Changing £s to euros in Debenhams

Status
Not open for further replies.

brir

Striker
Anyone come across this

Changed some money last Saturday and the transaction duly appeared on my online banking

It was followed by another charge which turned out to be 2% of what I purchased shown as "cash fee" on my ob. This was not an amount I had authorised in my original transaction

My bank confirmed that this was a charge raised by Debenhams, which strangely they, the bank refunded. They said that this happened before and they woulc claim it back from Debs

Surely this is sharp practise by Debenhams. No mention of a surcharge was made at the time of purchase. This happened to anyone else??

Will be going down the Bridges on Saturday to shout at someone....

Anyone come across this

Changed some money last Saturday and the transaction duly appeared on my online banking

It was followed by another charge which turned out to be 2% of what I purchased shown as "cash fee" on my ob. This was not an amount I had authorised in my original transaction

My bank confirmed that this was a charge raised by Debenhams, which strangely they, the bank refunded. They said that this happened before and they woulc claim it back from Debs

Surely this is sharp practise by Debenhams. No mention of a surcharge was made at the time of purchase. This happened to anyone else??

Will be going down the Bridges on Saturday to shout at someone....
Did you use your credit card?

Nope, debit card. Could understand it if it was a credit card

Debs have always offered good exchange rates. Well, they did until they started rinsing you for 2%...
I always change money at Debenhams but always use cash.Whenever I've thought about using my card elsewhere in the past they have always said that my bank may charge me so that's why I always change cash now.

Was the surcharge on your receipt?

I always change money at Debenhams but always use cash.Whenever I've thought about using my card elsewhere in the past they have always said that my bank may charge me so that's why I always change cash now.

Was the surcharge on your receipt?

Surcharge did not appear on the receipt, and the bank (Coop) said it was levied by Debenhams. They the bank, refunded straight away which was a bit curious I thought.

Surcharge did not appear on the receipt, and the bank (Coop) said it was levied by Debenhams. They the bank, refunded straight away which was a bit curious I thought.
Yeah sounds a bit dubious as that would basically be Debenhams stealing from your account.Like I said everytime I've thought about using debit card I've been warned that bank may charge me.I think they class it the same as withdrawing cash abroad,God knows why like.

Yeah sounds a bit dubious as that would basically be Debenhams stealing from your account.Like I said everytime I've thought about using debit card I've been warned that bank may charge me.I think they class it the same as withdrawing cash abroad,God knows why like.

Take your point about the bank charging, but they would not know that I had changed money. It shows on my statement as a purchase from Debenhams.

Something not right here....

Take your point about the bank charging, but they would not know that I had changed money. It shows on my statement as a purchase from Debenhams.

Something not right here....
Are you going to Greece?

It's the banks that charge as foreign exchange fees normally. Take cash. And also get onto the money-saving expert.com site in the travel money section. If you show the teller your phone they will give you the online rate which is better.

Best exchange rates I've had in England for the past number of years.

@brir
It's Co-op not Debenhams.

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/customerservices/travel/charges-rates

If you use your debit card to purchase foreign currency or travellers cheques from other retailers in the United Kingdom, such as Post Offices, Bureau de Change or travel agents we will not charge you a cash fee, however you may be charged for purchasing from another bank. 2% of the value of the currency/cheques or £2 (whichever is greater)

It's the banks that charge as foreign exchange fees normally. Take cash. And also get onto the money-saving expert.com site in the travel money section. If you show the teller your phone they will give you the online rate which is better.

Best exchange rates I've had in England for the past number of years.

Ok, but I dont how my bank would know that I had changed money. It shows as a purchase in Debenhams. Plus why should my bank get a share of a transaction between myself and a retailer?

Ok, but I dont how my bank would know that I had changed money. It shows as a purchase in Debenhams. Plus why should my bank get a share of a transaction between myself and a retailer?
Normally it is because you're buying Euros not doing a Sterling transaction. I could be wrong with this and Debenhams but in any case that you do a Euro transaction (eg online payment, cash withdrawal at an ATM abroad) you will be hit with a foreign transaction fee and possibly an additional withdrawal fee if applicable.

What bank are you with?

@brir
It's Co-op not Debenhams.

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/customerservices/travel/charges-rates

If you use your debit card to purchase foreign currency or travellers cheques from other retailers in the United Kingdom, such as Post Offices, Bureau de Change or travel agents we will not charge you a cash fee, however you may be charged for purchasing from another bank. 2% of the value of the currency/cheques or £2 (whichever is greater)

Ok, but they were quick to refund it when I queried it with them , the bank that is. Plus, the bank said it was a charge levied not by them, but by Debs. Curious

Normally it is because you're buying Euros not doing a Sterling transaction. I could be wrong with this and Debenhams but in any case that you do a Euro transaction (eg online payment, cash withdrawal at an ATM abroad) you will be hit with a foreign transaction fee and possibly an additional withdrawal fee if applicable.

What bank are you with?

Coop. So, take cash in future to avoid the levy?

Ok, but they were quick to refund it when I queried it with them , the bank that is. Plus, the bank said it was a charge levied not by them, but by Debs. Curious

Coop. So, take cash in future to avoid the levy?
Always cash, si.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back