carnivore diet

I find stuff like this so interesting. I still wonder if you have an intolerance going on, something with wheat, gluten and/or nightshades - you've mentioned when you went plant-based that you ate a lot of pasta and potatoes. There might be a middle ground somewhere where you stay meat based but can enjoy some fruit and veg as well. Please don't take this as picking holes, just genuinely interested.

I too find it really interesting and I don't follow the rule its as simple as calories in calories out for weight loss and I also believe any diet will work for weight loss, its what happens after the diet ends that matters and if a diet has to end its not right, should be a life style change. Its one of the topics where there is too much info out there and no idea whats right or wrong as the science is struggling to understand it all, which is why advice changes week to week or month to month. I do think your right that some people react very different to different types of foods. Interesting thought is you can have someone smoke and have no ill effects and live a long life, doesn't mean that was healthy, pretty much think the same with regards food. Some foods might seem fine but effect some people badly and not effect others at all.

"big differences between whole food plant or whole food Meat is the toilet time after you have adapted, on plant base a lot more waste, farting a lot and tended to be more bloated after meals, also felt hungry more and eat more often through the day and still lost weight. "

Currently reading How Not to Diet, which he is a plant based advocate, and a lot of what is being talked about is around that basically you are eating in general low calorie high density (if you are WFPT) so wil be eating way more food and in particular fibre which changes how much the body can absorb as well.

I have been plant based 4 years now and have to be honest dont find that I fart too much, but do have to toilet 3-4 times a day pretty regulary, that's eating around 50-70g of fibre a day. Main thing find though is my crap doesnt smell anyway near as bad as back when was eating meat.

Would be worried about the long term effect of carnivore diet know Jordan Peterson and his daughter have seen benefits short term, as in essence its an elimination diet, but medium to long term blood work etc especially with the lack of fibre and what it may be doing to the microbiom, heart diesease etc etc. My main reason for going plant based is down to what I see as the long term health and longevity benefits from it, as well as some of the factory farming and me realising thst was eating few hundred chickens a year which clearly isnt sustainable for anyone who has kept chickens in the past would need a huge flock just for me.

My partner eats meat but I buy stuff from her from the local butcher who only gets local food in from generally good sources, but even round the north east there are zero grazing herds of cows etc producing meat.

A lot of the trouble with fertilisers etc as well though comes down to monocropping and the fact that a lot of food is grown as animal feed, soy production for example 60-70% depending on what figure you beleive is fed to animals. Bigger worry there as well really is the antibiotics being added and absorbed by humans and effect in the future this may have. Soil quality is going to be a big issue in some countries, along with water access, over the next 50 years or so.

Be interesting to do eliminbation diet the other way, replace potato with sweet potatoes, swap pasta for maybe older grains like Quinoa etc or even the non wheat based pastas, theres some really good ones out there that are lentil and other legume based types that are pretty tasty and are in most supermarkets.

I have done an Elimination diet with just spuds after reading Penn's book "presto" it works, resistance starch is a thing that's great for hunger control. You hit the nail on the head with regards not knowing what the long term effects of different ways of eating has, its why I spent some time looking to our past for ideas, some surprising research.

Tons of research out there to back up many different theories, so have to be careful from grains causing inflammation of the heart to constant change of advice with regards healthly fats or bad fats.

theres been a study in Africa and down under on large herds of cattle allowed to roam free, Regenerative Agriculture I think is the buzz word, we are talking groups of 1000's, it found that when the cattle was allowed to roam in massive herds ( think the size of buffalo herds of the past ) it healed the soil, stopped soil erosion and changed the landscape back to plains. Stopped drought effects also Interesting stuff, theres a ted talk about it
but I failed to find the study I read.

The problem is with regards the world, theres just too many of us, that's the elephant in the room, also look at toilets, the amount of water wasted to remove our waste is insane, we spend tons of energy and massive amounts of water just to move our crap, has to be a better way, the plasma toilets look interesting, but not sure I could stick my arse over one lol.

