Changes to my contract (notice period)

JohnnyKaysTractor

Reserve Squad
Hello all. Long time lurker here and just after some advice from those with HR knowledge. In early 2020, I signed a contract labelled as 'Initial' which stated that I was subject to 3 months' notice period. This seemed excessive as I'm not in a senior role, but something I was willing to accept as notice perdiods work both ways and with the onslaught of lockdown #1, it felt like a safeguard should the job become unsafe. Due to a change in remuneration in November 2020, I signed a 'Revised' contract which did not include any mention of notice. Does this mean that the contractual notice period has been reduced from 3 months' down to statutory notice due to the revised contract superseding the initial contract? I'm going to contact my union tomorrow for confirmation but I wanted to see what others' understanding and experiences were of this, as I have little knowledge of employment contract law.

Thanks for your help!!!

In my last place I signed a contract saying I had to give them 3 months notice if I left. However, they only had to give me a months money if they wanted shot of me!

Due to covid, through redundancy I got my month's money the back end of October.

Happily I'm back working again on better money than I was on before and a far better commute too 😁

Thanks Keith, good for you, I'm glad you've ended up in a better position. More money is always good but from a lifestyle point of view, cutting the commute is even better. I'm busy looking elsewhere, but I'm not at any high level and I think a 3 month contract would scare some employers off where the standard length is 1 month. I'm thinking my new contract takes precedence due to it being the most recent countersigned contract. I can find out tomorrow just being impatient by posting on here :)
The initial contract had a condition stating 'You will be required to give 3 months' notice to terminate this contract' with particulars attached stating 'All staff must provide 1 week notice within the first 52 weeks and 1 month after 52 weeks unless stated otherwise in your Contract of Employment'. I therefore took that I was on 3 months' notice, then I received the Revised version with no particulars attached and the notice period excluded as one of the contract conditions.
There's also no reference made to the Initial contract on the Revised version.

Last edited:
I did, I started in April 2020 and the probationary period of 6 months was met (November 2020) when the revision to the contract was made, as changes were made to the remuneration. It's only now that I'm looking at application forms for other positions that I've realised that the revision doesn't have the 3 months' notice condition. Having looked closer, I have signed to agree the Particulars which weren't presented with the revision, so assuming they are the same as the original/initial contract, 'All staff must provide 1 week notice within the first 52 weeks and 1 month after 52 weeks unless stated otherwise in your Contract of Employment'.

There was a mention about Probationary Period but no stipulations about notice period, just what I've mentioned above.

Thanks

Last edited:
In my last place I signed a contract saying I had to give them 3 months notice if I left. However, they only had to give me a months money if they wanted shot of me!

Due to covid, through redundancy I got my month's money the back end of October.

Happily I'm back working again on better money than I was on before and a far better commute too 😁
Look at me, instead of answer the OP 🙄

Op - sorry, not sure, sounds best to check with union

I did, I started in April 2020 and the probationary period of 6 months was met (November 2020) when the revision to the contract was made, as changes were made to the remuneration. It's only now that I'm looking at application forms for other positions that I've realised that the revision doesn't have the 3 months' notice condition. Having looked closer, I have signed to agree the Particulars which weren't presented with the revision, so assuming they are the same as the original/initial contract, 'All staff must provide 1 week notice within the first 52 weeks and 1 month after 52 weeks unless stated otherwise in your Contract of Employment'.

There was a mention about Probationary Period but no stipulations about notice period, just what I've mentioned above.

Thanks
Sounds a little weird but it might just be the way the contracts have been revised i.e poorly.
Probably just best off shooting an email across to HR querying it to begin with?

If your new contract actually contains the word " Revised Contract" I would take that to mean it has replaced your "Initial Contract", and so yes you are now covered only by the statutory notice period, but yes, a quick email to HR should put your mind ar rest.

Back