Changing prisons the way to stop re offending

Imagine this ever getting past the gammons in this country. Even if the evidence is clear that spending the money to improve conditions, educate and properly rehabilitate inmates will have a massive impact on crime and improve all our lives, the British public simply wouldn't accept inmates being treated like human beings.

How Norway turns criminals into good neighbours
First things first . Calling people Gammons is so f***ing childish and you really need to grow up.
Secondly although I come from the right side of the issue , I am 100% behind giving prisoners an education or a trade. I’m also in agreement with drugs and alcohol rehab and help with mental health.
What I can’t accept is giving them nice cushy cells etc. There has to be an element of punishment after all.

First things first . Calling people Gammons is so f***ing childish and you really need to grow up.
Secondly although I come from the right side of the issue , I am 100% behind giving prisoners an education or a trade. I’m also in agreement with drugs and alcohol rehab and help with mental health.
What I can’t accept is giving them nice cushy cells etc. There has to be an element of punishment after all.
Losing their freedom, being under constant threat of attack, being locked up most of the time is quite a punishment. It isn't "easy" in prison despite what the press say.

Thing is, can you justify getting Yoga instructors in for prisoners when your granny can't get a carer in from social services?

"Tranquillity does not come cheaply. A place at Halden Prison costs about £98,000 per year. The average annual cost of a prison place in England in Wales is now about £40,000, or £59,000 in a Category A prison."

Even as a left wing loon that understands the benefits of this I can't help but think that money could be better serves elsewhere.

Look at the other numbers though. If they have a 20% reoffending rate in 2 years and we have a 50% reoffending rate in 1 year than it pays for itself very quickly as offenders will not be going back to jail......On top of that you have less crimes being committed so the financial savings in terms of insurance etc as well as the human cost to both victims, offenders and family of offenders is lessened.

Losing their freedom, being under constant threat of attack, being locked up most of the time is quite a punishment. It isn't "easy" in prison despite what the press say.

This, its my worst nightmare, that nightmare would not be lessened by the cell being clean and comfortable.

There is, you lose your freedom, often for a very long time. Putting people in cells with rats, open sewage on the floors, and under threat of massive amounts of violence etc is not part of the sentence given, is not humane and surely is not what we as a country should aspire to be? All very well wanting prison to be horrible to punish people but one day those people will come out and statistics suggest that it is far less of a deterrent in terms of going back than the Norwegian prisons.

Last edited:
Look at the other numbers though. If they have a 20% reoffending rate in 2 years and we have a 50% reoffending rate in 1 year than it pays for itself very quickly as offenders will not be going back to jail......On top of that you have less crimes being committed so the financial savings in terms of insurance etc as well as the human cost to both victims, offenders and family of offenders is lessened.
Providing granny with a carer can reduce the chances of her requiring expensive treatment from the NHS after being injured in the home resulting in her going into a home that costs the taxpayer a fortune.

And granny isn't a thieving raper.

I agree with you and the article but as a victim of a violent crime most wouldn’t be happy seeing the offender being sent off for Yoga.

The general public usually want blood.

And unfortunately the statistics suggest that after spending time in one of Britains appalling prisons there will be more violence and blood but it will be more victims suffering rather than the person who went to prison. Its an insane situation where a desperate craving for retribution at all costs goes against the good of all parties involved.

Providing granny with a carer can reduce the chances of her requiring expensive treatment from the NHS after being injured in the home resulting in her going into a home that costs the taxpayer a fortune.

And granny isn't a thieving raper.

Like I said, the two things are not connected. Having shit prisons does now mean Granny gets any better treatment, those governments (like the current one) who cut public services, do so for ideological reasons not need. You are right though, if we invested in treating people well then there would be less financial costs in both prisons and the situation you described too.

Last edited:
Our prisons are rammed with EU criminals rather than deporting the fuckers, who shouldn't have been allowed here in the first place.

But let's all hail the wonderful 'four freedoms' our EU overlords have bestowed upon us.
What a load of 5hite.

If they are from the EU they are allowed here for a start, and care to present some evidence to back up your fag packet theory?

What a load of 5hite.

