Changing careers mid 30s

gazc24

Striker
Anyone ever done this before? I've worked in the same industry pretty much since I left school but got made redundant last year, since then I've worked a few agency jobs, Nissan suppliers the usual but I've been bored shitless by most and just fancy trying a few new things but don't know we're to turn.

Anyone ever done this before? I've worked in the same industry pretty much since I left school but got made redundant last year, since then I've worked a few agency jobs, Nissan suppliers the usual but I've been bored shitless by most and just fancy trying a few new things but don't know we're to turn.
ever tried telesales? lot of money to be made in a short time frame providing you're willing to graft. can be soul destroying at times mind.

You need to think about how important money is and how important job satisfaction is to you as well.

It is also worth thinking about what you would really enjoy doing, although this could be difficult in itself. Do you like working with others or on your own. Do you like working for others or for yourself, etc?

Then you might have to train and re-skill in order to follow a new path. Not something to be done lightly but well worth doing in order to give you some flexibility in my opinion.

I ended up self-employed after getting additional qualifications and wished I’d done it earlier. It was the right thing for me, but it’s worth taking the time and trying a couple of things to work out what might be right for you.

What did you do?

What do you fancy doing?

I drove fork lift trucks until I was about 27-28. Moved into IT although I had been using computers for years so was already quite experienced, that said, I had to take my arse back to college for those couple of bits of paper.

It can be done though, just gotta go for it and keep the faith when things get a little bumpy.

Learn to code

heard a few people recommending this as a career path to my lasses teenage daughter. unfortunately none of us actually know what it means, what the work involves, how to get into it or if there is any decent career paths in it. but it always seems to be clever people advising it.

so what is it, in layman's terms?

heard a few people recommending this as a career path to my lasses teenage daughter. unfortunately none of us actually know what it means, what the work involves, how to get into it or if there is any decent career paths in it. but it always seems to be clever people advising it.

so what is it, in layman's terms?

It a very broad term mate tbh, it could mean coding apps/websites or just general software.

When I started learning code mine was all website/database related. I then got into things like python etc when I worked on the battlefield games.

Best thing would be to just go and Google, read up on areas she finds interesting and then delve a bit deeper into that field. There are so many different areas and forms of code.

Small amount of Pc work but basically machine ops at a print place. I just fancy a change from "you need to produce 160 parts per hour" and working for soulless companies.

Try IT support. You can get support jobs with average pc knowledge and then you have a foot in the door.

I spent 20 years as a welder from leaving school then took redundancy and jacked in.
Spent the last 15 years or so driving the wagons. Best thing i've ever done.
It's a scary move but good luck whatever you end up doing.

Back