Central heating installation advice

Doesn’t sound right
If a new system is installed correctly you shouldn’t have any issues
I’d start by sticking 2 bottles of Fernox F3 cleanser in & give it a good run then flush thoroughly
Add 2 bottles of Fernox F1 upon refill

Haven’t checked for air in 3 days. Got gas engineer coming back tomorrow morning to fix up gas hob so I’m going to ask him to take another look.
he’s lifted all floorboards and can’t see any leaks so he think it can only be on the boiler, either an expansion vessel etc but he’s absolutely baffled. It wasn’t him who fitted the system as it was done through eco3. But it was him who changed the pipe work around after the shambles the last lot left it in.
Going to ask him about a power flush tomorrow as maybe that’s cAusing the air and black water.
The towel warmer will be the first to get air in if there's a leak, it will be the highest point in the system I would imagine. Feel the very top of the rail. If its cold keep venting until its hot. Your system if new will need to get rid of all air, and depending on pipe runs, could have trapped air. Any radiators that regularly get air in, turn off all the other rads and blast all the heat into that rad. Do that in turn. It can take a while for a system to settle down depending on how it's piped up.
Checked them last Friday and masses of air in all radiators upstairs but the plumber doing the bathroom had been f***ing about with towel rail etc. it hadnt been vented for about 10 days prior.

checked again on Sunday and only a tiny amount of air in the towel rail, like a second of air and then water, but there shouldn’t be any air right?
I’ll give that a try what you’re suggesting.

Last edited:
Haven’t checked for air in 3 days. Got gas engineer coming back tomorrow morning to fix up gas hob so I’m going to ask him to take another look.
he’s lifted all floorboards and can’t see any leaks so he think it can only be on the boiler, either an expansion vessel etc but he’s absolutely baffled. It wasn’t him who fitted the system as it was done through eco3. But it was him who changed the pipe work around after the shambles the last lot left it in.
Going to ask him about a power flush tomorrow as maybe that’s cAusing the air and black water.

Checked them last Friday and masses of air in all radiators upstairs but the plumber doing the bathroom had been f***ing about with towel rail etc. it hadnt been vented for about 10 days prior.

checked again on Sunday and only a tiny amount of air in the towel rail, like a second of air and then water, but there shouldn’t be any air right?
I’ll give that a try what you’re suggesting.
The bathroom lads more than likely have dropped the pressure to change the pipework and then never properly vented off all the rads. A timy bit of air in the top of the towel rad is nowt nor summit mind.

The bathroom lads more than likely have dropped the pressure to change the pipework and then never properly vented off all the rads. A timy bit of air in the top of the towel rad is nowt nor summit mind.
Yeah he was putting the towel rail back as it had been tiled behind.

the pressure was right down on the boiler afterwards aswell.

I agree about the air in the rail a few days ago, just seems odd as it’s a closed system.

Sounds like the original installers didn’t flush the system removing flux residue after they finished and then they should have put inhibitors in to stop the inside of the rads corroding
Flux residue reacts with the rads and can create Hydrogen which may be what your venting.

Last edited:
Sounds like the original installers didn’t flush the system removing flux residue after they finished and then they should have put inhibitors in to stop the inside of the rads corroding
Flux residue reacts with the rads and can create Hydrogen which may be what your venting.
So a flush could solve the issue ?
I have been reading similar things online

Back