Car Warranty - Evans Halshaw's, or should I buy an independent?

Car is £11k, a ford, 6 years old, 30k miles.
Price for the 2 yr warranty is about £475 from the dealers.

Anyone know owt about this kind of stuff?
Bought something similar from Arnold Clarke a few years back.
10 Plate Zafira bought in late 2012. Normal warranty expired Sept 2013, bought the extended on to Sept 2015
In Oct 2015, the whole transmission needed re-engineering as there was a fault with the bearings
The warranty covered it (after a bit of back and forth between the dealer and the insurance company)
Saved me a £2k bill

Bought something similar from Arnold Clarke a few years back.
10 Plate Zafira bought in late 2012. Normal warranty expired Sept 2013, bought the extended on to Sept 2015
In Oct 2015, the whole transmission needed re-engineering as there was a fault with the bearings
The warranty covered it (after a bit of back and forth between the dealer and the insurance company)
Saved me a £2k bill
This is it, an aftermarket warranty will generally always knock a repair back first time in the hope people won’t challenge it.

In my experience, if it’s a manufacturing or material defect, it’s covered.

Thank you, really appreciate that.

A 4 year old, and twins on the way. Need something that can take 3 proper child seats, and room in the back for a double pram.

But don't have 3 proper seats in their back/middle row.

Six grand more though!
I've got about £5k's worth of Fiesta to trade in, so I'm spending about £6-7k. I did look at a 2015 model, but they are around the £15k range, and that's £10k in cash to spend, which I really don't fancy doing.

How will I afford my £8k disney holidays if I spend it all on cars for the wife??? ;)
Here are some more cars with 3 proper seats in the back.
Cars with three separate rear seats | carwow

From my experience Evans Hallshaw warranty was excellent. I had loads of bother with various things but they honoured the lot. I'd recommend
Thanks mate.

Here are some more cars with 3 proper seats in the back.
Cars with three separate rear seats | carwow
Thanks. I'd looked at the majority if them already.
The S-Max was about the only "car looking" one out of them. The rest are SUVs or vans really (which the missus doesn't want, and its going to be hers). Didn't know about the Prius+ mind, but a bit late in the day now since we've signed the paperwork on this Smax.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'll ever step foot into any Evans Halshaw dealership again. My experience with them was abysmal.
tbh, I hate about 80% of my dealings with all car dealers. There's something about it that's so confrontational. I really hate it.

Even though the lad seemed canny, its just the levels of crap they "have to do" that's so frustrating.

tbh, I hate about 80% of my dealings with all car dealers. There's something about it that's so confrontational. I really hate it.

Even though the lad seemed canny, its just the levels of crap they "have to do" that's so frustrating.

I tried for an hour to buy a car from Evans Halshaw once, the car I'd found was at a decent price and I'd seen a few.

I thought, basically I'll have it before I went in. Found the car, found the lad and we sat down.
He looked about 18 wearing his dads shirt with about as much life experience as a mayfly.

Then the crap started with all the warranties etc, I cut him off on each speech but it still went on an hour.

At the end of it I said "Look fella, I'll take the car for the screen price as long as you put new rear tyres on it, a full tank of diesel and a years tax"

Nope, the rear tyres are 2.5 mm and as the limit is 2 mm they don't need replacing and if I want fuel and tax I'd have to pay for them, was the answer.
I argued for ten minutes and he even showed me the gauge he used to confirm his tread depth readings.

Then I noticed the bloke on the next table having the same argument and the fact they wouldn't do a deal and were constantly trying to justify and add on crap that wasn't needed. The bloke on the next table then jumped up and said "I really don't know how you sell anything in this place" and started to walk out past me. "Hold up pal, I said, I coming out with you"

We both left.

I tried for an hour to buy a car from Evans Halshaw once, the car I'd found was at a decent price and I'd seen a few.

I thought, basically I'll have it before I went in. Found the car, found the lad and we sat down.
He looked about 18 wearing his dads shirt with about as much life experience as a mayfly.

Then the crap started with all the warranties etc, I cut him off on each speech but it still went on an hour.

At the end of it I said "Look fella, I'll take the car for the screen price as long as you put new rear tyres on it, a full tank of diesel and a years tax"

Nope, the rear tyres are 2.5 mm and as the limit is 2 mm they don't need replacing and if I want fuel and tax I'd have to pay for them, was the answer.
I argued for ten minutes and he even showed me the gauge he used to confirm his tread depth readings.

Then I noticed the bloke on the next table having the same argument and the fact they wouldn't do a deal and were constantly trying to justify and add on crap that wasn't needed. The bloke on the next table then jumped up and said "I really don't know how you sell anything in this place" and started to walk out past me. "Hold up pal, I said, I coming out with you"

We both left.
The thing with these huge PLC’s now, there’s very little, if any negotiation in price on a used. All are price protected and they’ll guarantee it’s the cheapest.

So it’s more difficult to get something for nowt.

Dirty diesel!
Boooooooooo!!
Aye. tbh, I'd have been just as happy with their Ecoboost Petrol version, but they are quite rare. 15mpg worse too.

Cleaner euro 6 diesel hooray
Only the facelift 2015+ models. The one I'm getting is Euro5

I really wanted to get a Euro6 one (and because the facelift is just better overall, especially the ICE). But there's a £4000 jump in price from the newest old model to the oldest new model (i.e. 1 day) that I just don't want to spend.

Only the facelift 2015+ models. The one I'm getting is Euro5

I really wanted to get a Euro6 one (and because the facelift is just better overall, especially the ICE). But there's a £4000 jump in price from the newest old model to the oldest new model (i.e. 1 day) that I just don't want to spend.
Pay the extra £6k for the two year old Euro 6 one. At least it'll hold value better...

Aye. tbh, I'd have been just as happy with their Ecoboost Petrol version, but they are quite rare. 15mpg worse too

Got down to Wembley on 20 litres of fuel in my Diesel car, didn't have to fear the low emission zones either.

Last edited:

Back