Cats crapping in my front garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is, and is very. Fucks the liver and they die over few hours.
And aye, the police and RSPCA will press charges if your caught
My cat was poisoned this way (with anti freeze) and it was in agony till the vet put it to sleep. I hope the person who poisoned it suffers the same agony only for a bit longer.

Not have them as pets in the first instance, the selfish twats.

No cats and pets = no shiteing all over other peoples property.
clearly a commensurate solution - ffs

I have two cats and never notice the shit buried in the garden!

So what do you expect cat owners to do???
Stop "owning" cats. (The cats are in charge of the relationship anyway, just the owners are too stupid to realise).

clearly a commensurate solution - ffs

I have two cats and never notice the shit buried in the garden!
Well you wouldn't would you? That's the whole point. They shut on other people's garden. It would seem you are oblivious

So what do you expect cat owners to do???

Same as people who want a big dog but live in a small flat, people who want a horse but live in an urban setting, people who want big fuck off tarantulas but think its cruel to keep them indoors where they cant exercise. Assess your environment and whether it is appropriate for the animal and your neighbours to bring that animal into that environment. Dont say "hey i want this pet and fuck everyone else". Or if you do accept your are acting very selfishly and dont derail a thread that was about how the victims of that decision can best minimise its impact on their lives.

As a group of people, there's no higher percentage of mentalists than cat owners. Maybe Michael Jackson fans, but it's certainly close.

Cats are a pest, and the owners are ignorant. Sick to death of the cat crap in the garden. Have to check the garden before letting the bairn play out, after she stepped in cat turd 3 times in the space of a fortnight.

They are absolutely pointless as pets. They make your house stink, they annoy the neighbours, they leave hair everywhere.
Cats are for sad weirdos. Absolute waste of time, and the biggest nuisance around.
And cat owners, don't try and defend your crap pets by saying oh but dogs are worse. Just accept responsibility for your actions of allowing your scabby cats to violate people's property.

As a group of people, there's no higher percentage of mentalists than cat owners. Maybe Michael Jackson fans, but it's certainly close.

Cats are a pest, and the owners are ignorant. Sick to death of the cat crap in the garden. Have to check the garden before letting the bairn play out, after she stepped in cat turd 3 times in the space of a fortnight.

They are absolutely pointless as pets. They make your house stink, they annoy the neighbours, they leave hair everywhere.
Cats are for sad weirdos. Absolute waste of time, and the biggest nuisance around.
And cat owners, don't try and defend your crap pets by saying oh but dogs are worse. Just accept responsibility for your actions of allowing your scabby cats to violate people's property.
I really wasn't going to post on yet another 'we hate cats' thread but your post was just too tempting (f***ing irritating - which was probably your intention).

You hate cat owners and I don't trust people who don't like cats. So there we go.

I really wasn't going to post on yet another 'we hate cats' thread but your post was just too tempting (f***ing irritating - which was probably your intention).

You hate cat owners and I don't trust people who don't like cats. So there we go.

..........cat owner logic. Absolute crackerjacks

Same as people who want a big dog but live in a small flat, people who want a horse but live in an urban setting, people who want big fuck off tarantulas but think its cruel to keep them indoors where they cant exercise. Assess your environment and whether it is appropriate for the animal and your neighbours to bring that animal into that environment. Dont say "hey i want this pet and fuck everyone else". Or if you do accept your are acting very selfishly and dont derail a thread that was about how the victims of that decision can best minimise its impact on their lives.

Exactly. I'd absolutely love to own a dog but it's unfair to leave it indoors all day while I'm at work no matter how much exercise it would get at weekends. If I ever realise my dream of living on a farm then I'd get a dog, maybe two, straight away.

You cannot train a cat not to roam in other people's garden.
Okay. Point accepted.

You therefore have to accept that people who do not want your cat 'roaming' in their garden are well within their rights to take whatever steps they deem necessary to stop it.

You may not like the methods they choose but you have created the situation and forced their hand by keeping a pet that cannot be controlled.

Okay. Point accepted.

