Carlisle as a place to live?

It smells of biscuits apparently (which I guess isn't that bad).

Mark Steel did one of his "Mark Steel's in Town" episodes from there; it was very funny. I would highly recommend any of his podcasts which can be found here.

Decent away game.
Mind you this coming season early February thus could be touch and go.
Looks alright and plenty of worse places I know.
Few decent pubs and ales........bit remote like.

I'd advise against moving there, you'll be washed away by the rising sea level before you get to witness the great revolt.

As far as the people go, I've found them to be good humoured and helpful with an average bellend ratio.

I'd advise against moving there, you'll be washed away by the rising sea level before you get to witness the great revolt.

As far as the people go, I've found them to be good humoured and helpful with an average bellend ratio.

Great links into the inland North though where I'll be running Nazi camps for youths. :lol:

I lived in Wigton for a few years which is south of Carlisle and is OK
Carlisle is fine like any town areas to avoid and some nice areas I would happily live there to be honest
Travel links are great and some good pubs/ shops
Caldbeck is near there and is a great little town

Only been twice. Once in mid 70s and once early 80s so cant help whatsoever but you can get a helluva speed up on the long straight stretches when you’re avoiding it via longtown and the military base on your way too or from Scotland.
The hairy bikers did a beer/pub architecture related show a few months back about Carlisle which was probably the only thing of theres I’ve seen that I liked. May be available on catch up.

Nice enough place - a bit insular. You can get to Glasgow via train for a proper night out!

The villages outside are nicer than the city itself.

It’s really just a town, but qualifies thanks to its cathedral

Only been for the football and tended to avoid the town centre because of a warning about the locals being a bit dodgy, went to a pub on the outskirts (possibly Brampton? was ages ago when we played them in a cup replay think Howey scored?) and it was full of big farm lads who all had ruddy faces and looked like each other but weren't officially related, was quite surreal tbh.

Stay away from near the river with the flooding risk. City centre nee worse than Sunlun and a couple of decent pubs. Micro breweries in area anarl for decent ale. I would go for one of the nice villages on outskirts of it especially one with good access to M6 or A6. Train options decent, new bypass coming, improvements to airport services and new Garden Village development means it should continue to attract. Handy for Lakes, borders and coast for days out while easý enough to do a match day or home visit

Doesn't look bad at all, has retained some of it's old architecture but like most British cities they tend to look a bit samey with all the same chains etc.

Would like to hear from someone who lives there or has lived there.

Didn’t live there but worked there for a few years. Really liked the place. Was considering moving but ended up getting a job in the north east instead.

The villages surrounding it are very nice and certainly worth looking at in terms of value for money. Nearer the city centre is more prone to flooding.

Nice enough place - a bit insular. You can get to Glasgow via train for a proper night out!

The villages outside are nicer than the city itself.

It’s really just a town, but qualifies thanks to its cathedral
Lived in the area all my life apart from a few years in the north east a long time ago.
If you can afford it look at places like wetheral lovely village good access to motorway got nice pubs train station.
Expensive houses but better than being in the town imho.
Plenty of places in Carlisle best avoided but I think that's the case everywhere

Doesn't look bad at all, has retained some of it's old architecture but like most British cities they tend to look a bit samey with all the same chains etc.

Would like to hear from someone who lives there or has lived there.

Lived there for six years in my teens. Not a bad city but a bit insular and hillbilly. The city centre is nice enough like, decent enough shops and pubs.

There's a high ratio of ugly people there and a distinct lack of quality looking women imo. A couple of my closest friends are from Carlisle but they moved away. Like many Northern places the majority of people are friendly with good crack but there's a sizeable minority of bellends who haven't been anywhere else. Everyone seems to support anyone but Carlisle Utd.

Wetheral (sp) just outside Carlisle is a beautiful village though. Dalston isn't too bad either.

In Carlisle, The Stanwix area is the nicest area imo. Nice estates with a few nice pubs nearby.

Back