Catch 22

Anyone read 'a confederacy of dunces?'

Half way through, picked it up in a charity shop the other week, never heard of it but its class.
Yes, it's class. Sadly a one off though, as the bloke who wrote it topped himself because he couldn't find anyone who would publish it.

1st episode was canny. good job its in chronological order or else it would be impossible to follow. seems to have Yosarians anxiety/despair/confusion presented quite well. although i hate the name yo-yo, can't remember that being used in the book.

1st episode was canny. good job its in chronological order or else it would be impossible to follow. seems to have Yosarians anxiety/despair/confusion presented quite well. although i hate the name yo-yo, can't remember that being used in the book.

I don't immediately remember it from the book either. Thought it was a solid start.

One of only 2 or 3 books I've ever binned whilst reading it. Absolute f***ing gibberish.
Me too. I just found it tedious. Lord of the f***ing Rings was another - when I was younger everyon was going on about how wonderful a book it was. Lord knows I tried, on more than one occasion, but just ended up coming to the conclusion that I had better things to do with my life.

iirc a group of new recruits turn up (after Orr goes missing?) Their good natured enthusiasm and the fact they call Yossarian 'YoYo' drive him deeper into despair.

iirc a group of new recruits turn up (after Orr goes missing?) Their good natured enthusiasm and the fact they call Yossarian 'YoYo' drive him deeper into despair.

yeah its the ones that are assigned to share his tent. but its very briefly. in fact he hates that name, yet he is referred by it a lot by his friends in the TV series.

Me too. I just found it tedious. Lord of the f***ing Rings was another - when I was younger everyon was going on about how wonderful a book it was. Lord knows I tried, on more than one occasion, but just ended up coming to the conclusion that I had better things to do with my life.
I read Lord of the Rings when I was about 10 or summat so I had nowt better to do. :lol:

Just working my way through it, read the book years ago which was excellent. The film didn’t do it justice but I think the series has hit the mark.

Back