Changing careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone drastically changed their career to something in a completely different field? I'm currently working in finance after sort of falling into it after Uni and wanting some job security after turning down some jobs in the City (did an internship at an investment bank who laid off 5,000 people during my time there).

My current job isn't fullfilling at all and while I've got the ACA qualification under my belt, the thought of spending the rest of my career/life auditing accounts or working accounts makes me feel ill.

I've been thinking about pilot school to become a commercial pilot. I've set aside some cash to go towards the huge training fees but I don't know whether it's a bit late in the day for that specific career (I'm 28). I'd love to do it though, but I'm currently on decent money and would initially see me probably half my salary for at least 3-4 years.

There's a lot in the whole "you only live once" mentality but then again, f***ing it up
from a relatively comfortable position doesn't make it any better.

As ACA qualified can you not jump sectors within the industry? The Mrs was at the big 4 and jumped into Strategy at an IB. Seems to love it compared to what she was doing.

Similarly we are considering our options. We were thinking of jacking it in and going travelling but I think we may go half way and move to Singapore if possible. We would both love to sack off work, but the older you get, you get more wise (or more scared).

I have just moved into contracting in the city. Just for a bit of a change from what I did. Still not where I want to be and unsure what the next move is. It was nice moving though, changes the routine!

i served my time as a welder and did the job for 20 years. took redundancy and did the tests to drive wagons. been on them for about 14 years now. best thing i've ever done but currently looking at going down the ladder even further.
there's a lot to be said for being at the bottom.

I have always seemed to change direction every 7 to 9 yrs as I get bored. 48 now and just sold a business after 9 yrs. Will keep the other businesses going till I get bored again and sell them.
Time is ticking so take the plunge and go for it.....if it doesn't work out then do something else.

I left financial services at 49 to train for mental health social work. Now working as a CBT therapist. Never too late to change , but I don't think I will make it as a jockey at this stage, not least cos I'm nearly 60, can't ride a hoss and weigh 14 clem :(

Become a steeple chaser, mate; big horses.

I left my last career after 23 years in it as it was making me very ill. Talking therapy helped a great deal.

Self employed now in a completely different direction and am just enjoying life. I can transfer some of the skills I developed in my previous path, but this new route is just brilliant. Look forward to each day in work now. Sounds daft but leave for graft with a smile on my face and return home with a smile on my face (Sometimes 14 hours later). However, when I get home that is it for the day

Yes. I did a PhD in Molecular Biology /Biochemistry for four years and now work in software/tech.

Was easy to do mind as I'm still in my mid-20s.
A well trodden path. Most of the graduates we recruited had science degrees rather than specific computing ones. Quite a few had gone down the academic route etc to begin with but then made the switch when it wasn't what they hoped it would be.

Has anyone drastically changed their career to something in a completely different field? I'm currently working in finance after sort of falling into it after Uni and wanting some job security after turning down some jobs in the City (did an internship at an investment bank who laid off 5,000 people during my time there).

My current job isn't fullfilling at all and while I've got the ACA qualification under my belt, the thought of spending the rest of my career/life auditing accounts or working accounts makes me feel ill.

I've been thinking about pilot school to become a commercial pilot. I've set aside some cash to go towards the huge training fees but I don't know whether it's a bit late in the day for that specific career (I'm 28). I'd love to do it though, but I'm currently on decent money and would initially see me probably half my salary for at least 3-4 years.

There's a lot in the whole "you only live once" mentality but then again, f***ing it up
from a relatively comfortable position doesn't make it any better.
I made a big change a couple of years ago. Don't regret it for a minute.
https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/a-new-challenge.1139143/

Interestingly whilst searching for this this thread, I found a couple of others from me before I made the jump and I was obviously thinking about it for a while.
Made big changes in my life a couple of times and only thing I've regretted is not doing it sooner.

Last edited:
I've worked in charity since I left University, but I still don't know if it's what I want to do, I'm just good at it so I've stuck to it.
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I left the charity sector so some job/career suggestions would be useful.

I did the national careers service tests and even spoke to someone and when they said "What would you like to do?" I said that's the problem, I don't know.

I've worked in charity since I left University, but I still don't know if it's what I want to do, I'm just good at it so I've stuck to it.
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I left the charity sector so some job/career suggestions would be useful.

I did the national careers service tests and even spoke to someone and when they said "What would you like to do?" I said that's the problem, I don't know.
Easier said than done but the easiest test is to say "What would I do with my time if I won the lottery?"
Obviously the first few answers would be along the hookers and blow line but eventually you'd settle on something you really enjoy doing. The trick is to turn whatever that is into a career.

Easier said than done but the easiest test is to say "What would I do with my time if I won the lottery?"
Obviously the first few answers would be along the hookers and blow line but eventually you'd settle on something you really enjoy doing. The trick is to turn whatever that is into a career.

I've volunteered in a radio station before but that was quite a while ago and funnily enough they don't just take people on just because they give up 2 weeks of their holidays.
I've worked behind a bar and in kitchens when I was at college
I've volunteered at a small brewery. I enjoyed that but could I do it all year round? Possibly but I'd need a range of things to do.

My other problem is I'm slightly trapped by what I earn, which isn't a fantastic amount, but going from that to entry level anything seems like a massive drop

I suppose I've got to have a real think about what I want out of life, which is effectively someone to pay me money to live and I'll potter around doing things I want to do.
That would be nice

I've volunteered in a radio station before but that was quite a while ago and funnily enough they don't just take people on just because they give up 2 weeks of their holidays.
I've worked behind a bar and in kitchens when I was at college
I've volunteered at a small brewery. I enjoyed that but could I do it all year round? Possibly but I'd need a range of things to do.

My other problem is I'm slightly trapped by what I earn, which isn't a fantastic amount, but going from that to entry level anything seems like a massive drop

I suppose I've got to have a real think about what I want out of life, which is effectively someone to pay me money to live and I'll potter around doing things I want to do.
That would be nice
Open a brewery with its own bar and radio station.;)

I've worked in IT for about 25 years but the only other career I fancy is as a beer taster at safc matches.

I might as well try to stick it out for 15-20 years and save/invest as much as I can.

If I took a pay cut it'd mean too many changes to our home life.

I could be a jockey mind. Aside from the fact I'm scared of hosses

I fancied the pilot thing but Im scared of flying!

I work in IT but am looking to set up my own business. Thats where the real money is.

Broad sweeping statement.

For every success theres shitloads of failures.

Wasnt the government giving loads of school leavers setup grants? You know absolutely fuck all at that age, bet 90% dont get to year two!

Last edited:
I went from managing a chain of Dry Cleaners to a self-employed Landscape Gardener. Never once used my A-Level in IT or German throughout my working life.

I'll turn my hand to anything tbh. Pilot's a bit of a stretch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back