All factory farming is evil, plant or animal based, you see the effects very easy with animal farming but the damage also done with massive farming of plants is just as scary, I was reading a report about how now they think bio fuel could be more damaging to our health and the plant than first thought, the damage done bring plant based foods that are out of season is crazy, we need a complete rethink about our food systems, but that's a different subject.

I have kept chickens free range on my allotment and when left to roam with some grains added, plus waste greens you get quite a few eggs all year round, I have 20 hens and was avg a dozen eggs a day the chickens I had did 300 eggs each a year.

With regards fibre great studies down under who argue fibre is bad for your gut, people who suffer with terrible bowl problems tend to get worse when adding more fibre but when given a fibre free diet are cured. Dr. Paul Mason I think was running the studies you can find some of his talks online where he explains his findings.

Like I said so interesting and so confusing at times, I think we can all agree so long as you keep away from processed foods, you should be healthier.

I'm largely plant based but neither vegan nor vegetarian. I probably eat meat 10 times a year (I haven't at all this year yet) and very little dairy, but I do eat a lot of eggs.

Last Christmas I ate a lot of meat in a short space of time and my farts and toilet behaviours were absolutely nasty - I can't say it was from protein because I eat loads of it in legumes and lentils every day usually. These absolutely lifting farts is what has put me off eating meat more if nothing else. Day to day I could compete for Britain in the Toilet Olympics - 3-4 shits a day is fairly normal - but (speaking freely) it just shoots out and isn't half as horrible.

Anyway! :lol:

Yup, its to do with the Bactria in the gut, when plant based you gain the Bactria to break down plant based stuff and if you swap to meat you have a hell of a time adapting same the other way around. With meat ( more fats ) it takes a bit for your body to start producing the enzymes for breaking the fat down, which leads to smelly and bad toliet time, but after that its smell free. ( was for me at least )

Last edited:

I too find it really interesting and I don't follow the rule its as simple as calories in calories out for weight loss and I also believe any diet will work for weight loss, its what happens after the diet ends that matters and if a diet has to end its not right, should be a life style change. Its one of the topics where there is too much info out there and no idea whats right or wrong as the science is struggling to understand it all, which is why advice changes week to week or month to month. I do think your right that some people react very different to different types of foods. Interesting thought is you can have someone smoke and have no ill effects and live a long life, doesn't mean that was healthy, pretty much think the same with regards food. Some foods might seem fine but effect some people badly and not effect others at all.

I have done an Elimination diet with just spuds after reading Penn's book "presto" it works, resistance starch is a thing that's great for hunger control. You hit the nail on the head with regards not knowing what the long term effects of different ways of eating has, its why I spent some time looking to our past for ideas, some surprising research.

Tons of research out there to back up many different theories, so have to be careful from grains causing inflammation of the heart to constant change of advice with regards healthly fats or bad fats.

theres been a study in Africa and down under on large herds of cattle allowed to roam free, Regenerative Agriculture I think is the buzz word, we are talking groups of 1000's, it found that when the cattle was allowed to roam in massive herds ( think the size of buffalo herds of the past ) it healed the soil, stopped soil erosion and changed the landscape back to plains. Stopped drought effects also Interesting stuff, theres a ted talk about it
but I failed to find the study I read.

The problem is with regards the world, theres just too many of us, that's the elephant in the room, also look at toilets, the amount of water wasted to remove our waste is insane, we spend tons of energy and massive amounts of water just to move our crap, has to be a better way, the plasma toilets look interesting, but not sure I could stick my arse over one lol.

All factory farming is evil, plant or animal based, you see the effects very easy with animal farming but the damage also done with massive farming of plants is just as scary, I was reading a report about how now they think bio fuel could be more damaging to our health and the plant than first thought, the damage done bring plant based foods that are out of season is crazy, we need a complete rethink about our food systems, but that's a different subject.

I have kept chickens free range on my allotment and when left to roam with some grains added, plus waste greens you get quite a few eggs all year round, I have 20 hens and was avg a dozen eggs a day the chickens I had did 300 eggs each a year.

