CC :: Sussex v Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.
The return of proper cricket!! :D

Feels like summer now in fairness, 7 (seven) County Championship games in a row so a chance to properly get our teeth into the 4-day campaign, both from a supporters perspective and a player's I would say.

Mind, it looks to be quite a gruelling schedule - 46 days with the potential of 28 days of cricket in that time. Doesn't leave much chance of practice, a lot of travel to consider too.

So clearly FTECB are f***ing clueless when it comes to easing the workload on the players. The truth of it though, in my opinion, is that they couldn't give a toss about the players - they just say that in order to seem to care - but reality is the season is simply structured to better suit their own money making aspirations.

Anyway, that aside, Sussex on Sunday, with Glamorgan at Swansea starting on Friday, potentially only 41 hours between one game finishing and the other starting - an extended away trip for the players? Seems no point in coming home inbetween games.

Selection wise, we've not got much indication of what to expect going off red ball form, besides its been that long since we played it: would form even count still? Few players have elevated their stock in the 50 over stuff, so we may see that play a part in the thinking.

Has Harding got a chance?
Is Burnham anywhere near fitness?
Is Wood available?

Picking now;

Cook
Jennings
Steel
Clark
Collingwood
Richardson
Poynter
Carse
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

12th Pringle
13th Coughlin

Snip........
Picking now;

Cook
Jennings
Steel
Clark
Collingwood
Richardson
Poynter
Carse
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

12th Pringle
13th Coughlin

Agree with what you say and one of Steel or Clark need to become an opener and the other a number 3 when Jennings departs for England duty . But ....

is Carse fit? Why didn't he feature in the 50 overs ....
Richardson isn't fit, unless he's recovered very quickly from the pull or whatever it was. If fit I reckon they could put him in above Colly in the order, haven't they said they're trying to develop him batting with more responsibility?

I would consider swapping Harding with Pringle as he did very well in the 50's I thought. It could be he's a better bowler and if he carries on we may have a good'un there. I doubt he's a better batsman but there again Pringle hasn't been getting the scores recently.

I've no idea of the fitness of players, suppose we won't know until the squad is announced because as we know, Durham are watertight when it comes to sharing information with the supporters :lol:.

On Harding, he's clearly become the one day choice, but then it may be that his red ball bowling isn't as useful as his white ball bowling. Obviously restricting runs and taking wickets are two different things - plus Pringle still has his batting and fielding going for him, whereas it appears Harding is a proper tailender.

I'd open with Steel when Jennings goes with England. Not be til the T20's start that though, so if we're lucky he might not miss much of the Championship.

If Richardson is fit, I still think he's better 6/7, he scored runs there at Gloucester and I'd rather give him another couple of games down there to see if he can find form before shuffling him about again.

From the Chron

DURHAM (probable): Jennings, Cook, Clark, Harte, Collingwood (c), C Steel, P Coughlin, Poynter (wk), Weighell, Onions, Rushworth

From the Chron

DURHAM (probable): Jennings, Cook, Clark, Harte, Collingwood (c), C Steel, P Coughlin, Poynter (wk), Weighell, Onions, Rushworth

Crikey.

Squad vs Sussex (21-24 May): Paul Collingwood (c), Keaton Jennings, Stephen Cook, Cameron Steel, Graham Clark, Paul Coughlin, Ryan Pringle, Stuart Poynter (wk), James Weighell, Chris Rushworth, Graham Onions, George Harding, Gavin Main

Last edited:
Legsopen is commentating tomorrow :rolleyes:

I think the team will likely be the first eleven players in that list. Can't see what Main adds, he's not done much in the 2's to impress the selections - perhaps it's simply a case of being the only fit backup seamer?

Weather set to be glorious for most of the game. Though sometimes get a bit of early morning life at Hove depending on the tide. With Colly's record of inserting the opposition away from home, I've a strong suspicion this one could be the same - especially with us having such a fragile batting lineup.

Last edited:
Legsopen is commentating tomorrow :rolleyes:

I think the team will likely be the first eleven players in that list. Can't see what Main adds, he's not done much in the 2's to impress the selections - perhaps it's simply a case of being the only fit backup seamer?

Weather set to be glorious for most of the game. Though sometimes get a bit of early morning life at Hove depending on the tide. With Colly's record of inserting the opposition away from home, I've a strong suspicion this one could be the same - especially with us having such a fragile batting lineup.
Yep ...

from cricinfo
SC Cook, KK Jennings, CT Steel, G Clark, PD Collingwood*, P Coughlin, SW Poynter†, RD Pringle, G Onions, C Rushworth, WJ Weighell

Has Richardson been dropped or is he injured too?

Groin injury apparently.

Strange start, got to 50-1 off about 12, scored 12-0 in 10 overs since!

Interesting to see that Sussex wanted to bowl. Perhaps something in it, or perhaps just that this pitch will get flatter as the game progresses.

Steel gone. 72-2.

Last edited:
90-4, Coughlin in at 6. Be lucky to make 200 here.

Quiet on here today - 204-5, much better session for us. Pringle and Coughlin leading the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back