carnivore diet

Thanks for the replies and insight, very helpful and just started reading the "fat of the land" to gather more info.

So my last carb meal was Thursday 7pm, so a couple of days in for me and my wife and some quite interesting results so far.

Wife lost 10 pounds I lost 6 ( I would expect that to be 3/4 water weight and some fat. I lost an inch from my waist, think maybe I was bloated before?

biggest change is the pain my wife was in with her hip, she has been to hospital , had tests and all sorts, on pain killers non stop and finds it hard to move. after 2 days pain gone completely she is now 100% on board with this diet due to the lost pounds and being pain free for the first time in years, maybe a placebo effect? I don't know but happy to keep trying this to see what happens after 30 days, my mood is still the same, but no longer comfort eating and no longer hungry between meals which is a plus I suppose.

No all plain sailing, the toilet due to the change over has been hard work, my body is shedding water like nothing but from my rear end, its like having a good clear out and I can no longer trust my farts, plus I think due to the water loss I have caused a slight imbalance in my electrolytes as I had leg cramp last night for the first time in ages.

couldn't afford to go just beef, so kept eggs , pork and chicken in the diet atm.

Going to keep this updated with the good and bad incase it will help others and as a little record for myself but so far ( very early days ) the plus outweigh the negatives
I'd be interested in your progress. Keep us updated.

Little update on our progress,

Apart from toilet trouble my wife is doing great, pain free for days now, no longer snacking and has by accident been doing intermittent fasting, she eats last meal around 8pm ( backshift atm ) and doesn't eat again until around 11-12 in the morning. She has lost 11.2 pounds and thinks her hair and nails are improving.

My arse was red raw from the trots so looked up how to solve it and was told to take lipase to aid with dealing with the fat content, so got a multi digestive enzyme complex by natures aid, had a small effect with the wife a bit off an improvement but she still has the trots just not as often, but by god it made the last 2 days hell for me, acid indigestion was very painful, caused some sickness and just a bad idea for me at least, didn't take them today and guts settled right down, acid gone and feeling much better but it seems to have solved the runs a bit, very soft little number 2's but not full on waterfall thank the lord. I also took a zinc tablet and an electrolyte one due to the water loss last few days, but I feel great, no more leg cramps, no hunger at all and really enjoying eggs funny enough.

So a little bit of the progress to compare the plant based diet I did started middle of Dec but stopped again around xmas and then restarted Jan 1st Lost around 6 pounds between middle of Dec to Jan the first.

I was on wholefood plant based ( had a couple of little slips ) was hungry a lot and had terrible cravings, also found myself wanting to drink most nights and was hard at times to not give in, but I did go from 220.5 pounds to 208.4 pounds the last 3 weeks of plant based I had stalled and only lost around a pound. Since Friday the 14th I have gone from 208.4 to 202.2.

so Plant based Jan the first to Feb the 13th 220.5 down to 208.4 44 days and lost 12.1 pounds
carnivore diet Feb 14th to 19th so far 208.4 down to 202.2 5 days and lost 6.2 pounds

Its very early days but the biggest difference so far is the cravings I just have none, nothing at all when on plant based whole foods there was so much stuff I missed and wanted and it was always a mental struggle, plus i was always bloated and hungry. Now hopefully this keeps up but its interesting going from basically a vegan diet to an all meat , getting to see some stark differences.

overall very happy at my loss between the two diets I have gone from around 226.5 ( heaviest I have ever been ) to 202.2 so 24.3 pounds lost since middle of December has to be good for me and my health, will keep this updated with the progress on this diet but very hopeful if things keep going the way they are I might even reach a healthy weight, be interesting once I add some fitness into the mix after a further week of adapting.

Update time.

So the last few days has been interesting, terrible heartburn and gut pain, after some research it seems I have low stomach acid and may have SIBO.

So after checking online the options for low acid is apple cider vinegar or betaine HCL, it seems as we get older our acid levels drop and I didn't notice before as I was plant based, but the swap to meat has brought it to the forefront. So I got some betaine HCL and take 1 before my meal and its solved the acid problem, The SIBO is hard to test but the symptoms match some I have, its really hard to treat too, so needs more research it seems 1 in 7 people suffer with it and one of the causes is low acid, so my thinking is cure the low acid first, then look into SIBO.
To manage SIBO it says to eat a FODMAP diet, which I am on all meat.

Energy levels seem fine, have the trots now and then again, but eating smaller meals helps, but now have a very dry mouth, dead thirsty and drinking tons of water, no longer peeing through the night though which is great, in fact not peeing as much on this diet at all.

