Casual racism - going for a chinkys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xmas morning debate in our house, my old man hates dinners so I asked him what he was having to eat, said he’s going for a chinkys later (one is open where he lives apparently). My other half (no) took massive offence to this whereby I never even clicked on!
is it racist to say that?my view is, if it’s said in an innocent context then it’s not although I probably would be more aware

Similar thing. I was asked for directions to the nearest pakis earlier. Apparently it's what "everyone" calls any convenience store these days. 1st time I'd ever heard the reference.

Are Chinese people offended by the word Chinese ?
No, they or least ways the ones in my family don't give it a second thought, same as when they are chatting in Cantonese brits are referred to as gweilos.
To the Chinese community it is the equivalent of the N word
I have just asked a Chinese national, in a house at the moment with a couple of them, no offence taken by them.

Last edited:
To the Chinese community it is the equivalent of the N word or P word to black and Asian people. It’s not really for non-Chinese people to overrule that I would say.

I'd disagree mind, 'Paki' isn't really the equivalent from my experience. It can be used in a racist context but I've been around Pakistanis who've had it said around them from non Pakistanis and they haven't expressed any outrage.

No, they or least ways the ones in my family don't give it a second thought, same as when they are chatting in Cantonese brits are referred to as gweilos.

I have just asked a Chinese national, in a house at the moment with a couple of them, no offence taken by them.

And there will be black and Asian people that don’t take offence to the words I alluded to above but that doesn’t mean others won’t. I have seen a Chinese takeaway owner chastise a customer Who used it when telling a friend on the phone where he was.

As kids we called it the paki shop because it was and still is, ran by a Pakistani couple. It was simply an abbreviation

I get the old corner shop being owned by Pakistanis being referred to that way but in this case the nearest convenience stores are both run by white people. The shops are still pakis according to this woman.

And there will be black and Asian people that don’t take offence to the words I alluded to above but that doesn’t mean others won’t. I have seen a Chinese takeaway owner chastise a customer Who used it when telling a friend on the phone where he was.
But you said to the Chinese community, meaning all, I just asked three and they didn't find it offensive, but I am glad you feel offended for them, good show, keep it up 🙂

As kids we called it the paki shop because it was and still is, ran by a Pakistani couple. It was simply an abbreviation

I get the old corner shop being owned by Pakistanis being referred to that way but in this case the nearest convenience stores are both run by white people. The shops are still pakis according to this woman.

I'd disagree mind, 'Paki' isn't really the equivalent from my experience. It can be used in a racist context but I've been around Pakistanis who've had it said around them from non Pakistanis and they haven't expressed any outrage.

I get that, and black people use the N word but that doesn’t make it acceptable parlance for the rest of us.

But you said to the Chinese community, meaning all, I just asked three and they didn't find it offensive, but I am glad you feel offended for them, good show, keep it up 🙂

Yet these people who spoke to the BBC said they were offended by the term

So your sample size of three wasn’t enough

Never said I was offended! Just answered a question that was asked and the community means in general not every single person!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back