Cats crapping in my front garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Point accepted.

You therefore have to accept that people who do not want your cat 'roaming' in their garden are well within their rights to take whatever steps they deem necessary to stop it.

You may not like the methods they choose but you have created the situation and forced their hand by keeping a pet that cannot be controlled.
No they are not within their right to take whatever steps they deem necessary, anything which causes harm to the cat is illegal.

My point is why are people that bothered, cats bury their shit. It's under the ground covered with soil. Unless you're playing with the soil which is already pretty much pure bacteria it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you ever tried walking a cat, whilst one or two may do that, the vast majority would not. Cats wander, it's part of their nature.

So do dogs, but people train them as puppies. Train cats as kittens. I have never tried, because I will never own a cat.

I asked before and you did not answer. Would you think it was reasonable for a dog owner to allow their dog to shit all over your garden every day? Would your attitude change if it was an area you were growing food in?

Dogs are as people have said generally kept under control by their owners, in fact their owners are criminals if they allow them to roam about shitting and biting. As someone pointed out cats are COMPLETELY different, "Cats are completely independent, they like to roam". ie arent controllable. I low balled that "made up" figure.

Obviously you want a cat and you arent ever going to understand that it causes other people issues both in having to clean up after them and attempt to deter them from property. Or rather you surely do but just say people need to "get over themselves". Which is fine. Like cats humans arent domesticated either, they can act in greedy self interest or just with a lack of self awareness. Just dont start calling other people "horrible bastards" when you have taken an effectively feral animal, dumped it into an urban setting and expected your neighbours to pick up the price of that decision.
Obviously, you hate cats, and judging by your comments, you won't care if people kill them to keep them off your precious garden.

No they are not within their right to take whatever steps they deem necessary, anything which causes harm to the cat is illegal.

My point is why are people that bothered, cats bury their shit. It's under the ground covered with soil. Unless you're playing with the soil which is already pretty much pure bacteria it shouldn't be a problem.

Very different bacteria, and people do dig in gardens. It is called gardening. Many vegetables grow in the ground, they do not just appear on shelves in Tesco. It is not playing, and people have the right to dig & plant in their gardens without finding a cat toilet hidden in their parsnips.

So do dogs, but people train them as puppies. Train cats as kittens. I have never tried, because I will never own a cat.

I asked before and you did not answer. Would you think it was reasonable for a dog owner to allow their dog to shit all over your garden every day? Would your attitude change if it was an area you were growing food in?
No it wouldn't be acceptable for a dog owner to let their dog shit in my garden but that is very different as dogs do not bury their shit and are on a leader with their owner. If a small dog buried a shit in my garden, I couldn't care less.

With regards to growing food, are you aware the most fertilizers and soil and full of bacteria anyway.

Not really like.

I choose not to have cat as I don't want to clean their mess up. Why should I clean yours up so I can enjoy my garden?
it's under the ground??

what are you going to do about all the worms and insects shitting in Your soil

Very different bacteria, and people do dig in gardens. It is called gardening. Many vegetables grow in the ground, they do not just appear on shelves in Tesco. It is not playing, and people have the right to dig & plant in their gardens without finding a cat toilet hidden in their parsnips.
is it really that big a problem, given the soil bacteria is surely something you would wash your hands after anyway and the garden is covered is shit from birds and insects.

Last edited:
Unless you're playing with the soil which is already pretty much pure bacteria it shouldn't be a problem.
So you would class planting seed, bulbs, young plants etc as 'playing'? What about pulling weed and hoeing flowerbeds? Is that 'playing'? I would class it as gardening or maintenance of my property.

I'm sorry, but you're avoiding the fact that lots of people don't want OTHER PEOPLE'S pets fouling on their property. It's not nice discovering a pile of cat muck - buried or otherwise - when you're trying to smarten your garden up for the coming Spring/Summer season.

So given a cat can wander for up to a mile, your suggestion means that no can can own a cat unless they live in an house with a square mile of garden. Cats shitting under the soil in your garden shouldn't cause you any issues unless you are playing in the soil. The soil, which is pretty much already teaming with bacteria.

It's no different to any other animal (bird, mouse, fox) shitting in your garden. If you have a garden, expect wildlife to inhabit it.

As I say its selfish and if you choose not to see it in spite of this massive thread about how it affects peoples lives there's no way you will ever break that block in your mind. Foxes generally spoor infrequently and in the relatively open area close to their burrows as they use spoor to mark territory so you can see it before you are doing some gardening, they rarely pull up plants and most of all they are pretty f***ing rare. If next door decided to have a fox as a pet and brought the fucker into the street and just let it shit all over I'd be pretty pissed at that as well. Bird shite is oily and dispersed by water pretty quickly on a surface, and again unless under a roosting spot pretty rare to get a big pile of it. Mice dropping are small, I dont know where they prefer to shit because there arent any mice around what with all the cats killing them.

To try to say that someone choosing to bring a cat into an urban environment and choosing to let it out is the same as a wild animal occasionally flashing through an estate is bonkers.

And under the soil is bullshit, at best they flick some surface soil over it which actually makes it harder to spot and clean up before some poor bastard stands in it.

So you would class planting seed, bulbs, young plants etc as 'playing'? What about pulling weed and hoeing flowerbeds? Is that 'playing'? I would class it as gardening or maintenance of my property.

