Carl Winchester

We should get McCarthy to scout for us while he’s unemployed but tell him to only look at players will cost next to nowt, his record with big signings was piss poor but the likes of Collins, Breen, Caldwell, Whiehead, Lawrence, Elliott and even Whitley all did a good job and cost buttons.
A decent left field shout that, and Im with you on the rest of your list Scorer but WHITLEY. Really? Even at the time I hated him playing for us. He just seemed to shuffle across into space all the time. Cant remember him positively affecting a game ever.

Of course it’s possible (Keith andrews and grant holt are the two similar examples I’ve seen).

I’m not bed wetting, actually quite looking forward to seeing him for the first time. I’m absolutely sceptical though, I think that’s understandable. It’s a football forum where we’re discussing stuff, different opinions are ok. Not saying mine is right.

Not having a go at you was more of a general comment. Im not saying mine is right either but I just reckon that we should see what hes like before writing him off which a few have. He might be terrible for all I know but I'd literally never heard of the lad before last week so I am not going to pretend I know anything about him before I see him play. Sceptical yes but some are just point blank writing him and the club off for making the signing

The thing is, even if he is all those things, it doesnt address any of the problems in the team.

He said he highlighted our weaknesses, well this signing doesnt address any of them.

Nothing against the lad, sure he will be fine, but we have limited funds and wages, and our first signing is not anything of what we desperatly need

we need pace, athletisim and then creativity

just a tidy centre mid isnt what we needed.

It really is bizarre like how manager after manager will not sign any big, mobile, quick players

its almost like they are doing it on purpose, I cant get me head round it
Who’s to say those signings won’t follow.

The thing is, even if he is all those things, it doesnt address any of the problems in the team.

He said he highlighted our weaknesses, well this signing doesnt address any of them.

Nothing against the lad, sure he will be fine, but we have limited funds and wages, and our first signing is not anything of what we desperatly need

we need pace, athletisim and then creativity

just a tidy centre mid isnt what we needed.

It really is bizarre like how manager after manager will not sign any big, mobile, quick players

its almost like they are doing it on purpose, I cant get me head round it
Because they already play at a higher level, or they are crap at actually playing football. See Usain Bolt.

The SMB loves to think it's easy to sign players with loads of desirable attributes like no one else wants to sign them as well.

Because they already play at a higher level, or they are crap at actually playing football. See Usain Bolt.

The SMB loves to think it's easy to sign players with loads of desirable attributes like no one else wants to sign them as well.

Nonsense

Just off the top of my head thr lad hull had, wilks

Lacks quality but an absolute handful

Coventry went up with pace n power

It’s not hard
Who’s to say those signings won’t follow.

Sorry but how can you still have blind faith

Nonsense

It’s not hard

Unbelievable. You call my post nonsense, then suggest someone and in the same sentence say he "lacks quality". Proves my point.

It is hard or everyone would be doing it wouldn't they.

In league one players either have pace and power or ability, usually not both. The odd exception does not stay at this level very long (Ivan Toney)

A decent left field shout that, and Im with you on the rest of your list Scorer but WHITLEY. Really? Even at the time I hated him playing for us. He just seemed to shuffle across into space all the time. Cant remember him positively affecting a game ever.
Scored with a sliding tackle though

Not having a go at you was more of a general comment. Im not saying mine is right either but I just reckon that we should see what hes like before writing him off which a few have. He might be terrible for all I know but I'd literally never heard of the lad before last week so I am not going to pretend I know anything about him before I see him play. Sceptical yes but some are just point blank writing him and the club off for making the signing

No one's written him off though. Being critical of a signing isn't writing someone off.

Unbelievable. You call my post nonsense, then suggest someone and in the same sentence say he "lacks quality". Proves my point.

It is hard or everyone would be doing it wouldn't they.

In league one players either have pace and power or ability, usually not both. The odd exception does not stay at this level very long (Ivan Toney)

Haha ffs

Everyone lacks quality at this level man

Constantly signing slow players doesn’t get you promoted

It’s almost like you’ve never seen us play

It’s absolutely unbelievable that a Sunderland fan can still think this

A team has never needed physicality in it more than ours

Haha ffs

Everyone lacks quality at this level man

Constantly signing slow players doesn’t get you promoted

It’s almost like you’ve never seen us play

It’s absolutely unbelievable that a Sunderland fan can still think this

A team has never needed physicality in it more than ours
I never said I don't think we need it, I just don't think it is easy to get as people make out.

Yes everyone lacks quality at this level, but if a player was 6 inches taller than Scowen, and faster, and same abilty, he wouldn't be in league one. That is my point. You have to trade off something in our level. Sadly.

I never said I don't think we need it, I just don't think it is easy to get as people make out.

Yes everyone lacks quality at this level, but if a player was 6 inches taller than Scowen, and faster, and same abilty, he wouldn't be in league one. That is my point. You have to trade off something in our level. Sadly.

I think to say you cant get players as good as we have but bigger and quicker, is disingenuous.

They do exist, and have played and been promoted with teams in this league many times.

My point is, nothing against winchester, but he doesnt fix any of our weaknesses

is he going to be head and shoulders above Power and Scowen? I'd say thats unlikely.

If he is just like 1% better, then for me thats still not good enough as the team still has the same weaknesses.

Put him on ignore mate, the boards are a lot better and less chance of being reported when you disagree with him.
Who's this bloke we've signed from Winchester?
Ronnie Pickering

Put him on ignore mate, the boards are a lot better and less chance of being reported when you disagree with him.

God you're absolutely obsessed with me

A grown man sat in his bedroom replying to every post by someone on a message board you've never met :lol:

we are having a grown up conversation, leave the adults to it.

I think to say you cant get players as good as we have but bigger and quicker, is disingenuous.

They do exist, and have played and been promoted with teams in this league many times.

My point is, nothing against winchester, but he doesnt fix any of our weaknesses

is he going to be head and shoulders above Power and Scowen? I'd say thats unlikely.

If he is just like 1% better, then for me thats still not good enough as the team still has the same weaknesses.
We can agree to disagree I guess.

You named Wilks who is mediocre, no better than Gooch in my opinion.

Enobokhare looked handy at this level but is seemingly a bad character. Can't think of many others that are realistic?

Yes I agree they do exist with good transfer and scouring policies, but it isn't easy. Hopefully with better scouting and data analytics we get better at it.

We can agree to disagree I guess.

You named Wilks who is mediocre, no better than Gooch in my opinion.

Enobokhare looked handy at this level but is seemingly a bad character. Can't think of many others that are realistic?

Yes I agree they do exist with good transfer and scouring policies, but it isn't easy. Hopefully with better scouting and data analytics we get better at it.

I'd say someone like Wilks would be an absolute handful though and push teams back, and he is young enough to improve other aspects of his game. He is just an example. Players who are rough around the edges but have raw attributes. We just seemingly sign the same type, I dont think the problem in our squad has been any one player, its just that they are all so similar. Its been the issue since Jack Ross.

Nonsense

It’s not hard

If Wilks was a better player he would have buried us the other night

Back