You therefore have to accept that people who do not want your cat 'roaming' in their garden are well within their rights to take whatever steps they deem necessary to stop it.

You may not like the methods they choose but you have created the situation and forced their hand by keeping a pet that cannot be controlled.

Hang on a minute. One the one hand, they are saying cats are not wild animals and on the other, they state they can't be trained and need to roam freely? However, it's the rest of us whom are at fault for not wanting their wild/ domesticated animal shitting where my kids play. How very selfish of me.

that's cruel and utterly ridiculous. If you'd ever had a cat you know that going out it a massive part of their lives.

How would they get exercise?

See my edit to my previous post. I should have posted again in quick succession. Plenty of people have indoor only cats and one of my neighbours has 3.

Basically if an owner can be arsed enough to take a cat out then it is possible. I do think it is a case that cat owners are 30+ years behind dog owners. It used to be common when I was young for people to open their door and let their dog go out for a bit, knowing it would wander home in after it had done its stuff. There was one path near mine where it curved and had overhanging trees so you never got much light or wind through that bit. A friend used to call that bit 'dog shit lane' because there was always a load of dogs mess there and the smell used to really build up. I remember walking to school and just holding my breath while going down that bit. Attitudes changed, and along with the legislation, dog owners got more socially responsible. Now it is thankfully much less common for people to not pick up and some people will when challenged. When I had a dog, if I saw someone not picking up I would hand them a poo bag, smile and say "Oh did you forget yours, don't worry I have some spare", which always made them grudgingly pick up. Sadly not everyone does yet but at least it is almost unheard of for people to just shove their dog outside, let it do what it likes and wait for it to come back - there has been a lot of much needed progress.

That is still what cat owners are doing. "Oh it is only natural", well yes, that is correct but they would soon get annoyed if other animals shit all over their gardens and paths. However it is not natural to keep any animal in captivity. If you are going to do that, then you need to take responsibility for it. Wether that is cleaning out a fish tank, walking your dog in the pissing rain picking up poo in a plastic bag or exercising and cleaning up after your cat. It is possible, as I posted, to walk a cat on a lead and pick up after it too, but half the cat owners I know say they want a cat rather than a dog because they want a 'low effort' pet. It is time to wake up and realise that by deciding to look after a pet, you have to look after that pet. There is not a low effort pet, domesticated animals need to be cared for. You would also see far fewer posters pinned to lampposts looking for "Tiddles the much loved pet, who was shoved out the door last Monday and didn't come home", when actually Tiddles has already been scraped off the front of the local DHL delivery van.

Stop "owning" cats. (The cats are in charge of the relationship anyway, just the owners are too stupid to realise).

Well you wouldn't would you? That's the whole point. They shut on other people's garden. It would seem you are oblivious
Bollocks - they shit in my garden and bury it.

I got a shitty finger on Saturday morning and would be over the moon if none of my neighbours had cats as pets.
how about this for a solution then - stop putting your finger into the soil.

So given a cat can wander for up to a mile, your suggestion means that no can can own a cat unless they live in an house with a square mile of garden. Cats shitting under the soil in your garden shouldn't cause you any issues unless you are playing in the soil. The soil, which is pretty much already teaming with bacteria.

It's no different to any other animal (bird, mouse, fox) shitting in your garden. If you have a garden, expect wildlife to inhabit it.

Quite why anybody thinks it's fine to let THEIR cat go to the toilet all over MY garden is beyond me.

An interesting read about how to deal with the problem:

http://catsaway.org/cat-law/

Following from that link is:
http://catsaway.org/cat-deterrents/pestbye-cat-repeller/

That is what I use and they are pretty good if you use rechargeable batteries. At the moment, my general tactic is to cover the veg beds with fleece when dug over or have put seeds in. This time of year it is a good idea for those early planting crops like parsnips and cabbages anyway. When the plants get a couple of inches tall, I remove the fleece and either put a net over or put one of these devices covering that bed. When a net, I use those rubber joining balls to put a goal post shape with canes down the middle of the bed, so the net looks like a ridge tent. This keeps birds off, which will also nibble a few seedlings. Just putting the net flat over the top, I was finding cats were sitting on them and digging through the net and shitting on top of the net.

