Catholic Archbishop Says Pedophilia Is ‘Spiritual Encounter With God’

It is also highly unlikely that a paedophile priest would confess his sins because as far as I know, they don't think what they do is a sin.

Oh I think they do know exactly what they're doing is wrong. Child abusers are incredibly manipulative people and they target institutions that give them cover, deniability and protection if they are ever accused. Every news story coming out over the past few years absolutely reeks of this, no matter the creed of the offender. It's pretty much undeniable by now.

If it looks like a priest and talks like a priest, then it's probably a nonce.
Or a football coach. Very interchangeable nowadays.

Oh I think they do know exactly what they're doing is wrong. Child abusers are incredibly manipulative people and they target institutions that give them cover, deniability and protection if they are ever accused. Every news story coming out over the past few years absolutely reeks of this, no matter the creed of the offender. It's pretty much undeniable by now.

My point is that it is highly unlikely they are going to confess it to a priest in a confessional. The only reason they would do that is because they are sorry and are seeking forgiveness.

My point is that it is highly unlikely they are going to confess it to a priest in a confessional. The only reason they would do that is because they are sorry and are seeking forgiveness.
Not how it works. Repent your sin, be absolved of your sin. Wehey! Free to sin again.

Some depressing statistics from the recently completed Royal Commission into Child Sex Abuse in Australia.

Child sexual abuse royal commission: recommendations and statistics at a glance

Begs the question, does being involved in 'the Church' make people into nonces, or are nonces drawn to being involved in the Church?

It's the old 'nature or nurture' conundrum.

I think it is they are drawn to organisations that they can get a position of trust and gives access to children.

Yeah...but without the pain of being exposed by their actions. All very convenient. You can be as sorry as you want to be as long as the price is an easy one to pay...which it is if you're still allowed to breathe free air after you confess all. Considering your sins in a little cell is a little bit more difficult to contemplate.

Yeah...but without the pain of being exposed by their actions. All very convenient. You can be as sorry as you want to be as long as the price is an easy one to pay...which it is if you're still allowed to breathe free air after you confess all. Considering your sins in a little cell is a little bit more difficult to contemplate.

But why bother confessing if it doesn't mean anything. You are only codding yourself. No one else knows.

But if it makes it easier to sleep at night if you know what I mean whilst still breathing free air.

You need to be sorry for what you have done. Some would also say that if you have a conscience, you will suffer more by not being physically punished by prison. I can see the point of the seal of confession. If it wasn't there, people probably wouldn't confess anyway.

Back