Changing careers mid 30s

heard a few people recommending this as a career path to my lasses teenage daughter. unfortunately none of us actually know what it means, what the work involves, how to get into it or if there is any decent career paths in it. but it always seems to be clever people advising it.

so what is it, in layman's terms?
making computer programs...

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/...ries-E11891_D_KO8,32.htm?countryRedirect=true

Or don’t, as everyone else is
but not everyone can

I'm 38 and i feel like i'm reaching the end of the road for me in IT. Just cant get excited about coming to work anymore and its really not helping my mental state at present.

Only issue is i dont really know what to do anymore as IT stuff is all i've ever done.

Been massively into cricket most of my life and had thought about teaching myself how to make cricket bats and selling them but not really sure if that would support the family as a career.

Try and get into the Railways - fantastic money to be made as a Train Driver if that's your bag.
Odd hours, but great pay and benefits
Plus, about once every 12 weeks you get paid for reading the paper in the Canteen all week
I worked in a call centre until I was almost 38, been driving the Metro for 4 years and in the next month or so will be starting as a driver at Transpennine Express. I wouldn’t have fancied the weekend working when I was younger but I don’t mind it now and the money I’ll be on will more than make up for the odd match I’ll miss!

Back