With regards fibre great studies down under who argue fibre is bad for your gut, people who suffer with terrible bowl problems tend to get worse when adding more fibre but when given a fibre free diet are cured. Dr. Paul Mason I think was running the studies you can find some of his talks online where he explains his findings.

Like I said so interesting and so confusing at times, I think we can all agree so long as you keep away from processed foods, you should be healthier.

Yup, its to do with the Bactria in the gut, when plant based you gain the Bactria to break down plant based stuff and if you swap to meat you have a hell of a time adapting same the other way around. With meat ( more fats ) it takes a bit for your body to start producing the enzymes for breaking the fat down, which leads to smelly and bad toliet time, but after that its smell free. ( was for me at least )

Your shit doesn''t stink at all?

Your shit doesn''t stink at all?

Not after I adapted, but to be honest they are tiny as well, its as if around 90% of what I eat is used by the body compared to my plant based diet when I used to have cow pats lol.

My current diet of eating just what ever due to this damn lock down my gut is in bits, not good at all but I know that's because my current diet ( tins etc ) is shite.

Going to keep a really good record when lock down ends and see how things go, using MFP. Track everything I can.

I'm having a carnivore day today, just dipping my toe in the water to see how sustainable it would be. Would be doing it for elimination purposes. I very much doubt I can stay away from carbs like.

today:
breakfast - 2 cups of tea (too busy to eat) - I did have milk, which I would if I was to do it.

lunch - 4x grill steaks, 2 fried eggs cooked in butter

tea - 500g ribeye. Even a big pile of brocolli would be a welcome addition. Just having a steak by itself will feel weird.

That only comes to 1900 cals though.

I'm having a carnivore day today, just dipping my toe in the water to see how sustainable it would be. Would be doing it for elimination purposes. I very much doubt I can stay away from carbs like.

today:
breakfast - 2 cups of tea (too busy to eat) - I did have milk, which I would if I was to do it.

tea - 500g ribeye. Even a big pile of brocolli would be a welcome addition. Just having a steak by itself will feel weird.

Having vegetables alongside it will probably be fine (with the exception of starchy veg like potato). You might find that you drop into Ketosis whereby the body uses fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates

Having vegetables alongside it will probably be fine (with the exception of starchy veg like potato). You might find that you drop into Ketosis whereby the body uses fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates
Then it’s keto and not carnivore though, and seeing as it would be for elimination purposes I’d like to follow the protocol as strictly as possible. It’s just for the day anyway as a bit of an experiment.

obviously I wouldn’t go into ketosis after one day but I don’t think you go into even on long periods of carnivore due to the high protein content

Last edited:

today:

The low calorie is why it works, I thought that was the whole point of it, have an orange as well.

Then it’s keto and not carnivore though, and seeing as it would be for elimination purposes I’d like to follow the protocol as strictly as possible. It’s just for the day anyway as a bit of an experiment.

obviously I wouldn’t go into ketosis after one day but I don’t think you go into even on long periods of carnivore due to the high protein content

If it was purely carnivore for a few days you’ll definitely go into Ketosis. The Keto diet is depriving your body of carbs which it naturally uses for fuel so that it burns the next easiest store of energy.... fat. If you’re looking to eliminate a few issues I’m sure you’ll feel better for it, everything I’ve read about carnivore says that you feel pretty good after the initial low energy phase but I’m not sure it’s sustainable, or good for you longer term

The low calorie is why it works, I thought that was the whole point of it, have an orange as well.
For weight loss, but I’m not interested in that side of it. Calories can be controlled in any diet
If it was purely carnivore for a few days you’ll definitely go into Ketosis. The Keto diet is depriving your body of carbs which it naturally uses for fuel so that it burns the next easiest store of energy.... fat. If you’re looking to eliminate a few issues I’m sure you’ll feel better for it, everything I’ve read about carnivore says that you feel pretty good after the initial low energy phase but I’m not sure it’s sustainable, or good for you longer term
Keto isn’t just low carb though, it’s low carb, relatively low protein and high fat. Have too much protein and your body will convert the protein into glucose through gluconeogenesis. A keto diet will only have around 20% if your macros from protein to avoid this. It’s much higher on carnivore

