Championship clubs threatening to break away

Two historically great clubs. Hardly nobodies.
I agree they're not nobodies, but no where near us for history, size and potential.
Let me explain very briefly :
Until the mid 1960's Leeds were always a mediocre, mid size club based in a rugby league city. Founded in 1919 and played in the Midland league.
Don Revie's famous quote still resonates " I wish Leeds had Sunderland's support", we broke their ground record 57,000 in 1967 cup tie where we swelled Elland Road and there were loads of us locked out,as well. Police estimated 20,000 Sunderland fans down there.
They have won 2 First Division titles, 1 FA cup and 1 League cup and were beaten in the European Cup final in 74/75 by Bayern Munich under Jimmy Armfield's stewardship. Due to their successes, geographic position with excellent road and rail network they have pulled support from areas further afield and given them a good following in recent years.
I'll never forget how we overwhelmed them at Wembley in 73, with loads of red and whites in their end and in the neutral areas of Wembley. Years later a workmate down here in Yorkshire told me he couldn't believe how many red and white scarves there was in Wembley, he'd never seen anything like it.
Ironically,and farcically Leeds are regarded as a North East team by TV gurus, ho ho. Never in a million years.

Derby County, on the other hand are a famous old club, being a founder member of the Football League , again a mid sized club, winning Div 1 twice and FA Cup once. Their record gate is under 42,000 at the old Baseball Ground. Despite being based in the centre of the country with excellent road and rail links.

I mention these points as we are surrounded by water to the east of Sunderland, and have no motorway system and very poor rail links. We still pull in massive support from North East and the rest of UK, due to exiled supporters who have remained faithful.If we can get a successful winning side in the top flight the sky will be the limit.

Having said this, both of these clubs should be in the Premier League , as should we.

I hope we continue to thrive, prosper and grow under our new regime and get that top tier built at SOL in my lifetime. I was there in March 1964 when Police estimated 150,000 were trying to get into Roker Park, 7-30 ko, one of four 13 year olds who went down at 4pm and never got in. I never saw one Man Utd supporter either. Crushed to bits and gasping for air for hours. The roads from Durham to Sunderland and South Tyneside to Sunderland were at a standstill .

In terns of today's football money they are. No club outside the top 6 would be missed
Do you think most of the other 80odd clubs in the league would miss the big 6? I doubt it and I ccould not give a shit if I did not see the same big 6 on the telly all he time, oh that’s right I stopped sky because I was sick of seeing the same super sundays year after year

November 2018: Hull City vs Bristol in the Championship live on Sky. Not many people are particularly arsed about it.

November 2021: Hull City vs Bristol in the Premier League 2 live on Sky. Everyone is very excited about this prestigious clash between two great clubs.

Nah im not seeing it myself like.

Leeds have won 3 league titles since we last won a title and Derby have won 2. My point was that @wigwams was calling them absolute nobodies. Anyone outside of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and maybe Spurs wouldn't be missed by the casual fans.
Everything that is wrong with football ! The money which swirls obscenely around that group and 'casual' fans who take priority for their desire to watch football on TV rather than f***ing go to a game

Only Man U, Liverpool,Everton, Spurs, Chelsea, WHU and Arsenal have never played in the third division. Leeds and Derby need to take a reality check.

....and sadly the skunks.

Brighton?

Leeds have spent 42 years of their history outside of the top flight.
You would think they would have come to terms with it by now.
We must be on nearly 30 ??

I agree they're not nobodies, but no where near us for history, size and potential.
Let me explain very briefly :
Until the mid 1960's Leeds were always a mediocre, mid size club based in a rugby league city. Founded in 1919 and played in the Midland league.
Don Revie's famous quote still resonates " I wish Leeds had Sunderland's support", we broke their ground record 57,000 in 1967 cup tie where we swelled Elland Road and there were loads of us locked out,as well. Police estimated 20,000 Sunderland fans down there.
They have won 2 First Division titles, 1 FA cup and 1 League cup and were beaten in the European Cup final in 74/75 by Bayern Munich under Jimmy Armfield's stewardship. Due to their successes, geographic position with excellent road and rail network they have pulled support from areas further afield and given them a good following in recent years.
I'll never forget how we overwhelmed them at Wembley in 73, with loads of red and whites in their end and in the neutral areas of Wembley. Years later a workmate down here in Yorkshire told me he couldn't believe how many red and white scarves there was in Wembley, he'd never seen anything like it.
Ironically,and farcically Leeds are regarded as a North East team by TV gurus, ho ho. Never in a million years.

Derby County, on the other hand are a famous old club, being a founder member of the Football League , again a mid sized club, winning Div 1 twice and FA Cup once. Their record gate is under 42,000 at the old Baseball Ground. Despite being based in the centre of the country with excellent road and rail links.

I mention these points as we are surrounded by water to the east of Sunderland, and have no motorway system and very poor rail links. We still pull in massive support from North East and the rest of UK, due to exiled supporters who have remained faithful.If we can get a successful winning side in the top flight the sky will be the limit.

Having said this, both of these clubs should be in the Premier League , as should we.

I hope we continue to thrive, prosper and grow under our new regime and get that top tier built at SOL in my lifetime. I was there in March 1964 when Police estimated 150,000 were trying to get into Roker Park, 7-30 ko, one of four 13 year olds who went down at 4pm and never got in. I never saw one Man Utd supporter either. Crushed to bits and gasping for air for hours. The roads from Durham to Sunderland and South Tyneside to Sunderland were at a standstill .

Great post mate, enjoyed reading.

Love owt looking back to 50s 60s and esp 70s.
Football these days man, the greed of clubs players and agents, sterile atmospheres in soulless mainly seated grounds, tv overkill, messing fans around by changing dates at the drop of a hat and not compensating fans for it etc etc.
Yes, there were problems back in the "good old days" with hooliganism, awful toilet facilities and occasionally over packed ends, but am so glad I experienced it.

Back