Central heating installation advice

Recently had a new central heating system put in my house I’m renovating. It previously had no gas so it’s a first time job.

For some reason there’s always air in the radiators upstairs, whether it be a small amount or absolutely brimming. The water coming out is sometimes jet black too if left for over a week without bleeding. There’s no leaks on any of the pipes so can’t work out what it would be. Any ideas?

There must be a leak somewhere for air to be in rads. System hasn't been flushed out properly if the water is black.

System is fitted with a magna clean so I thought that would sort it.
it was put in on the eco3 scheme by a company in Liverpool so a nightmare to get them back. Then we had some alterations done to move pipes etc as they left them all over the walls.

no idea what to do tbh.
would a power flush sort it?
There must be a leak somewhere for air to be in rads. System hasn't been flushed out properly if the water is black.
We had the pipes checked and no leaks, very strange.

Last edited:
System is fitted with a magna clean so I thought that would sort it.
it was put in on the eco3 scheme by a company in Liverpool so a nightmare to get them back. Then we had some alterations done to move pipes etc as they left them all over the walls.

no idea what to do tbh.
would a power flush sort it?

We had the pipes checked and no leaks, very strange.

Are you losing pressure?

How much black coloured water comes out when you bleed it. When was it fitted?
Fitted around 2/3months ago. It’s not all the time with the water. Just if you leave it 7-10 days it splurts for perhaps 3-4 seconds jet black then fine.
When the towel rail was taken off to tile the bathroom it was full of black water also.

Fitted around 2/3months ago. It’s not all the time with the water. Just if you leave it 7-10 days it splurts for perhaps 3-4 seconds jet black then fine.
When the towel rail was taken off to tile the bathroom it was full of black water also.
It's probably just some sediment from around the valve.

The towel warmer will be the first to get air in if there's a leak, it will be the highest point in the system I would imagine. Feel the very top of the rail. If its cold keep venting until its hot. Your system if new will need to get rid of all air, and depending on pipe runs, could have trapped air. Any radiators that regularly get air in, turn off all the other rads and blast all the heat into that rad. Do that in turn. It can take a while for a system to settle down depending on how it's piped up.

Back