Car problem advice needed : bmw 1 series cam chain

Aye but the burden of proof is yours in that situation. So you need to prove it was there from the start. That is the difficult part.

I’d be civil at first and see if they’ll chuck something towards it, plus the warranty chuck their bit. If they have their own workshop they might do it at cost with no labour or something.

Only go down the route of quoting SoG if they don’t play ball. You can pay to get the oil tested too (check SAE rating etc.) which could help with that proof.

Think its still garage responsibility as only had it for 10 weeks, isn't it?

During the first six months after purchase, it's the responsibility of the seller to prove the fault wasn't there, not for you to prove that it was.

But after the first six months, the onus will be on you to prove that the fault was present from the day you bought the car.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you're entitled to a refund.

But the car dealer can make a deduction from the refund after the first 30 days for 'fair use'.

Think its still garage responsibility as only had it for 10 weeks, isn't it?

During the first six months after purchase, it's the responsibility of the seller to prove the fault wasn't there, not for you to prove that it was.

But after the first six months, the onus will be on you to prove that the fault was present from the day you bought the car.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you're entitled to a refund.

But the car dealer can make a deduction from the refund after the first 30 days for 'fair use'.

Sadly it's not as cut and dry as that in the real world mate. Hope it works out canny for you and the lad but I'd be expecting a fight at the very least. Good luck.

Sadly it's not as cut and dry as that in the real world mate. Hope it works out canny for you and the lad but I'd be expecting a fight at the very least. Good luck.

Thanks I don't mind meeting them halfway to be honest as it seems this isn't something they would really have known about, reading comments.

Thanks for this - when we bought it we were given 3 months warranty and when I explained he would hardly be driving it until his test in Feb 19, we agreed 6 months. I actually asked at time about cam belt (as its high mileage diesel) but he said "its a cam chain and they don't need replacing".
Has it been regularly serviced? If not that could be the source of the problem. ie not enough oil changes.

If I had to sort that clusterfuck out myself with no help from the garage, I’d drop an engine in from a write off. It’s quicker, easier and almost invariably much cheaper than an extensive rebuild.

There’s not many used cars out there I’d spunk 3k on an engine repair.

If I had to sort that clusterfuck out myself with no help from the garage, I’d drop an engine in from a write off. It’s quicker, easier and almost invariably much cheaper than an extensive rebuild.

There’s not many used cars out there I’d spunk 3k on an engine repair.
I did that for a friend whose belt snapped and ruined the engine. Found one on ebay £600 with 13,000 on the clock, one out, one in not too difficult at the time, I was 64 then and didn’t do the humping.

Updated - garage phone me and all ready to fight my corner based on info from here..and he says no problem they will cover all costs as obvious not my sons problem He also mentioned the sale of goods act before I even had to

Thanks for advice everyone- hope it’s useful for others as well

Alls well that ends well. Good stuff.

Updated - garage phone me and all ready to fight my corner based on info from here..and he says no problem they will cover all costs as obvious not my sons problem He also mentioned the sale of goods act before I even had to

Chuffed for both of you mate, cracking outcome.

Brilliant result that. Who’s the garage, they sound like good eggs?

Last edited:

That is a turn up for the books, can’t beat good customer service.

What's the betting the owner posts on here as well and knew he was in the shit?

Aye but is he going to sort out the indicators on it as well?

Back