Last edited:
For weight loss, but I’m not interested in that side of it. Calories can be controlled in any diet

Keto isn’t just low carb though, it’s low carb, relatively low protein and high fat. Have too much protein and your body will convert the protein into glucose through gluconeogenesis. A keto diet will only have around 20% if your macros from protein to avoid this. It’s much higher on carnivore

Never knew that! Stick to the fatty cuts then :lol:

I did end up having a bigger tea. My lass couldn’t eat 500g of steak so I ended up having 700g of ribeye, reverse seared and finished in beef dripping. Ended up being around 550 cals lower than my maintainence (which is deliberate)

mid afternoon was like someone opened a tap on my arse mind.Wasn’t expecting that after 1 bloody meal!

I did end up having a bigger tea. My lass couldn’t eat 500g of steak so I ended up having 700g of ribeye, reverse seared and finished in beef dripping. Ended up being around 550 cals lower than my maintainence (which is deliberate)

mid afternoon was like someone opened a tap on my arse mind.Wasn’t expecting that after 1 bloody meal!

I hope you have more than one bog in the house.

I hope you have more than one bog in the house.
Thankfully. Mind I could just stick my arse out the window and slurry the garden.

just a one day thing, on the drink tomorrow and eating gyros :lol: but I wouldn’t rule out having a good run at it.

upside is you really don’t feel hungry at all, zero cravings late afternoon which I do normally get.

Downside was the shits and the cost. Tea cost about £20

Thankfully. Mind I could just stick my arse out the window and slurry the garden.

just a one day thing, on the drink tomorrow and eating gyros :lol: but I wouldn’t rule out having a good run at it.

upside is you really don’t feel hungry at all, zero cravings late afternoon which I do normally get.

Downside was the shits and the cost. Tea cost about £20

Can you eat loads of chicken on the carnivore diet or do you need high fat meat?

Can you eat loads of chicken on the carnivore diet or do you need high fat meat?
I think people who follow it will tell you red meat is more preferable due to the high nutrient content. Rib eyes are maybe the second most expensive cut of steak nowadays as it’s flown up in popularity, you could probably do cheaper fatty cuts such as flank and save some cash. Probably be better off with skin on chicken thighs if you were gonna keep the cost down with lots of chicken. You’d have to eat a lot of chicken a day if you were gonna go for lean breasts.

I’ve seen a recommend macro split as 1g fat to 1g of protein and virtually no carbs. So you’re getting most of you energy from fat due to 1g of fat being more calorie dense than protein

Last edited:
I think people who follow it will tell you red meat is more preferable due to the high nutrient content. Rib eyes are maybe the second more expensive cut of steak nowadays as it’s flown up in popularity, you could probably do cheaper fatty cuts such as flank and save some cash. Probably be better off with skin on chicken thighs if you were gonna keep the cost down with lots of chicken. You’d have to eat a lot of chicken a day if you were gonna go for lean breasts.

I’ve seen a recommend macro split as 1g fat to 1g of protein and virtually no carbs. So you’re getting most of you energy from fat due to 1g of fat being more calorie dense than protein

My thinking was eggs for breakfast, a couple of chicken tits for dinner and red meat for tea. I'll have to read more into it but it sounds expensive to do properly.

My thinking was eggs for breakfast, a couple of chicken tits for dinner and red meat for tea. I'll have to read more into it but it sounds expensive to do properly.
Yer I think Shawn baker has a couple of sausages and 8 eggs for breakfast.

I think it seems expensive but be interesting to see how it pans out over a month or so if you’re not buying things even like tea and coffee, veg, sweet treats etc. Remove all that stuff and it might not be too bad.

Yer I think Shawn baker has a couple of sausages and 8 eggs for breakfast.

I think it seems expensive but be interesting to see how it pans out over a month or so if you’re not buying things even like tea and coffee, veg, sweet treats etc. Remove all that stuff and it might not be too bad.

So you can do it dirty with Butcher's sausages and burgers to keep the cost down? Sounds class to be fair.

Back