CC :: Gloucestershire v Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awful news regarding Burnham.

Young enough to bounce back from this but does his short term development no good.

Already thin on the batting side but gives an option to one of the other lads and should it be Clark he needs to take his chance (as he's had enough)

So what are people's thoughts? The batting is light as it is without losing one of our brighter sparks.

I still feel Richardson is too high up at 4, maybe the've given him an ultimatum though? Stand up and be counted.

Steel at 3 is a viable option, bit of extra grit at the top of the order with the whole 3 openers option. Is Clark an opener? I know he's batted there before but more out of necessity than design I believe. He likely prefers to bat 4/5 but then he's been scoring runs at 3 for the 2's.

It seems to me, provided no further injuries crop up, that the side will be unchanged other than Burnham and it'll be a battle between Steel and Clark for that spot.

Jennings
Cook
Steel/Clark
Richardson
Collingwood
Coughlin
Pringle
Poynter
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

Lot of fragility there for me, get the impression Coughlin is being put at 6 in the hope he grows into the role rather than being suited to it right now.

Even the most optimistic of members must concede that we've only got about 4 batsmen in there that you could truly rely on to score runs.

The pessimist will argue our tail starts at 6.

Last edited:
So what are people's thoughts? The batting is light as it is without losing one of our brighter sparks.

I still feel Richardson is too high up at 4, maybe the've given him an ultimatum though? Stand up and be counted.

Steel at 3 is a viable option, bit of extra grit at the top of the order with the whole 3 openers option. Is Clark an opener? I know he's batted there before but more out of necessity than design I believe. He likely prefers to bat 4/5 but then he's been scoring runs at 3 for the 2's.

It seems to me, provided no further injuries crop up, that the side will be unchanged other than Burnham and it'll be a battle between Steel and Clark for that spot.

Jennings
Cook
Steel/Clark
Richardson
Collingwood
Coughlin
Pringle
Poynter
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

Lot of fragility there for me, get the impression Coughlin is being put at 6 in the hope he grows into the role rather than being suited to it right now.

Even the most optimistic of members must concede that we've only got about 4 batsmen in there that you could truly rely on to score runs.

Aye, 6 is right.

But Coughlin has potential but I'm disappointed that Pringle hasn't made the strides I hoped he would have done.

I reckon it will be Clark at 3 to reward his recent scores for the 2nds.

Hopefully Cook has acclimatised a bit.

Aye, 6 is right.

But Coughlin has potential but I'm disappointed that Pringle hasn't made the strides I hoped he would have done.

I reckon it will be Clark at 3 to reward his recent scores for the 2nds.

Hopefully Cook has acclimatised a bit.

He no doubt has potential but I don't think it's being unfair to say he isn't ready to bat 6 now. Feel like it's another case of necessity over design.

Reactions: Bri

Jennings
Cook
Steel/Clark
Richardson
Collingwood
Coughlin
Pringle
Poynter
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

I'd bring in Clark and Steel, with Pringle making way. This could be risky, playing without a spin option, but in late April you'd expect the seamers to do the majority of the bowling. Any idea how the pitch at Bristol plays? Does it take spin so early in the season?

I'd bring in Clark and Steel, with Pringle making way. This could be risky, playing without a spin option, but in late April you'd expect the seamers to do the majority of the bowling. Any idea how the pitch at Bristol plays? Does it take spin so early in the season?

Not a clue what it'll play like. For some reason I expect it to be the sort of pitch that is likely to go four days - or atleast I don't expect it to be too helpful to our seamers - so for that reason you need a spinner.

I'd always play a spinner anyway though, regardless of what time of year it is - just think you should always have that option for balance.

I see what you're getting at though, I'd like to play both Steel and Clark to bolster the batting, but we've got to have four seamers and as mentioned I like having a spin option.

Should be able to listen most of the day tomorrow though, so looking forward to it.

Not a clue what it'll play like. For some reason I expect it to be the sort of pitch that is likely to go four days - or atleast I don't expect it to be too helpful to our seamers - so for that reason you need a spinner.

I'd always play a spinner anyway though, regardless of what time of year it is - just think you should always have that option for balance.

I see what you're getting at though, I'd like to play both Steel and Clark to bolster the batting, but we've got to have four seamers and as mentioned I like having a spin option.

Should be able to listen most of the day tomorrow though, so looking forward to it.
It would definitely be risky going without a spinner, but our batting looks really weak this year. No way should Richardson be at 4, for example. Pringle is due a good knock, if he plays. Ah well, we'll see what pans out tomorrow.

Looks like there will be a fair bit of cloud around tomorrow, from the forecast. Saturday looks like it will be okay, and Sunday will be cool but sunny.

I'm satisfied with the lineup. Rather the home/young talent were given a chance. Good to see the likes of Clark, Coughlin/Steel/Burnham (yes I know he's injured), all involved.

Jennings
Cook
Steel
Richardson
Collingwood
Clark
Coughlin
Poynter
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

Pretty sure Steel can bowl abit spin?

Jennings
Cook
Steel
Richardson
Collingwood
Clark
Coughlin
Poynter
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

Pretty sure Steel can bowl abit spin?
I think it's leg-spin but he talked about gaining a bit of confidence to use it during the last year . . so not to be depended on for the moment at least I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back