Caught speeding #189245

Rule 163 from the highway code:

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
  • take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
  • give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
  • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).
I followed what was in bold

But you didn't follow rule 124
  • You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the speed limits table). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.

Rule 163 from the highway code:

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
  • take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
  • give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
  • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).
I followed what was in bold

you missed the first line of that rule :):

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so.

You were never going to be able to stick to the speed limit whilst overtaking tbf.

Exactly. Also, the road markings meant it was legal for me to over take. The only fact that makes this negative is the fact that I went slightly over the limit If put forward to the magistrates, surely they would agree that in that position, they would overtake the tractor, and to penalise someone for exceeding by 1mph whilst overtaking would be daft.

you missed the first line of that rule :):

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so.

second line :) Also it was, safe & legal to do so. as above.

Exactly. Also, the road markings meant it was legal for me to over take. The only fact that makes this negative is the fact that I went slightly over the limit If put forward to the magistrates, surely they would agree that in that position, they would overtake the tractor, and to penalise someone for exceeding by 1mph whilst overtaking would be daft.

second line :) Also it was, safe & legal to do so. as above.

You were speeding by 5mph, so in no way was it legal.

Just got a letter through the post saying I was caught doing 35 on a 30 road in Crook. I was expecting this letter as the incident in question, I was behind a tractor who was doing 20, I overtook him and just as I got level I seen the police speed van parked up on the side of the road.

I was also caught doing 35 in a 30 2 years ago so did the speed awareness course, I assume I won't be offered it again this time? Is there any way I can appeal obviously stating the fact I was only overtaking a tractor?

If I end up with 3 points, how much is this likely to impact my insurance? I am already paying £1200

Fed up.

Don’t speed then.

you were speeding to overtake while going past a police car with speed camera? phucking lol :lol:

Of course if it was sunny Spain you wouldn't have broken the law, you are allowed to exceed the speed limit by 20KM/H, in order to overtake a vehicle, makes a lot of sense to me, the less time you spend on the wrong side of the road, the better it is for you and other road users

Back