As the plants grow, if they are something like taties then they fill the area and cats don't tend to crawl under and is not a problem. A lot of other bigger plants then I put grass mulch between rows. Again, like the fleece, this is actually good for the plants as it keeps the soil cooler, keeps weeds down and rots nutrients into the soil. It also gets rid of my grass clippings.

I have a border round the veg patch which is only around 1ft wide, making it harder to use nets or fleece. If I have put young plants in there, in the past I have put a few plastic forks in the ground with prongs up. They are really cheap to buy and when the cat squats down it gets a spike up its arse and sods off somewhere else. The sonic repellers seem to do the job, so I just stick with them.

So, it is possible to be a hygienic veg gardener and live with the annoyance of cats fairly cheaply and without too much effort. As I have said, most of the things that keeps cats away has other benefits to the plants and I would probably be doing anyway. It is still annoying that I have to deal with the irresponsibility of others causing a social nuisance in my private space and legislation should be brought into place. Until it does I guess we all have to suffer, while the cat owners always answer back "but I saw a dog turd on the path". Blame dogs for cat problems, best defence. Also, my tactics will not work if a cat is using your lawn. You can't cover or spike that.

See my edit to my previous post. I should have posted again in quick succession. Plenty of people have indoor only cats and one of my neighbours has 3.

Basically if an owner can be arsed enough to take a cat out then it is possible. I do think it is a case that cat owners are 30+ years behind dog owners. It used to be common when I was young for people to open their door and let their dog go out for a bit, knowing it would wander home in after it had done its stuff. There was one path near mine where it curved and had overhanging trees so you never got much light or wind through that bit. A friend used to call that bit 'dog shit lane' because there was always a load of dogs mess there and the smell used to really build up. I remember walking to school and just holding my breath while going down that bit. Attitudes changed, and along with the legislation, dog owners got more socially responsible. Now it is thankfully much less common for people to not pick up and some people will when challenged. When I had a dog, if I saw someone not picking up I would hand them a poo bag, smile and say "Oh did you forget yours, don't worry I have some spare", which always made them grudgingly pick up. Sadly not everyone does yet but at least it is almost unheard of for people to just shove their dog outside, let it do what it likes and wait for it to come back - there has been a lot of much needed progress.

That is still what cat owners are doing. "Oh it is only natural", well yes, that is correct but they would soon get annoyed if other animals shit all over their gardens and paths. However it is not natural to keep any animal in captivity. If you are going to do that, then you need to take responsibility for it. Wether that is cleaning out a fish tank, walking your dog in the pissing rain picking up poo in a plastic bag or exercising and cleaning up after your cat. It is possible, as I posted, to walk a cat on a lead and pick up after it too, but half the cat owners I know say they want a cat rather than a dog because they want a 'low effort' pet. It is time to wake up and realise that by deciding to look after a pet, you have to look after that pet. There is not a low effort pet, domesticated animals need to be cared for. You would also see far fewer posters pinned to lampposts looking for "Tiddles the much loved pet, who was shoved out the door last Monday and didn't come home", when actually Tiddles has already been scraped off the front of the local DHL delivery van.
Have you ever tried walking a cat, whilst one or two may do that, the vast majority would not. Cats wander, it's part of their nature.

Quite why anybody thinks it's fine to let THEIR cat go to the toilet all over MY garden is beyond me.

An interesting read about how to deal with the problem:

http://catsaway.org/cat-law/
Pretty sad man getting territorial over the garden with a cat.

A bit of light lunch time reading.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5999091/Pet-cat-eaten-by-13ft-python.html

I remember a Jeremy Vine call in about this one a few years ago. A few cat owners called in saying "But the cat was only doing what was natural, straying into the garden". It was quickly followed by a lot of people saying "and so was the python, which was being held captive within the owners land boundaries". The calls that follows suggested that either we are not a nation of cat lovers or the BBC heavily filtered calls.

The other excuse was "It is not natural to keep a python", followed by "No more unnatural to keep a cat".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back