Got the bad breath and my BO is stronger, a real downside, hope it doesn't last long, but a pro is my morning wood is the strongest its been for years and my sex drive is back big time, wife was impressed woohoo lol

the weight loss is insane losing really well while keeping tons of energy and not hungry, down to 198.4lbs today, so another 4lbs drop once I hit 198 I go from being obese to just overweight a big milestone.

So the gut problems have been worse than expected , smelly breath and BO is a pain but overall more pros than cons atm, looking forward to when I start some fitness in a weeks time to see how things go.

ohh i got a new scale a Renpho one with app, pretty good helps tracks trends with body fat, water etc, used some skin calipers to check body fat and its pretty damn close to the scales so happy to trust the scales to show trends, one thing its showing is i am gaining water weight but losing fat and some lean as I drop weight.

Well it was going fantastic until the lockdown. Once my guts got used to the diet felt great.

Couldn't get the shopping we wanted or needed and went back to a mixed diet. Problem was things like eggs was 1 pack per person and we don't drive so had to get orders delivered which messed everything up, long story short we just couldn't get enough meat per order. We were eating quite a few eggs a day to keep costs down too, so no eggs became a big problem.

Since going back to things like rice, pasta, lentils spuds etc, weight has gone back up, bloated belly is back and dry skin has returned.
Wife is reporting that her back and legs problems are worse again.

I am convinced in our case at least the Carnivore diet has more positives than negatives for us, which has lead us to now work out how to stay on the diet when all hell breaks loose ( like a lockdown )

Dried beans, grains and oats are easy to store for these times but meat is a different matter, we didn't have enough freezer room to bulk buy before the lockdown and not set up to "dry" meat.

Once things go back to normal 100% restarting the diet with the goal of it being a lifestyle change.

Last edited:
Well it was going fantastic until the lockdown. Once my guts got used to the diet felt great.

Couldn't get the shopping we wanted or needed and went back to a mixed diet. Problem was things like eggs was 1 pack per person and we don't drive so had to get orders delivered which messed everything up, long story short we just couldn't get enough meat per order. We were eating quite a few eggs a day to keep costs down too, so no eggs became a big problem.

Since going back to things like rice, pasta, lentils spuds etc, weight has gone back up, bloated belly is back and dry skin has returned.

I am convinced in our case at least the Carnivore diet has more positives than negatives for us, which has lead us to now work out how to stay on the diet when all hell breaks loose ( like a lockdown )

Dried beans, grains and oats are easy to store for these times but meat is a different matter, we didn't have enough freezer room to bulk buy before the lockdown and not set up to "dry" meat.

Once things go back to normal 100% restarting the diet with the goal of it being a lifestyle change.

Do you eat alot of chicken on the carnivore diet?

Have you tried going down the Paleo route? Still lots of meat but you also eat loads of fruit and veggies plus nuts and seeds (basically if you can grow it or it had a mother you can eat it). It might help with the skin or inflammation issues if you have an intolerance of certain foods

It sounds like you've found something that works for you which is great, though I'd second the paleo route as an option. It might be that you have something like a nightshade intolerance or celiac disease.

Been reading about that and that has crossed my mind also, but I did have some success with a vegan diet.

Do you eat alot of chicken on the carnivore diet?

Was trying not to at first, Was mainly Beef as the guy I was reading said in his opinion Beef had the highest quality fat from the meats and was nutritional dense, but I will be honest I just couldn't afford Beef steaks all the time, So started added Eggs and other meats, very quickly didn't miss the other foods at all and had zero hunger issues. I also stayed away from bacon and kept to whole meats, just plain and not over cooked ( reason I stuck with beef )

Moving forward after trying vegan, mixed diet, the "SAD" diet and now this, the SAD diet is by far the worse ( standard American diet, call it that for ease ) processed food and takeaway does nothing good for your body or mind imo. The mixed mainly whole food diet I don't think is great either, something about mixing the food groups doesn't go well with me, I think we tend to do better going one way or another, maybe something to do with our gut biome ?

The best was being Vegan or Carnivore both helped me lose weight and both had health benefits but I had the biggest improvements with Carnivore even thought I prefer cooking the vegan way, hate the smells and feel of fat in the kitchen.

