Changing / removing radiators - advice needed!

daveyt

Winger
Oh wise SMB, I’m very much an amateur in terms of diy sadly. Are there any plumbers out there who could shed any light on how tricky and expensive moving or replacing (want a smaller one) radiators might be?

Want to get a general idea before getting estimates in.

Thanks in advance

Drain system
Remove radiator
Remove wall mounts
Fit new wall mounts
Hang radiator
Lift floorboards
Cut off pipe
Attach new pipe to fit new radiator location
Fasten together
Fill System
Bleed system
Test

Half a days work at most, not sure what plumbers take in daily rates though. Easy enough to do yourself, especially if you use plastic fittings.

Drain system
Remove radiator
Remove wall mounts
Fit new wall mounts
Hang radiator
Lift floorboards
Cut off pipe
Fasten together
Fill System
Bleed system
Test

Half a days work at most, not sure what plumbers take in daily rates though. Easy enough to do yourself, especially if you use plastic fittings.
You’ve missed out one very important step.

Oh wise SMB, I’m very much an amateur in terms of diy sadly. Are there any plumbers out there who could shed any light on how tricky and expensive moving or replacing (want a smaller one) radiators might be?

Thanks in advance

I'm getting two done this week so I'll let you know.

I didn't bother getting a formal quote as the guy has done loads of work for me and I know is good/reasonable, he just said it won't be that much so I'm expecting no more than £200-£300.

Thanks for the replies, so I’m taking out from this that it’s not a very complicated or time consuming job for someone who’s confident they know what they’re doing (ie not me!)

That makes me feel better, ta

Thanks for the replies, so I’m taking out from this that it’s not a very complicated or time consuming job for someone who’s confident they know what they’re doing (ie not me!)

That makes me feel better, ta
Don't forget ptfe tape on the screwthreads
Make sure you're not changing an imperial sized rad for a metric one - metric are smaller and you have to buy "extension tails" to make them fit (only if the pipe is fixed and is too much of a faff to move of course)

Drain system
Remove radiator
Remove wall mounts
Fit new wall mounts
Hang radiator
Lift floorboards
Cut off pipe
Fasten together
Fill System
Bleed system
Test

close valves each end off rad .. Take off .. Job done 5 mins max

But he wants a smaller one, the pipes will be in the wrong place then.

if it’s a direct swap, drain the radiator, swap and re fill.

Thanks in advance
Amazing how many “ experts “ there are on here
so many different types of systems & potential problems
Best to get a pro in & get the job done properly

But he wants a smaller one, the pipes will be in the wrong place then.

if it’s a direct swap, drain the radiator, swap and re fill.
I thought he meant lower, not narrower. But that's just because its something I was planning on doing, so it was on my mind - you're probably right though.

Thanks in advance
You'll need a leccie for that man....:rolleyes: Eeeeeeee lad!!!

Back