Castlevania: Lord of Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon I've sussed the ending, not sure, but if it's what I think it is it's about as subtle as a herd of rampaging rhinoceros.

I'm still playing it now, on hard difficulty, trying to get all the trials done as well. I f***ing love it and think it is an immense game that will be overlooked by most, which is a crying shame. Some annoying elements have popped up near the end though. Like the fight in Laura's bedroom with the Evil Toys; I never use the 'grab finish' moves as I like to build up health with Light Magic when the enemy is stunned, went through about 13 of them before realising I needed to use the finisher. That was annoying.

The post credits scene, not the actual ending.

Is it possible your love of Castlevania is blinding you to this game's faults? I've never played a CV game before so played the game at face value and although it's canny it's not THAT good, but then again I suppose it's subjective, like a lot of things eh.

It's nowt at all like any of the other Castlevanias. I honestly love it though, I find myself wanting to play it all the time, I played for about 5 hours straight yesterday and I've not done that with a game for years. It's well designed and the fighting is more innovative than any other game I've played for an age, up there with God of War in my opinion. You can tell it's a Kojima game because it's massively polished in every way. I honestly haven't had any problems with camera apart from in the fight with the second Titan which was just too big when it was close to the screen. As you say though different horses for different courses.

You are the second person to recommend Darksiders to me, will check it out if I don't get Enslaved first. You played that yet? I know we have massively different tastes but is it any good?

It's nowt at all like any of the other Castlevanias. I honestly love it though, I find myself wanting to play it all the time, I played for about 5 hours straight yesterday and I've not done that with a game for years. It's well designed and the fighting is more innovative than any other game I've played for an age, up there with God of War in my opinion. You can tell it's a Kojima game because it's massively polished in every way. I honestly haven't had any problems with camera apart from in the fight with the second Titan which was just too big when it was close to the screen. As you say though different horses for different courses.

You are the second person to recommend Darksiders to me, will check it out if I don't get Enslaved first. You played that yet? I know we have massively different tastes but is it any good?

I felt this was a poor mans God of War, but as you say opinions differ.

I do love hack n slash tho, and Darksiders is excellent. I'd go for that if I were you, much longer than Enslaved and can be picked up far cheaper at the minute I would guess.

I did enjoy Enslaved though, it was just too short. Took me four nights and the first of thos wasn't much more than an hour. I'm guessing certainly less than 10 hours. Maybe give it a few months when it will have plummetted in price (as most single player games do....)

Last edited:
Sounds exactly the same as Heavenly Sword. Loved that game, looked amazing, but was really short.

The post credits scene, not the actual ending.

Is it possible your love of Castlevania is blinding you to this game's faults? I've never played a CV game before so played the game at face value and although it's canny it's not THAT good, but then again I suppose it's subjective, like a lot of things eh.

Agree with that like. Good enough game but not as good as the other fella is saying. Even the combat isn't that spectacular (I done just about all of it using 1 button, then got the ultimate light ability and you could just about vapourise everything without moving). Def cannot be arsed to go through any of it again, even to get the bits what I missed (f***ing hate games that try to make you go back to locations to get stuff that you cannot get the first time around :evil:).

Darksiders is cool, really enjoyed it and a much more open game than this one. Must be cheap as fk by now as it was out ages ago.

Liked Enslaved as well, but as you say its not very long and pretty easy.

Agree with that like. Good enough game but not as good as the other fella is saying.

You've recommended some games on here that I thought were utter shite. I doubt if our tastes could be further apart.

Even the combat isn't that spectacular (I done just about all of it using 1 button, then got the ultimate light ability and you could just about vapourise everything without moving).

Well if you decided to go through the game just mashing the main attack button then no wonder you didn't experience all the combat has to offer. Each enemy has a move that it is more susceptible to than others, the magic of the combat is discovering the particular move and utilising it effectively. I could go through most games just mashing a single button but I don't because that way I don't get the most out of the game. God of War has a critically acclaimed combat system but if I only used the square button I'd probably not enjoy that either.