" big differences between whole food plant or whole food Meat is the toilet time after you have adapted, on plant base a lot more waste, farting a lot and tended to be more bloated after meals, also felt hungry more and eat more often through the day and still lost weight. Meat based the amount of waste dropped massive to the point could go every couple of days instead of 1/2 times a day. no bloating and felt full all the time, only eat when hungry and was easier to know when hungry.

Problem is plant based with the dried foods and being able to grow some things at home is much easier than stocking up with meat, when I went to eggs and minced beef added into the diet and not just steaks, the cost wasn't to far off eating plant based.

Now quick weight loss the best diet was starch based whole plants, can lose a lot of fat quickly first couple of weeks, but you keep the belly a bit ( bloating imo ) with meat based you lose a crap ton of water the first week but then your losses are slower but more from the belly area.

The metal said of things my mood was much better on meat only, but meals looked better and as a social thing plant based is better. The food looks more fun and is more acceptable atm. The meat is boring but tasty and meal times become more about fuel than a social thing, which is why I think you just don't over eat. ( Bacon or processed meats don't work that way and you can easily over eat. )

Lastly Dairy I don't think has any benfit on any diet and after our youth we have no need for milk or milk products, I would put items like cheese in the highly processed column.

Now from a moral stand point mass factory farms are a terrible thing and I can see the reason why so many want a plant based diet, the problem with that is the amount of damage done with fertilizer and pesticides.

Last edited:
Been reading about that and that has crossed my mind also, but I did have some success with a vegan diet.

Was trying not to at first, Was mainly Beef as the guy I was reading said in his opinion Beef had the highest quality fat from the meats and was nutritional dense, but I will be honest I just couldn't afford Beef steaks all the time, So started added Eggs and other meats, very quickly didn't miss the other foods at all and had zero hunger issues. I also stayed away from bacon and kept to whole meats, just plain and not over cooked ( reason I stuck with beef )

Moving forward after trying vegan, mixed diet, the "SAD" diet and now this, the SAD diet is by far the worse ( standard American diet, call it that for ease ) processed food and takeaway does nothing good for your body or mind imo. The mixed mainly whole food diet I don't think is great either, something about mixing the food groups doesn't go well with me, I think we tend to do better going one way or another, maybe something to do with our gut biome ?

The best was being Vegan or Carnivore both helped me lose weight and both had health benefits but I had the biggest improvements with Carnivore even thought I prefer cooking the vegan way, hate the smells and feel of fat in the kitchen.

" big differences between whole food plant or whole food Meat is the toilet time after you have adapted, on plant base a lot more waste, farting a lot and tended to be more bloated after meals, also felt hungry more and eat more often through the day and still lost weight. Meat based the amount of waste dropped massive to the point could go every couple of days instead of 1/2 times a day. no bloating and felt full all the time, only eat when hungry and was easier to know when hungry.

Problem is plant based with the dried foods and being able to grow some things at home is much easier than stocking up with meat, when I went to eggs and minced beef added into the diet and not just steaks, the cost wasn't to far off eating plant based.

Now quick weight loss the best diet was starch based whole plants, can lose a lot of fat quickly first couple of weeks, but you keep the belly a bit ( bloating imo ) with meat based you lose a crap ton of water the first week but then your losses are slower but more from the belly area.

The metal said of things my mood was much better on meat only, but meals looked better and as a social thing plant based is better. The food looks more fun and is more acceptable atm. The meat is boring but tasty and meal times become more about fuel than a social thing, which is why I think you just don't over eat. ( Bacon or processed meats don't work that way and you can easily over eat. )

Lastly Dairy I don't think has any benfit on any diet and after our youth we have no need for milk or milk products, I would put items like cheese in the highly processed column.

Now from a moral stand point mass factory farms are a terrible thing and I can see the reason why so many want a plant based diet, the problem with that is the amount of damage done with fertilizer and pesticides.

That was my thinking with chicken. It's much cheaper than steak.

I find stuff like this so interesting. I still wonder if you have an intolerance going on, something with wheat, gluten and/or nightshades - you've mentioned when you went plant-based that you ate a lot of pasta and potatoes. There might be a middle ground somewhere where you stay meat based but can enjoy some fruit and veg as well. Please don't take this as picking holes, just genuinely interested.

"big differences between whole food plant or whole food Meat is the toilet time after you have adapted, on plant base a lot more waste, farting a lot and tended to be more bloated after meals, also felt hungry more and eat more often through the day and still lost weight. "

Currently reading How Not to Diet, which he is a plant based advocate, and a lot of what is being talked about is around that basically you are eating in general low calorie high density (if you are WFPT) so wil be eating way more food and in particular fibre which changes how much the body can absorb as well.

