Championship transfers

Where did Wallace go mate?

Seems crazy how we're nearly 5 weeks away from the start of the season and we haven't signed a new player. I know there are other teams in a similar position, but I don't really care about them.
WBA, Wallace and John Swift both good attacking signings for them. You'd expect them to be in with a strong shout.

We were a good few days into July before we signed Pritchard last year so I'm not too worried at this stage, the current squad is also more complete than it was at this stage last year. The current recruitment set up have a bit of a track record of waiting until later on to do deals - Stewart was signed late on in the 1st Jan window, we had no full backs until the 2nd league game last summer and obviously very active on deadline day in Jan just gone.

Seems it's a definite strategy of ours to wait to sign the right players rather than whoever we can bring in at the earliest opportunity.

Where did Wallace go mate?

Seems crazy how we're nearly 5 weeks away from the start of the season and we haven't signed a new player. I know there are other teams in a similar position, but I don't really care about them.
West Brom. They got a couple of good frees in Swift and Wallace.

I am going to pretend I am calm about the whole situation, while refreshing web pages every 2 mins looking for some news.

Edit: clearly not refreshing quickly enough as @magic snood got in before me.

Last edited:
Millwall have lost a lot of quality from their squad, and need a good window to stand still.

Jed Wallace leaving is a huge blow. Ballard, Afobe, Burke, and Ojo returning to their respective clubs will also significantly weaken them (particularly the first 2).
Just signed Afobe mind.

That's exactly what he is.

He's never held down a position when a player has come back fit...its bizarre you think otherwise. If he couldn't fill in when needed, he wouldn't have been given a new contract full stop.

Anyway, it's clear that we'll have to agree to disagree on the lad.
Only going to find out if he is good enough once he starts playing there. But you’re wrong about he couldn’t hold a spot down when players came back from injury is wrong, last 20ish games of last season what injured players place was he keeping and that’s just for starters.

Only going to find out if he is good enough once he starts playing there. But you’re wrong about he couldn’t hold a spot down when players came back from injury is wrong, last 20ish games of last season what injured players place was he keeping and that’s just for starters.

Dan Neil, he played 30 odd games, scored 3 goals along with 7 assists and looked a much better option before burning himself out. Alex Neil came in and rarely picked the same side consecutively. Onien did OK in those games towards the end, but could you really tell me that he was a main contributor to us going up?....I don't think so.

Looking at his time overall in a Sunderland shirt, he's rarely been a standout performer in League One so obvious questions are going to be asked about him stepping up. No one is calling his commitment and work rate, but more is needed the higher up the level you go.

I hope we've got a better plan in hand than just Onien and Evans as spoilers...it'll be a long hard season if so.

Dan Neil, he played 30 odd games, scored 3 goals along with 7 assists and looked a much better option before burning himself out. Alex Neil came in and rarely picked the same side consecutively. Onien did OK in those games towards the end, but could you really tell me that he was a main contributor to us going up?....I don't think so.

Looking at his time overall in a Sunderland shirt, he's rarely been a standout performer in League One so obvious questions are going to be asked about him stepping up. No one is calling his commitment and work rate, but more is needed the higher up the level you go.

I hope we've got a better plan in hand than just Onien and Evans as spoilers...it'll be a long hard season if so.

Its fine for them to spoil when you have Pritchard, Embleton and Roberts all buzzing around Ross Stewart. Then theres the alternatives, Like Matete or Dan Neil coming into midfield. This is all before we've really signed anyone.

For me, for those attacking players to have more freedom to do what they're best at you need players like O'nien and Evans in there to screen, spoil and break up the play. They can then pass to the likes of Roberts or Pritchard who are more likely to make meaningful attacks happen.

Its fine for them to spoil when you have Pritchard, Embleton and Roberts all buzzing around Ross Stewart. Then theres the alternatives, Like Matete or Dan Neil coming into midfield. This is all before we've really signed anyone.

For me, for those attacking players to have more freedom to do what they're best at you need players like O'nien and Evans in there to screen, spoil and break up the play. They can then pass to the likes of Roberts or Pritchard who are more likely to make meaningful attacks happen.

It's fine for them to break up play, but they've still got to be good enough to either carry the ball foward or be able to make a key pass foward...to things that neither Onien or (to a lesser extent) Evans are known for and that's where the crux of the matter for me. Pick one or the other and then have a ball player alongside to get the ball forward or we'll be under pressure.

Let's not forget that bothe Evans and Pritchard had to drop down a level and as much as I like Pritch, his goals and assists stats were pretty poor for League One.

Everyone has a massive step up to make in my opinion.

It's fine for them to break up play, but they've still got to be good enough to either carry the ball foward or be able to make a key pass foward...to things that neither Onien or (to a lesser extent) Evans are known for and that's where the crux of the matter for me. Pick one or the other and then have a ball player alongside to get the ball forward or we'll be under pressure.

Let's not forget that bothe Evans and Pritchard had to drop down a level and as much as I like Pritch, his goals and assists stats were pretty poor for League One.

Everyone has a massive step up to make in my opinion.

I still maintain its fine just to have functional midfielders at Champo level, in the PL then yeah they need to have more about them definitely. Pritchard has already proven himself previously at this level and had 11 or 12 goal involvement the season just gone? Thats a canny output, baring in mind he came with covid and had a few other injuries too.

Its a step up aye, lets be optimistic these lads can do it though rather than writing them off already. Signings to come in to bolster the squad yet too.

Disagree with most of that

Am I right in saying the players we’ve been linked with have been Nathan Broadhead, Daniel Ballard, Jack Clarke, Daniel Iversen, Ravel Morrison, Josh Murphy, John Ruddy, Jack Rudoni, Dion Sanderson and obviously a new contract for Bailey Wright?

If so, seems pretty obvious where we’re prioritising so far - goalkeeper, centre back and an attacker who’s comfortable playing both wide and inside.
Or it's obvious where the gaps in our squad are and people are trying to put two and two together.

Aside from Broadhead who Speakman has directly said we were talking to Everton about the rest is rumour.
The current recruitment set up have a bit of a track record of waiting until later on to do deals - Stewart was signed late on in the 1st Jan window, we had no full backs until the 2nd league game last summer and obviously very active on deadline day in Jan just gone.
Agree there. Probably be worse with the season starting sooner this year but the transfer deadline still being the end of the month. Would imagine the timeline of a lot of transfers will still be dictated by the deadline rather than the kick off.

Last edited:

Back