Def cannot be arsed to go through any of it again, even to get the bits what I missed (f***ing hate games that try to make you go back to locations to get stuff that you cannot get the first time around :evil:).

Then you must really hate games. I can think of very few games these days where there isn't some kind of back tracking required to unlock everything in the game. The most fun part for me has been going back and getting all the things that were unreachable before. I can't see your complaint with Castlevania especially considering how short most of the levels are and the small amount of levels that actually require you to go back in order to get weapon upgrades.

I hope you don't mind me saying but I think when you get copied games you enjoy them less. You feel you have to burn through a game in order to get to the next one and this can effect your experience. I had a boot disc for my Dreamcast and that's what it was like for me, I could never really focus on a game as I was always chomping at the bit to get onto the next one. Nowadays, when I buy a game, I like to enjoy it fully, play through it thoroughly, experience everything it has to offer.

When you get a game for free you might give it less time and if you only scratch the surface you can easily discard it as it cost you nowt. When I first got Heavenly Sword on my PS3 I hated it but as I'd paid 8,000 yen for it I forced myself to play it more. In the end, when I got the hang of it, I loved it and it is still one of my favourite current gen games. I know that if I had got it for nowt I would have sacked it off and missed out on a great game.

I'll say it again though, I f***ing love this game. I will be hanging on to it for the future and I know for a fact it's a game that I will pick up and play again.

Defensive geek rant over. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You've recommended some games on here that I thought were utter shite. I doubt if our tastes could be further apart.

Well if you decided to go through the game just mashing the main attack button then no wonder you didn't experience all the combat has to offer. Each enemy has a move that it is more susceptible to than others, the magic of the combat is discovering the particular move and utilising it effectively. I could go through most games just mashing a single button but I don't because that way I don't get the most out of the game. God of War has a critically acclaimed combat system but if I only used the square button I'd probably not enjoy that either.

Then you must really hate games. I can think of very few games these days where there isn't some kind of back tracking required to unlock everything in the game. The most fun part for me has been going back and getting all the things that were unreachable before. I can't see your complaint with Castlevania especially considering how short most of the levels are and the small amount of levels that actually require you to go back in order to get weapon upgrades.

I hope you don't mind me saying but I think when you get copied games you enjoy them less. You feel you have to burn through a game in order to get to the next one and this can effect your experience. I had a boot disc for my Dreamcast and that's what it was like for me, I could never really focus on a game as I was always chomping at the bit to get onto the next one. Nowadays, when I buy a game, I like to enjoy it fully, play through it thoroughly, experience everything it has to offer.

When you get a game for free you might give it less time and if you only scratch the surface you can easily discard it as it cost you nowt. When I first got Heavenly Sword on my PS3 I hated it but as I'd paid 8,000 yen for it I forced myself to play it more. In the end, when I got the hang of it, I loved it and it is still one of my favourite current gen games. I know that if I had got it for nowt I would have sacked it off and missed out on a great game.

I'll say it again though, I f***ing love this game. I will be hanging on to it for the future and I know for a fact it's a game that I will pick up and play again.

Defensive geek rant over. ;)

We'll all agree to disagree over this one.

I do partially agree on one point, i do often find mesel rattling through games to get on to the next one, though there are a few I really liked that I have gone back to to replay/get achievements, so I suppose it depends on the game......

Borderlands and Fallout 3 I put a lot of time into.

Burning games has nowt to do with owt. It's more the fact that games take a couple of hours nowadays to complete (or are just shit and get ditched within an hour). Ask anyone on here, they will say the same. Something like Fallout 3 will take months to "blast through" and won't be rushed because its a brilliant game and enjoyable from start to finish.

As for the combat, why do I need to do all the funky moves? There is abosolutely no need. If I can beat something in 20 seconds using my big move that I worked towards then why not use it? Why spend 5 minutes pissing about with other moves to beat it!?!?

As for replaying games, its just not me. I don't get any enjoyment going through games again. I've done it, I know whats happening and I know whats going to happen. When a game is completed, its put away. Even going back through games to get the extras has no point, the games completed and I done it without even needing these things. If I do suddenly get them, then what use are they? The games done.