I have been plant based 4 years now and have to be honest dont find that I fart too much, but do have to toilet 3-4 times a day pretty regulary, that's eating around 50-70g of fibre a day. Main thing find though is my crap doesnt smell anyway near as bad as back when was eating meat.

Would be worried about the long term effect of carnivore diet know Jordan Peterson and his daughter have seen benefits short term, as in essence its an elimination diet, but medium to long term blood work etc especially with the lack of fibre and what it may be doing to the microbiom, heart diesease etc etc. My main reason for going plant based is down to what I see as the long term health and longevity benefits from it, as well as some of the factory farming and me realising thst was eating few hundred chickens a year which clearly isnt sustainable for anyone who has kept chickens in the past would need a huge flock just for me.

My partner eats meat but I buy stuff from her from the local butcher who only gets local food in from generally good sources, but even round the north east there are zero grazing herds of cows etc producing meat.

A lot of the trouble with fertilisers etc as well though comes down to monocropping and the fact that a lot of food is grown as animal feed, soy production for example 60-70% depending on what figure you beleive is fed to animals. Bigger worry there as well really is the antibiotics being added and absorbed by humans and effect in the future this may have. Soil quality is going to be a big issue in some countries, along with water access, over the next 50 years or so.
I find stuff like this so interesting. I still wonder if you have an intolerance going on, something with wheat, gluten and/or nightshades - you've mentioned when you went plant-based that you ate a lot of pasta and potatoes. There might be a middle ground somewhere where you stay meat based but can enjoy some fruit and veg as well. Please don't take this as picking holes, just genuinely interested.
Be interesting to do eliminbation diet the other way, replace potato with sweet potatoes, swap pasta for maybe older grains like Quinoa etc or even the non wheat based pastas, theres some really good ones out there that are lentil and other legume based types that are pretty tasty and are in most supermarkets.

Last edited:
"big differences between whole food plant or whole food Meat is the toilet time after you have adapted, on plant base a lot more waste, farting a lot and tended to be more bloated after meals, also felt hungry more and eat more often through the day and still lost weight. "

Currently reading How Not to Diet, which he is a plant based advocate, and a lot of what is being talked about is around that basically you are eating in general low calorie high density (if you are WFPT) so wil be eating way more food and in particular fibre which changes how much the body can absorb as well.

I have been plant based 4 years now and have to be honest dont find that I fart too much, but do have to toilet 3-4 times a day pretty regulary, that's eating around 50-70g of fibre a day. Main thing find though is my crap doesnt smell anyway near as bad as back when was eating meat.

Would be worried about the long term effect of carnivore diet know Jordan Peterson and his daughter have seen benefits short term, as in essence its an elimination diet, but medium to long term blood work etc especially with the lack of fibre and what it may be doing to the microbiom, heart diesease etc etc. My main reason for going plant based is down to what I see as the long term health and longevity benefits from it, as well as some of the factory farming and me realising thst was eating few hundred chickens a year which clearly isnt sustainable for anyone who has kept chickens in the past would need a huge flock just for me.

My partner eats meat but I buy stuff from her from the local butcher who only gets local food in from generally good sources, but even round the north east there are zero grazing herds of cows etc producing meat.

A lot of the trouble with fertilisers etc as well though comes down to monocropping and the fact that a lot of food is grown as animal feed, soy production for example 60-70% depending on what figure you beleive is fed to animals. Bigger worry there as well really is the antibiotics being added and absorbed by humans and effect in the future this may have. Soil quality is going to be a big issue in some countries, along with water access, over the next 50 years or so.

Be interesting to do eliminbation diet the other way, replace potato with sweet potatoes, swap pasta for maybe older grains like Quinoa etc or even the non wheat based pastas, theres some really good ones out there that are lentil and other legume based types that are pretty tasty and are in most supermarkets.

I'm largely plant based but neither vegan nor vegetarian. I probably eat meat 10 times a year (I haven't at all this year yet) and very little dairy, but I do eat a lot of eggs.

Last Christmas I ate a lot of meat in a short space of time and my farts and toilet behaviours were absolutely nasty - I can't say it was from protein because I eat loads of it in legumes and lentils every day usually. These absolutely lifting farts is what has put me off eating meat more if nothing else. Day to day I could compete for Britain in the Toilet Olympics - 3-4 shits a day is fairly normal - but (speaking freely) it just shoots out and isn't half as horrible.

Anyway! :lol:

Back