Chain slipping on bicycle - advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 21726
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21726

hopefully someone on here will be able to offer advice as I don't have a clue. Anyway, having recently took up cycling as an alternative to running I bought a Carrera subway from halfords as I didn't really want to spend too much on my first bike just incase I didn't take to it.

Last couple of times out on the bike I have encountered the chain slipping but only in 8th gear .if I just pedal along nice and easy it's fine but as soon as I apply any effort or go uphill the chain starts slipping. If I change to another gear it's fine but I would like to find the problem and rectify it, not just avoid it and use another gear. The bike is about 3 month old and has been used about 20 times.

Thanks in advance.

Just needs the gears setting up, Halfords should do it for free if it's relatively new.

Easy job to actually do but a right pain getting it spot on.

hopefully someone on here will be able to offer advice as I don't have a clue. Anyway, having recently took up cycling as an alternative to running I bought a Carrera subway from halfords as I didn't really want to spend too much on my first bike just incase I didn't take to it.

Last couple of times out on the bike I have encountered the chain slipping but only in 8th gear .if I just pedal along nice and easy it's fine but as soon as I apply any effort or go uphill the chain starts slipping. If I change to another gear it's fine but I would like to find the problem and rectify it, not just avoid it and use another gear. The bike is about 3 month old and has been used about 20 times.

Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by slipping? Is it more a case of it jumps the gears? If so get the gears readjusted, Halfords are notorious for poor set up.

What do you mean by slipping? Is it more a case of it jumps the gears? If so get the gears readjusted, Halfords are notorious for poor set up.
It doesn't jump gear but feels like the chain just slips maybe a few inches but when I'm going hard uphill it's more than an inconvenience, it's quite annoying as I sometimes lose my footing on the pedals.

Is 8th gear the smallest cog on the rear?
Yes

Adjust rear deraillier stop screw, basically, the detaillier isn't travelling far enough to the left big cog
Sounds easy if I knew what a détailler was

It doesn't jump gear but feels like the chain just slips maybe a few inches but when I'm going hard uphill it's more than an inconvenience, it's quite annoying as I sometimes lose my footing on the pedals.

Yes
It's normally caused by wear on the cassette/chain, but if it's new then as above. Just one thing though, have you checked for grass wrapped round the cassette between the cogs?

Take it back to the store and ask them to sort it.

Chances are it's a small adjustment you could manage yourself but it could also be a faulty part, you do sometimes get faulty componenets on new bikes, like I've found out myself. :rolleyes:

Yes

There is two small screws on the rear mech. A 'H' and 'L'. The L prevents the chain dropping off the bottom cog and hasn't been set up correctly. Adjust it to allow the mech to shift slightly further out. Try quarter turns at a time.

Yes

The swingy arm thing near the back cog .

Yes

basically the thing that moves the chain between gears. Have a look on youtube and theres loads of videos that show you how to adjust it, you could probably do a better job than halfords. Turn the adjusting screw slightly then try the gears again, repeat until it goes into all gears without slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back