As for replaying games, its just not me. I don't get any enjoyment going through games again. I've done it, I know whats happening and I know whats going to happen. When a game is completed, its put away. Even going back through games to get the extras has no point, the games completed and I done it without even needing these things. If I do suddenly get them, then what use are they? The games done.

You've never played a game more than once? I still play SNES games from my childhood that I've completed hundreds of times. If something is fun, I'll play it again and again.

How long does this last then?

It'll last you a good while, especially if you do all of the trials. Certainly lasts longer than most modern releases.

I havent, even before I started downloading games.

I would play it finish it and trade it in.

Really? Wow. I literally can name you a list of about 50 games I've completed more than once, most of them on the SNES from when I was a kid.

It'll last you a good while, especially if you do all of the trials. Certainly lasts longer than most modern releases.

Really? Wow. I literally can name you a list of about 50 games I've completed more than once, most of them on the SNES from when I was a kid.

I can name you 2, Resident Evil 2, years ago. Loved it so much I did it again a year or two after the first, and RE4, which I did again when we got a Wii.

Some games I played for a long time, mainly cos the bairn liked them, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet and Clank spring to mind, but I did love those mesel.

I put a huge amount opf time into FFVII, Oblivion and Fallout 3, quite a lot into Borderlands, other than that, when it's done it's done.

Borderlands 2nd playthrough was an intentional thing in the game anarl, new enemies, weapons etc.

I can name you 2, Resident Evil 2, years ago. Loved it so much I did it again a year or two after the first, and RE4, which I did again when we got a Wii.

Some games I played for a long time, mainly cos the bairn liked them, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet and Clank spring to mind, but I did love those mesel.

I put a huge amount opf time into FFVII, Oblivion and Fallout 3, quite a lot into Borderlands, other than that, when it's done it's done.

Borderlands 2nd playthrough was an intentional thing in the game anarl, new enemies, weapons etc.
FFVIII I clocked 14 times.
i put over 400+ hours into LMA Manager 2001
MGS on PS1 4 times.
Borderlands me and me mate on co-op had a combined time of 230 hours.
Fallout 3 on 3 different consoles i had just over 800 hours.:oops::oops:

In my defense i rarely drink and i only ever play games, go out with mates or go to gigs or SAFC matches, so i do get a lot of time for gaming:oops:

Also Ratchet and clank i have completed the whole series 3 times.

i need some mates:lol:

FFVIII I clocked 14 times.
i put over 400+ hours into LMA Manager 2001
MGS on PS1 4 times.
Borderlands me and me mate on co-op had a combined time of 230 hours.
Fallout 3 on 3 different consoles i had just over 800 hours.:oops::oops:

In my defense i rarely drink and i only ever play games, go out with mates or go to gigs or SAFC matches, so i do get a lot of time for gaming:oops:

Also Ratchet and clank i have completed the whole series 3 times.

i need some mates

f***ing hell, I thought my 100 hours + on Oblivion was bad!

I now picture you like this I'm afraid.

Logon or register to see this image

Just finished this now. I sussed the ending well before I got there, the monologues by Zobek gave it away pretty early, I reckon. Nice homage to the original Castlevanias in the end sequence mind, the area that Zobek enters is where the final boss battles always take place in the others. Good stuff.

Totally agree about the last boss being too easy mind and the ultimate moves for both Light and Dark magic are way too overpowered.

Going trough it now to get 110% in every level and on track for my third platinum trophy. ;)

Strange ending but no spoilers off me.

Some of the most recent games have taken place in the era that appears in the end credits. Obviously leaving the sequel open to appear during the same time as well.

Aye the puzzlebox was annoying, easy to suss but that electricity part was just mainly a run and hope.

It was pretty easy I thought. In the first section you need to move forward one step after each lightning flash and on the second part do a mad dash after the third flicker. Did take me a few tries to get it all sussed like.

Just got my platinum trophy, buzzing. ;) A bit gutted that it's all over now though, roll on the DLC. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back