Carling lager weaker than advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) I fill in our tax duty form and write the cheques.
B) I don't work for Stella but I'd guess it's to save on tax, 5% or more is more expensive than 4.8. For our 9gallon casks we pay £9.64 tax for 3.8-4.3% ales.

Sorry but that's all wrong. They'd pay the same tax on 3.7 than they would on 4, plus no money will be saved at all on time, ingredients yes but barely noticeable.

Funny cos the owner of the durham brewery says otherwise & cant find anything in hmrc guidlines to backup your claims.

The more unscrupulous landlords/club stewards know that there is a certain amount of water you can put into a barrel/vat before the overall gravity changes enough to attract attention during a 'weights and measures' check.

Makes you wonder exactly what strength some of the pints of Carling are that are being served in such establishments.

The more unscrupulous landlords/club stewards know that there is a certain amount of water you can put into a barrel/vat before the overall gravity changes enough to attract attention during a 'weights and measures' check.

Makes you wonder exactly what strength some of the pints of Carling are that are being served in such establishments.
When I was a forensic scientist we were involved in a few cases of watered down beer.

Our conclusion was that it was nigh on impossible for the landlord to do it but very easy for the brewer to do it. Not that the CPS would ever go after them with their well paid lawyers and deep pockets. Instead they'd target the little landlord cos they assumed they wouldn't be able to afford to mount a defence.

When I was a forensic scientist we were involved in a few cases of watered down beer.

Our conclusion was that it was nigh on impossible for the landlord to do it but very easy for the brewer to do it. Not that the CPS would ever go after them with their well paid lawyers and deep pockets. Instead they'd target the little landlord cos they assumed they wouldn't be able to afford to mount a defence.

Ive done bar work & changed barrels over and cant see how you can water it down without breaking the barrel connection

Ive done bar work & changed barrels over and cant see how you can water it down without breaking the barrel connection
It used to be relatively easy to get a 'key' made to get access to barrels - you would need different types to get into the different types of barrels. For instance, Vaux barrels had different connections to S&N - I'm talking 30 plus years ago here. Things may be different now.

Plus, many Workingmens clubs used to have large vats into which the beer was pumped direct from the tankers - again it was relatively easy to add water once the beer was in the vat.

I remember my dad telling me of one club steward who added his usual amount of water to the vat before going on holiday only to be told on his return by the relief steward that he had also added the same amount - god knows what the beer tasted like.
Our conclusion was that it was nigh on impossible for the landlord to do it
Sorry, but it was common practice a few years ago to add water to the beer to get more profit out of each barrel. Done by the landlords and stewards, not the breweries.

It used to be relatively easy to get a 'key' made to get access to barrels - you would need different types to get into the different types of barrels. For instance, Vaux barrels had different connections to S&N - I'm talking 30 plus years ago here. Things may be different now.

Plus, many Workingmens clubs used to have large vats into which the beer was pumped direct from the tankers - again it was relatively easy to add water once the beer was in the vat.

I remember my dad telling me of one club steward who added his usual amount of water to the vat before going on holiday only to be told on his return by the relief steward that he had also added the same amount - god knows what the beer tasted like.

Sorry, but it was common practice a few years ago to add water to the beer to get more profit out of each barrel. Done by the landlords and stewards, not the breweries.
Never did a case involving a WMC only pubs, so your story isn't that relevant.

Exactly.

Ok, found the official government website, you pay tax to 4 decimal places on the strength!

Step Action
1 Total the quantity of beer expressed to 4 decimal places at each particular strength, which has passed the duty point in the accounting period.
2 Where necessary, convert the quantity to litres.
3 Divide litres by 100 to convert to hectolitres (hl), expressed to 2 decimal places.
4 Multiply the result by the strength of the beer to convert to hectolitre percent (hl%), expressed to 2 decimal places.
5 Add together all the hl% totals for the beers of different strengths.
6 Multiply the total hl% by the applicable duty rate to find the duty figure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ty/excise-notice-226-beer-duty--2#calc-of-abv

Section 7.7

@Slow joe
Ok, must be different for bigger companies, were a microbrewery and pay same rates up to 4.9% then it increases at 5%, hence our strongest ale being 4.3.

I cannot believe there is a thread where people are arguing over the pissyness of Carling.

It's well know that it's a shit cooking lager only suitable for taking to barbecues so you don't feel crap drinking the hosts Stella.

I'd rather put the kettle on and I don't like Tea that much

I cannot believe there is a thread where people are arguing over the pissyness of Carling.

It's well know that it's a shit cooking lager only suitable for taking to barbecues so you don't feel crap drinking the hosts Stella.
Take Stella?

Got a Lidl Belgium beer selection in the fridge
Lowest 7.8, highest 13 summit. Don't mind .5 out on those

Last edited:
minging lager Carling wadnt wash me dog in it. I have been drinking that Reibacher stuff from Aldi lately and its very nice also only £2.99 for 4 well cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back