If they are from the EU they are allowed here for a start, and care to present some evidence to back up your fag packet theory?

Its mind blowing people just come out with stupid shite like this without offering any evidence.......And of course Im sure there are no UK citizens in prisons abroad

Like I said, the two things are not connected. Having shit prisons does now mean Granny gets any better treatment, those governments (like the current one) who cut public services, do so for ideological reasons not need. You are right though, if we invested in treating people well then there would be less financial costs in both prisons and the situation you described too.
They are connected, by the gid wass pot of money we use to pay for public services.

You know I agree with you on prison reform, I just don't think it's a realistic option this decade.

I’ve spoken to a large amount of ex cons and most tell me that prison is easy to deal with. They may be full of bravado and be filling me with shit but that is the response I have had .

Indeed, but that’s because small minded Mail and Express readers are all permanently OUTRAGED
I don't think so tbh. Reform is hard, expensive, and any government that tried it would be out of power long before it paid off.

I'm a proper lefty and even I think it's difficult to justify prison reform like given the public spending decisions of the last decade. In my opinion austerity has caused a increase in offending and we should probably try to roll some of that back before going for recidivism.

I’ve spoken to a large amount of ex cons and most tell me that prison is easy to deal with. They may be full of bravado and be filling me with shit but that is the response I have had .

We live in a country where working people have to use food banks. Will be a stack of folks in jail who are there for a roof over there heads and three meals a day.

Imagine this ever getting past the gammons in this country. Even if the evidence is clear that spending the money to improve conditions, educate and properly rehabilitate inmates will have a massive impact on crime and improve all our lives, the British public simply wouldn't accept inmates being treated like human beings.

I've been banging on about this for ten years

Our way simply does not work, and creates a huge cost.

Thing is, can you justify getting Yoga instructors in for prisoners when your granny can't get a carer in from social services?

"Tranquillity does not come cheaply. A place at Halden Prison costs about £98,000 per year. The average annual cost of a prison place in England in Wales is now about £40,000, or £59,000 in a Category A prison."

Even as a left wing loon that understands the benefits of this I can't help but think that money could be better serves elsewhere.
When you reduce reoffending rates , you end up with a smaller prison population So it actually pays for itself plus all the other benefits.

Last edited:
A more cool parents approach may work over the long term but maybe have different types of places
I think the first impression of a prison a first offender should get is
Holy shit what is this place ! I've well and truly fkd up .
Maybe it's somewhere the established prison population aren't

Even without the right wing press, prison reform just isn't a vote winner.
Gets your picture on a £5 note though. Reckon Bell-end Boris will ever appear on our currency?

Jesus wept.

Is this another one of those times when a brexiter ignores facts?

Are our prisons "filling up with foreigners"?

It was probably written on the side of a bus.... the Brexiteers' newspaper of choice.

Its mind blowing people just come out with stupid shite like this without offering any evidence.......And of course Im sure there are no UK citizens in prisons abroad
Indeed.... also, when people bang on about "these foriegn criminals" they tend to forget that we're doing perfectly well thank you home-growing our own theiving, drug-addicted chavs as a visit to any magistrates' court in the country will confirm.

Last edited:
This for me, prison serves 3 purposes, punishment, protecting the public and rehabilitation.....All are necessary but in the UK the one that will change our society and reduced re offending is completely ignored........Sadly we are further away from dealing with it than ever as anybody in power who sees that article will start banging on about Left liberal snowflakes and completely ignore the fact it works.

Sadly this is 100% the reality. Imagine the outrage in the Daily Mail/Sun/Express if UK prisoners were given decent cells like that with Yoga classes and training.....They would literally explode and start banging on about pensioners in care and X soldiers not being treated as well as if there was some kind of connection between the two things.

This is a matter of wholehearted political reform. Clearly establish a penal time in sentencing based on danger to public and then a second period of open sentencing.

It’s not just prison conditions that will make a difference, most the prisoners would be coming back out into the same old poverty stricken areas with the same people around. Until investment is made in improving poverty and shit hole areas across the country simply just changing prison conditions may not have the desired effect imo.

Back