Care Homes to Blame

Not necessarily, but it is the governments responsibility to ensure there is enough PPE to go around, by planning ahead during a pandemic that they had 2/3 months head start over. Look into the contracts they turned down, they ignored plenty of offers to help and it resulted in catastrophic numbers of deaths. The lack of PPE resulted in the only PPE left, being extremely overpriced.

why didn't the private health care homes not plan ahead?

Some Care Homes appear to have managed, they locked down early and had staff live in without Government advice.

I keep seeing ‘some’ seemed to have managed. I’d love to know how many ‘some’ is.
They did, most locked down before the government even told them to, infact while people were still going to Cheltenham and football matches. Imagine how much worse if they’d waited for the government to tell them to eh?
Im still intrigued how so many were able to procure PPE and especially access testing when it just wasn’t available.
Its great for those in a position where staff could live in, but I suspect that was the minority, and if it wasn’t possible does that mean those that couldn’t do that are to blame? Because, in a way thats what it implies
It also still doesnt justify or explain people being discharged without tests?
And it still doesn’t excuse Johnson blaming care homes for people dying.

Is it the government responsibility to ensure private care home has sufficient PPE? Serious questions as I have no idea. I would have thought with it being a private business they should have responsibility to sort it. Like I say i have no idea
In usual times it probably is yes, but the problem is there was none available, so it’s easy to say private care homes charge whatever, ( believe me know they do, I am responsible for making sure my Aunties are paid every month), and so owners should have bought it but it wasn’t available to buy.

exactly, Janey's tweet about the ambulance being parked outside the care home with a patient in and the ensuing stand off just sums everything they were facing at the time

There were definitely points to clarify in the guidance, but I have every sympathy with both hospitals and care homes.

A positive but fit to discharge CH resident is potentially blocking a bed that might be used for someone who needs hospital treatment, but if the CH can’t ensure they can isolate them, where do they go? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Do you run a private care home? Do you understand the costs to run a private care home? Do you understand how hard it was to come across PPE at reasonable prices during the height of the pandemic and still right now? Because if you don't, you should keep your mouth shut.

No he doesn’t, but his imaginary friend does and says Boris is a straight-up, cracking chap and is in no way to blame for anything bad that’s ever happened to anyone or anything, anywhere.

You really think homes hadnt considered buying PPE?

Do you know how hard it was for them to source it?

Not disputing that but it shouldn't be up to the government/public to fund/supply private care homes. They charge a premium price and need to accept some responsibility
Why didn’t the government

I agree but likewise the private care homes should have also. The public purse shouldn't hold that responsibility
The company I work for is in between private/public and aim to only break even. This leaves no room to be able to buy extra equipment without more funding being made available by the government. You will already know that the extra funding was not available to do this.

Am sorry but it shouldn't be up to the government to top up/fund private care homes. That's not fair on the tax payer

Last edited:
Not necessarily, but it is the governments responsibility to ensure there is enough PPE to go around, by planning ahead during a pandemic that they had 2/3 months head start over. Look into the contracts they turned down, they ignored plenty of offers to help and it resulted in catastrophic numbers of deaths. The lack of PPE resulted in the only PPE left, being extremely overpriced.

Not to mention the advice given in reports following several worldwide-pandemic related tactical exercises that were carried out in the years prior.

Which they continuously ignored and in many cases actively went in the opposite direction.

The key word I read there is 'some'. Some care homes found it it harder than others to source PPE. Some care homes closed their doors before lockdown to visitors before government advice but a lot who followed government advice were not as lucky as it was too late.

I started working from home and not going to pubs etc before the lockdown it was obvious.

Not disputing that but it shouldn't be up to the government/public to fund/supply private care homes. They charge a premium price and need to accept some responsibility

I agree but likewise the private care homes should have also. The public purse shouldn't hold that responsibility

Am sorry but it shouldn't be up to the government to top up/fund private care homes. That's not fair on the tax payer
My company isn't strictly private. It separated from the council. The council has a legal obligation to provide services. The trouble is, year on year the funding has been cut by the government. Year on year they say to councils "we are cutting 10% from your budget for this service". The council tell our company to make 10% cuts annually. After a decade of this services are threadbare and have no wriggle room and something like this blows it all up. And then we see the government blaming the providers.

Back