Centre Back strength

Maybe Ross will if he sticks with a back three. Flanagan doesn't look good on that left side and Baldwin always played on the left side of a back two.

I don't mind Flanagan at CB. Regardless of whether he has played / can play left or right back, he's not looked good on the left of the three. Whether Baldwin gets a shot there might depend on Ross favouring the system over players, rather than players over the system.
If he can bring in a left footed left back with pace I think he’ll give it another shot, in the meantime I hope and pray he’ll leave it be.

Heneghan. I think him or Tilt would be excellent acquisitions and make al the difference to our defence provided we bring in a left back too.
Tilt also has the advantage of being left-footed and comfortable on the ball.

I know that they are no longer very popular or common, but could Blackpool be persuaded to accept a player-plus-cash deal, with either Baldwin or Flanagan going in the opposite direction. Baldwin and Flanagan might also be keen, as a means of obtaining a contract to play beyond the end of this season.

Need to concentrate on what happens further up the pitch in my opinion and keep the ball on the ground....if we press teams and play the ball on the ground, then attack becomes a good way to defend in itself.

What if he is dyslexic? Bad crack that imo.
He probably isn’t but would I fuck take a chance on upsetting the lad if he was.

I know that they are no longer very popular or common, but could Blackpool be persuaded to accept a player-plus-cash deal, with either Baldwin or Flanagan going in the opposite direction. Baldwin and Flanagan might also be keen, as a means of obtaining a contract to play beyond the end of this season.
Unless Tilt is desperate to join us I can’t see Grayson sanctioning the deal, unless someone else is running the show in that respect. I’m not sure of their set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if he is dyslexic? Bad crack that imo.
He's a plastic ( fan ) and we'll capable of stringing a sentence together....So not bad crack ....He's a massive WUM. ..read his past posts, for whatever reason he chooses to act the dick

Or even take them both and do us a favour.

Last edited:
ba;dwin is fine as third-fourth choice..you wo get better than him to be a reserve CB at this level..
This time last year everyone thought Baldwin was the business.

I actually don't think we're too bad at centre half. Put them in a proper system and take the responsibility of trying to play football away from them and they should be fine. There might be the inherent clanger or two there but it's League 1 innit.

Last edited:
He's a plastic ( fan ) and we'll capable of stringing a sentence together....So not bad crack ....He's a massive WUM. ..read his past posts, for whatever reason he chooses to act the dick

It is though - you’ve no idea of his circumstances. By all means pull someone to bits in an argument if you don’t agree but why go personal.
He probably isn’t but would I fuck take a chance on upsetting the lad if he was.

Unless Tilt is desperate to join us I can’t see Grayson sanctioning the deal, unless someone else is running the show in that respect. I’m not sure of their set up.

Just don’t really see the reasoning behind insulting him - get stuck into him if you don’t agree using proper arguments ffs.

We have but you forgot to add that 2 of them are shite, even in this league. We need to strengthen at centre half and that's a fact. ..how's the dyslexia @kildaremackem?
Which two?

They all have their faults, but Baldwin, Flanagan and Ozturk all seem decent enough at this level, and I'll wait and see where Willis is concerned. Loovens fair enough, awld man time, bad bad signing.

It is though - you’ve no idea of his circumstances. By all means pull someone to bits in an argument if you don’t agree but why go personal.

Just don’t really see the reasoning behind insulting him - get stuck into him if you don’t agree using proper arguments ffs.
Getting a grip Jack....Stewrat is his favourite word

The trouble with Loovens, Flanagan and Baldwin is they might all be fine as squad fillers but we need someone good enough to play alongside Willis as a first choice CB.
Ozturk looks ok but I don’t think he’s going to manage a full season
I’m not sure about Loovens even as a ‘squad filler’ - I think that we need to accept that he is now finished and that his (probably quite low) wage will have to be borne for the rest of the season for negligible returns. I don’t think that Flanagan, Baldwin or Ozturk are really good enough, but practicalities dictate that they are also retained for this season (or perhaps ‘part-exchanged’, if a deal of this sort can be arranged).

But the central point of your post is valid. We need an up-grade in the centre-back department.

It doesn’t matter if we already have five, if one of them is dead-wood and three of the others are not really good enough. That is sufficient justification to bring in a better option.

I’m not sure about Loovens even as a ‘squad filler’ - I think that we need to accept that he is now finished and that his (probably quite low) wage will have to be borne for the rest of the season for negligible returns. I don’t think that Flanagan, Baldwin or Ozturk are really good enough, but practicalities dictate that they are also retained for this season (or perhaps ‘part-exchanged’, if a deal of this sort can be arranged).

But the central point of your post is valid. We need an up-grade in the centre-back department.

It doesn’t matter if we already have five, if one of them is dead-wood and three of the others are not really good enough. That is sufficient justification to bring in a better option.
but the others are definitely good enough. the idea that there are three better CBs out there and willing t play in league one is ludicrous.

but the others are definitely good enough. the idea that there are three better CBs out there and willing t play in league one is ludicrous.
At this stage, we’re not looking for ‘three better’, just one.

Flanagan always looks as though he might blow away if a strong breeze gets up. Baldwin is ponderous in both thought and deed. Ozturk is a penalty waiting to happen.

So each of the existing options carries a risk, if selected. That risk might be acceptable in the unfortunate event of an injury to the first choice. To make any of those risks a part of the first choice plan is a dangerous strategy.

Back