CC :: Gloucestershire v Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
Short term memory with regards the game that finished today, it's gone, now we move on to Bristol in the hope of kickstarting our season. Friday start.

Long term memory switched back on - it's been 14 years since our last visit to Bristol in red ball cricket. They beat us heavily in that game on their way to promotion - only for us to replace them in Division One two seasons later and as a result we've barely played them at all in any format in the years since. Martin Love was dismissed twice in the 90's in the 2003 defeat, whilst Shoaib Akhtar led our pace attack.

The Second XI play Scotland in a three day friendly starting Wednesday, so look to that game for a clue as to who will make the trip to Bristol.

For me, we have to get Steel involved - the kid deserves a chance, his pre-season form dictates that. Who for may be more difficult, it's harsh to drop anyone after just one game but for me it would be Richardson missing out. It's been covered heavily, but he's 30 now and he's been mediocre for three seasons. Granted I don't think he's a number 4, I wouldn't have him higher than 6 and perhaps if he'd batted there all the time we may well have seen a much better run of form from him.

The four seamers can remain the same, pending fitness, but I wouldn't be surprised if they rotated Coughlin for Carse/Weighell. I'm not sure Coughlin is the man to bat 6 either, which again wouldn't be where he bats if I'm picking the team.

Much debate will rage too I expect over Pringle, but he has the fortune of being our only experienced spin option and I've always been of the opinion that every side needs to have that option - no matter how little other people rate him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Clark brought into the squad, but I reiterate the point that Steel should get picked ahead of him. Clark for me still has a lot to prove.

I'd go with:

Cook
Jennings
Steel
Burnham
Collingwood
Pringle
Poynter
Coughlin
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

Richardson and Carse as cover.

Short term memory with regards the game that finished today, it's gone, now we move on to Bristol in the hope of kickstarting our season. Friday start.

Long term memory switched back on - it's been 14 years since our last visit to Bristol in red ball cricket. They beat us heavily in that game on their way to promotion - only for us to replace them in Division One two seasons later and as a result we've barely played them at all in any format in the years since. Martin Love was dismissed twice in the 90's in the 2003 defeat, whilst Shoaib Akhtar led our pace attack.

The Second XI play Scotland in a three day friendly starting Wednesday, so look to that game for a clue as to who will make the trip to Bristol.

For me, we have to get Steel involved - the kid deserves a chance, his pre-season form dictates that. Who for may be more difficult, it's harsh to drop anyone after just one game but for me it would be Richardson missing out. It's been covered heavily, but he's 30 now and he's been mediocre for three seasons. Granted I don't think he's a number 4, I wouldn't have him higher than 6 and perhaps if he'd batted there all the time we may well have seen a much better run of form from him.

The four seamers can remain the same, pending fitness, but I wouldn't be surprised if they rotated Coughlin for Carse/Weighell. I'm not sure Coughlin is the man to bat 6 either, which again wouldn't be where he bats if I'm picking the team.

Much debate will rage too I expect over Pringle, but he has the fortune of being our only experienced spin option and I've always been of the opinion that every side needs to have that option - no matter how little other people rate him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Clark brought into the squad, but I reiterate the point that Steel should get picked ahead of him. Clark for me still has a lot to prove.

I'd go with:

Cook
Jennings
Steel
Burnham
Collingwood
Pringle
Poynter
Coughlin
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

Richardson and Carse as cover.

agree with that mostly although i think i would pick carse over coughlin and push woody up by one

where is the scotland friendly being played?

It will be interesting to see if the batting gets changed around a bit; I wouldn't be surprised to see Clark and Steel in the squad. Weather forecast looks canny in Bristol for the next few days.

We just look a batsman short, Clark/Richardson for me aren't good enough and I can't judge Steel yet.

Also Shoaib Ahktar, what a blast from the past.

We just look a batsman short, Clark/Richardson for me aren't good enough and I can't judge Steel yet.

Also Shoaib Ahktar, what a blast from the past.
Not good enough against 1st div attacks which was what we were in reality up against v Notts. Pretty certain both can flourish against 2nd div attacks.

A few players have Feb added to the Second XI team on the online scorecard, which leads me to think they're replacements for the players leaving that game to travel to Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back