example decided to take the plunge today.

Can only offer 3 hours a week at the moment as not sure how much spare time I will have. At the local food bank, said I'm happy to do either the handouts out front though not sure how well I'll do as imagine the stories will be pretty Heartwrenching, or packing the boxes out the back. But it's something at least.

Anyone on here volunteer anywhere regularly? A good experience?

Anyone on here do any?

Was thinking about it for a while as wanted to do something alturistic and particularly with having a daughter this year and wanting to set a good example decided to take the plunge today.

Can only offer 3 hours a week at the moment as not sure how much spare time I will have. At the local food bank, said I'm happy to do either the handouts out front though not sure how well I'll do as imagine the stories will be pretty Heartwrenching, or packing the boxes out the back. But it's something at least.

Good for you, well done

I volunteered in a charity shop while I was on the Dole. Just so happens I got an interview at a place where the assistant manager was the charity shop managers sister in law, so basically I had the job before the interview and iv been there 3 years now. I also got offered a paid job there when it became available so I'd always recommend volunteering to someone whose looking for work as well

Aye do voluntary conservation work for Surrey Wildlife Trust or Amphibian and Reptile Conservation every other weekend. Chopping down trees and cooking your lunch over the bonfire in the country side, class. Hard work though.

Anyone on here do any?

I used to do some mentoring in a North London estate. Was hard work as you really had to earn the trust of the lads involved as they'd come from broken homes.

With it seeing them go from scared young lads to getting apprenticeships and work experience.

Would like to do it again if I had the chance.

Anyone on here do any?

me and my mate have been thinking about this too, was looking into the food banks and the possibility of starting one up. We will probably volunteer at an existing one first to get the gist of it.

I used to volunteer at Washington Old Hall taking school trips round, loved it. I'm now waiting to find out about volunteering for the local community project, working in the creche while parents attend various courses in the centre.

Used to volunteer for community work with autistic kids ( St Cuthbert's care ) and refugee support ( north of England refugees society ).
My actual job is now pretty much in a full time helping capacity so I get all the hard news I can do with through the week.

I volunteer for a hospital based charity as secretary and process our volunteers through the enhanced DBS checks.
You'd be amazed how many people fall at that first hurdle.

Are there any local groups on Facebook?

I went on a community litter pick last weekend tidying up our village.

Mrs R did just that on Saturday. Then plonked all the full placka bags on top of the Crocuses at the end of the street.

I offered to do work for a charity, but they did'nt want me. Was'nt too bothered at the time, but am now delighted that particular offer failed. Would have lead me in another direction, and what i do now leaves me with very little spare time. Plus Mrs. R reckons i would'nt have been suitable.

Back