Changing prisons the way to stop re offending

Saving money helps everyone

Less crime helps everyone

More educated work force helps everyone

What's the downside ?
The downside is that any party that has this in their manifesto is never getting a sniff of power, public spending cuts have soured too many over the last decade for this to fly with the electorate.

You've changed your tune :) There was a time you were happy for folk to go to jail for contempt of court and be put in solitary confinement in max security prisons for weeks :)

You mean Tommy Robinson, I still am mate, he is beyond redemption and after several visits to prison has proved he is getting worse........Maybe he just needs a better system though.

How’s Anders Breiviks rehabilitation going?

Will be be out soon and allowed to continue his crusade to re-educate the left wing?

Think he is in prison for the rest of his life is he not? Why would that change?

The downside is that any party that has this in their manifesto is never getting a sniff of power, public spending cuts have soured too many over the last decade for this to fly with the electorate.
Yep. The media will use it to stir up trouble to sell papers of course

We can't have any sensible conversations in this country anymore

I’ve spoken to a large amount of ex cons and most tell me that prison is easy to deal with. They may be full of bravado and be filling me with shit but that is the response I have had .

And I bet every single one of them counted down the time left plus I would bet my house, non of the. Begged to stay.

And I bet every single one of them counted down the time left plus I would bet my house, non of the. Begged to stay.
I have had on occasions, ex cons expressing a wish to be back inside but on the whole I imagine most would prefer not to be inside that is a fairly obvious conclusion.

Doubt it, the thing that scares me about prison is being locked up with other criminals and not being able to see my family and kids when I want. Losing your liberty and being locked up is a massive punishment to the vast majority of people....Those who it would not deterred are not deterred with our current system either and in reality are more likely to keep going back time and time again under our system.
But, taking that argument to it's logical conclusion, it makes no difference what it's like once you get inside.

I agree with the OP in the three purposes of prison,however only two are guaranteed imo.

To rehabilitate the offender must actually want to change.You cant just place the blame for re-offending rates on the state of prisons and the probation service.

Back