Celebrities who dont speak their local accent.

So are you suggesting it's the other way round that you make a concerted effort to keep the accent?

It is weird how some lose it after only a few years & yet others don't after decades of moving away.

Some people's accents get stronger if they are around people who share an accent as they instinctively want to stand out and keep their voice as opposed to take on elements of the group.
It's not necessarily a conscious decision.

However if someone was to point out something they say in their accent which the rest of the group say differently I would imagine they would then make a conscious decision to reinforce the way they say it or tone is down slightly.

Some people's accents get stronger if they are around people who share an accent as they instinctively want to stand out and keep their voice as opposed to take on elements of the group.
It's not necessarily a conscious decision.

However if someone was to point out something they say in their accent which the rest of the group say differently I would imagine they would then make a conscious decision to reinforce the way they say it or tone is down slightly.

Aye ,There was a Scottish lad at school & when we'd go round his house he'd speak to his parents with a thick glaswegian accent, but with us it was toned down.

Brian Johnson has done some great programmes interviewing fellow musicians

he chatted with Mark Knopfler in tynemouth and whitley Bay
Paul Rodgers
and sting ( in New york) where they went to a pub and had a couple of pints

and the one thing common amongst all three of them was they slipped more and more into their own accents as the interviewing went along...and Brian johnson has still got an accent and still speaks like hes talking to his neighbours in gateshead..lord knows what Dave grohl makes of being called bonny lad

Brian Johnson has done some great programmes interviewing fellow musicians

he chatted with Mark Knopfler in tynemouth and whitley Bay
Paul Rodgers
and sting ( in New york) where they went to a pub and had a couple of pints

and the one thing common amongst all three of them was they slipped more and more into their own accents as the interviewing went along...and Brian johnson has still got an accent and still speaks like hes talking to his neighbours in gateshead..lord knows what Dave grohl makes of being called bonny lad

I saw that & im sure he called Dolly Parton 'bonny lass' anarl :lol:

Aye I see what you're saying....REJECTING YOUR ROOTS AND PRETENDING TO BE SOMETHING YOU'RE NOT.

More about embracing the rest of the world rather than rejecting your roots. Why wouldn't you want to speak in a way that more people can understand you? Are foreigners who learn English "rejecting their roots" too?

More about embracing the rest of the world rather than rejecting your roots. Why wouldn't you want to speak in a way that more people can understand you? Are foreigners who learn English "rejecting their roots" too?

I was kidding. People who go on like that are losers. See my other posts on the thread.

He's probably flattered!

I've never understood why some people can move to a different part of the UK and never lose their original accent and then others lose it within a relatively short period of time.

I've never understood why some people can move to a different part of the UK and never lose their original accent and then others lose it within a relatively short period of time.
I have a sister, lives in Peterlee, very strong eeee why aye hinny/pet accent, when she was 20 she moved to Hampshire to work for a year, within 6 months had a faux home counties accent, we thought where the f**k did that come from?

Happens internationally too. I once worked with a German woman who spoke English with a strong Irish accent as she had lived in Dublin for a year. Most people didn't have a clue she was German and not Irish.

Some people have a good ear for languages/dialects and can pick them up very quickly.

Happens internationally too. I once worked with a German woman who spoke English with a strong Irish accent as she had lived in Dublin for a year. Most people didn't have a clue she was German and not Irish.

Some people have a good ear for languages/dialects and can pick them up very quickly.

Steve McClaren was out in Holland for about a week & was speaking like a dutchman

Back