Celebrities who dont speak their local accent.

I moved to Canada in 2017 and it’s not so much the accent (everyone thinks I’m from South Africa or Australia). It’s the phrasing that confuses people. They have no concept of time here so saying I will book you in for half past 2 or I will see you in a fortnight is like a different language. Don’t get me started on the way they do dates here it’s all over the place and goes from d/m/yr to m/d/yr and yr/m/d depending on what form you fill in

Lyndon Gooch has a pretty messed up accent.
That hardly rates as surprising given that he's an American with an Irish parent and an Essex parent and he's lived his adult life in the North East.

I moved to Canada in 2017 and it’s not so much the accent (everyone thinks I’m from South Africa or Australia). It’s the phrasing that confuses people. They have no concept of time here so saying I will book you in for half past 2 or I will see you in a fortnight is like a different language. Don’t get me started on the way they do dates here it’s all over the place and goes from d/m/yr to m/d/yr and yr/m/d depending on what form you fill in

That's a simple issue: both of the phrases you cite are extremely archaic in North American dialect. It took me a few weeks of living in the UK before I adjusted to things like that, but it's not a big deal. The final sentence is a peculiarly Canadian issue. The backwards dates are ours from south of the border (sorry, they listen to us up there even though they know they shouldn't).

Last edited:
I was brought up in Sunderland since I was three weeks old in a household and around people who have a Sunderland accent yet I never had one and still don’t 55 years later although I did move away from the area when I was 17 for work.
People, even those in my own family said I “talked posh” as a kid. My accent is not one that I chose or cultivated. It just happened. I don’t use the hidden r in bath or pass or similar words and some of my language mannerisms are definitely north east, but if we had a conversation you wouldn’t easily pick me as someone from the Sunderland or north east in general. Explain that one Crob?

Mine has mellowed a bit but it’s some of the phrases as opposed to the pronunciations of specific words.
ive lived elsewhere for over 30 yrs but it’s still obvious where I’m from
Didn’t she have elocution lessons to rid herself of that accent? When she was seeing Kate Middletons brother.
Were them his plums?

Last edited:
I've only been in London 6/7 years and my accent has changed quite a bit. Fellow northerners will recognise it but anyone from anywhere south of Leeds thinks I'm Irish, for some reason

Been away for years,time, location, your family and friends, all knock the edge off your accent. I have been asked am I a new zealander or Irish, I was asked in sunderland where was I from, I answered sunderland, the guy answered "But ya dinnat sound like us".

Didn’t she have elocution lessons to rid herself of that accent? When she was seeing Kate Middletons brother.
Imagine being that desperate to hide your accent. Can't stand the woman.
Another "scenty bottle" accent was that Joanne Curry, the ice skater. Went to Florida for a couple of weeks training and came back sounding like she was born and raised there.

Back