Cattermole gone

It does mind, most clubs nearly all have a Cattermole type of player who sits in front of the back four doing a alright honest job.

However most clubs have better and more exciting players to talk about.
He’s not got a following because of ability, like nosworthy he’s more a cult hero. He’s got it because of his attitude on the pitch and aggression. Typical north east player.

He’s not a great player in our history like the ones you compared him to at Newcastle. You’d be better comparing him to someone like Ryan Taylor who they still sing about.

He was by far our best midfielder

And yet never stood out to the degree you'd expect from a player that was playing PL football 2 seasons previous.

Also, I did say 'some games'. In other games he just looked like a competent L1 player which should be his minimum level in his worst performances. It appears his injuries have left a mark on certain physical attributes and it showed in games last season.

I literally can't believe that Lee £40k a week Cattermole leaving League 1 SAFC at the beginning of July can be viewed as anything other than a positive step by the club.
People talk about Charlie being a good spin doctor. We've got a boat full on here IMO.

Our more recent record is one of shrewd signings.....McLaughlin (keeper), McGeouch, McGuire all excellent free signings, O9 tremendous signing given the size of the fee........Like all clubs there will be those that dont work out but not sure we have done too badly......Ironically the ones that seem to struggle so far are those who have cost big £££. I am hoping that we see a huge return on Grigg and Wyke this season and for me that is all about investing some of those wages we have freed up and getting a play maker in.
At 380k I'm not sure whether we'd make much of a profit if we sold him.

He, for a player at 31, will have had one eye on where his next contract is going to come from (Sheff Wed by the looks) and how long it is going to be for, 3 years I'd take a guess on........Pleased he has moved on but that should of happened before his agent managed to negotiate the last deal he signed when imo the club fucked up.
He should have had a two year extension at most. Five years was utterly incomprehensible.

A ridiculous wage off the books at this level.
A decent enough pro and a great appearance record but time to move on for both player and club.
He missed about as many matches as he played. 260 over 10 years isn't that great tbh.

Last edited:
I grew up while the mags were talking about their players, players such as Shearer, Gascoingne,Beardsley and Ginola as their best players and favourite players, yet our fans talk about Lee Cattermole! It’s not even a comparison.

I personally think it’s sad as fuck a club of our statue and fan base have a player with as limited talent as him as their favourite all time player,

While other clubs of similar sizes actually talk about talented players

He played well in League 1 though.

He’s not got a following because of ability, like nosworthy he’s more a cult hero. He’s got it because of his attitude on the pitch and aggression. Typical north east player.

He’s not a great player in our history like the ones you compared him to at Newcastle. You’d be better comparing him to someone like Ryan Taylor who they still sing about.

Agree with that some follow him because of the reasons you stated, however some based of threads on here think he is one of the best players we have had over the last 20 years which is way wide of the mark imo

I literally can't believe that Lee £40k a week Cattermole leaving League 1 SAFC at the beginning of July can be viewed as anything other than a positive step by the club.
People talk about Charlie being a good spin doctor. We've got a boat full on here IMO.
Its positive if that money is reinvested to improve the overall squad.

Agree. Hopefully he has learned from last season and improved (we know how hard he works) enough to make it in midfield.

We have had lads with similar talent who have become very popular for us. I think he has a lot of developing still to do, and is going to be a very good midfielder.

He should also be among the goals, all assuming he stays of course.

Back