I'm sorry, but you're avoiding the fact that lots of people don't want OTHER PEOPLE'S pets fouling on their property. It's not nice discovering a pile of cat muck - buried or otherwise - when you're trying to smarten your garden up for the coming Spring/Summer season.
and my point is, is it really a big problem? Discovering a buried bit of cat shit mixed with soil? Just hoe it back in and it will decompose in days.

As I say its selfish and if you choose not to see it in spite of this massive thread about how it affects peoples lives there's no way you will ever break that block in your mind. Foxes generally spoor infrequently and in the relatively open area close to their burrows as they use spoor to mark territory so you can see it before you are doing some gardening, they rarely pull up plants and most of all they are pretty f***ing rare. If next door decided to have a fox as a pet and brought the fucker into the street and just let it shit all over I'd be pretty pissed at that as well. Bird shite is oily and dispersed by water pretty quickly on a surface, and again unless under a roosting spot pretty rare to get a big pile of it. Mice dropping are small, I dont know where they prefer to shit because there arent any mice around what with all the cats killing them.

To try to say that someone choosing to bring a cat into an urban environment and choosing to let it out is the same as a wild animal occasionally flashing through an estate is bonkers.

And under the soil is bullshit, at best they flick some surface soil over it which actually makes it harder to spot and clean up before some poor bastard stands in it.
You walk on your soil on a regular basis??

There is fox shit on my lawn at least once a week, and some of the seagull shit is bigger than the fox shit. It decomposes pretty quick and I don't lose any sleep over it.

Nope.

They leave it all over my lawn.

My beds (under the hedge) are lined and covered with bark.
That not likely to be cats then, as 99% will bury it. You sure it's not your wife?

Okay. Point accepted.

You therefore have to accept that people who do not want your cat 'roaming' in their garden are well within their rights to take whatever steps they deem necessary to stop it.

You may not like the methods they choose but you have created the situation and forced their hand by keeping a pet that cannot be controlled.
If I caught someone like you doing extreme things to my cat, I'd do the same thing to you.
Cruel bastard

it's under the ground??

what are you going to do about all the worms and insects shitting in Your soil

I can't recall ever seeing farms and the like using cat shit as a fertiliser, but they do use other types of manure.

Cats, being carnivores eat meat and with eating meat is an increased chance if worms and other diseases. It's why in the UK the majority of the meat we eat is vegetarian (with the exception of pork).

Now, please justify to my how its fair for my five year old boy to play in the garden one day, then go out the next day and inadvertently touch the shit from a neighbours cat.

There are three cats which pass through my garden and four locations they regularly shit in. I've yet to see it buried.

I also choose to not have a dog as I dont want to be picking it's shit up, but it's okay for me to have to clean up after a neighbours cat so my kids can play in my garden?

You walk on your soil on a regular basis??

Yes.

If whatever it is decomposes quickly on a lawn its not fox shit, fox shit is a scent marker and stays around f***ing ages. It will also kill you lawn, not as bad as cat as its not got whatever that nitrogen compound in that cat piss has that burns plants , but you'll get dead patches. Probably some twats dog.

Apart from a Blunderbuss anyone got any solutions?

Cat repellent ultrasonics seem to be good.

You need 2 budgies, makes no odds what sex or colour.

Make sure before you start you understand the body language of both budgies, and make sure you have them in single cages, not too many distractions, no bells etc pure focus.

Feed them early and avoid overwatering them, try to make sure you leave no food out, oh and lose the mirrors in the BOTH cages.

Now, on the day, place the cages in opposite ends of the garden, watch the ground for patterns of approach by said pussy.

As it approaches the cage, wallop.

Thank me later.

That not likely to be cats then, as 99% will bury it.

It is 100% cats as I've seen them do it.

You need 2 budgies, makes no odds what sex or colour.

Make sure before you start you understand the body language of both budgies, and make sure you have them in single cages, not too many distractions, no bells etc pure focus.

Feed them early and avoid overwatering them, try to make sure you leave no food out, oh and lose the mirrors in the BOTH cages.

Now, on the day, place the cages in opposite ends of the garden, watch the ground for patterns of approach by said pussy.

As it approaches the cage, wallop.

Thank me later.

This sounds amazing

is it really that big a problem, given the soil bacteria is surely something you would wash your hands after anyway and the garden is covered is shit from birds and insects.

You are making the assumption that all bacteria is bad, like the fools who panic about any form of EM radiation. Your stomach is full of bacteria, but there are many many different kinds. Cat shit contains toxoplasmosis which is very very bad. Recommendations are that any food that has been in close contact with cat shit is thrown away. See most veg growing websites and books. Obviously you don't throw away veg that has been in contact with soil, because that is what veg does.

If you think it is fine, would you like to meet up and I will feed you a parsnip that has been grown in cat shit?

No it wouldn't be acceptable for a dog owner to let their dog shit in my garden but that is very different as dogs do not bury their shit and are on a leader with their owner. If a small dog buried a shit in my garden, I couldn't care less.

I think this shows what a hypocrite you are. Actually I have found that the local cats are not burying their crap and it I usually find it sitting on the surface with a few bits of soil kicked over, barely giving it a covering, but the soil and plants around it dug over. Perhaps my neighbours have stupid cats that can't do it properly.

What about if it was the 70s again and the dog was not on a lead, just shoved out the door?

Put cats on leads and pick up after. That is the only responsible way to keep cats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back