Casual racism - going for a chinkys

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have names though.
East Garden, Liking, Happy Valley etc.
Far less offensive to use their names than the term you seem to use.
I used to live in Happy Valley, my apartment used to overlook the race-course, sit on the balcony watching the races when they were on, great days.
Anyway, oriental restaurant names, my nephews aunt opened up a restaurant in Sussex called Thai Fantasy, changed the name after three months as they had loads of phone calls asking did they offer "massages" 🙄

I used to live in Happy Valley, my apartment used to overlook the race-course, sit on the balcony watching the races when they were on, great days.
Anyway, oriental restaurant names, my nephews aunt opened up a restaurant in Sussex called Thai Fantasy, changed the name after three months as they had loads of phone calls asking did they offer "massages" 🙄

:lol::lol:

I look to the Prime Minister of our glorious nation for leadership in these situations. It seems it’s only the bum boys in tank tops, darkies with picaninny smiles and people dressed as letterboxes along with a few lefty snowflakes who are getting upset, so it looks like it’s Carry On Regardless.

Happy Days.

This ,

it’s not meant in any malice or racist way .Its an abbreviation /nick name for a corner shop or a takeaway.

how the word paki or chinkie has become a racist slur I don’t know tbh .Silly.

When people say "paki", even in an innocent reference to a shop, they don't tend to mean 'person from Pakistan' they tend to mean 'person who looks like they may have South Asian origin who may or may not be Pakistani'. Add to that the fairly common more abusive use of 'paki bastard' and it becomes clear why it is racist.

The chinese equivalent is much the same.

Yes, any of us who were around in the 90s or earlier probably used the terms but it doesn't mean we can't learn our mistake and stop. It's not difficult.

I stayed in a hotel out that neck of the woods which looked out over the racecourse and on to the mountains. We only had 1 day that wasn’t fogbound but when it cleared it was a stunning view.

Just a quick question to those who use the shortened version of Pakistani, do you only use it for people you know are from Pakistan? Or is it anybody with a hint of brown? I only ask because it’s one I’ve heard used to describe me loads in life, but my grandfather was from Yemen, about 3000 miles away.

Just a quick question to those who use the shortened version of Pakistani, do you only use it for people you know are from Pakistan? Or is it anybody with a hint of brown? I only ask because it’s one I’ve heard used to describe me loads in life, but my grandfather was from Yemen, about 3000 miles away.
I was going to India once, kashmir to be precise, a girl from witherwack said "inja? What yer gan there for, uts full a f***ing pa*is" geography wasn't her strong point.

It was used because most of the initial immigrants were from a couple of regions of Pakistan. Hence, locals assuming all brown people they me were from Pakistan because in most cases they were.

Similar thing. I was asked for directions to the nearest pakis earlier. Apparently it's what "everyone" calls any convenience store these days. 1st time I'd ever heard the reference.
Where are you from?

i really struggle to believe youve never heard a corner shop referred to as a packis mind

Probably time to close this thread now. I think it has run its course and I don't want to end up banning people at Christmas time.

One point I will make is if you find the forum is censoring a word and you are posting variants/mis-spellings/accents etc to get it to appear it means that word isn't acceptable to use here and you are likely to end up with a warning/ban if you persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back