Car / mechanic advice - ripped off?

Is £250 to replace an alternator not a bit high?
Yep
I’ve found generally motor repairs take the piss
They take your vehicle then say they’ll be in touch ( much later in the day ) oh we advise this is done at x amount £
Very few are fair & true
Rubbish, there's very few rich mechanics and garage owners
Dealers maybe
I know established garages open all hours ,they live in ex council houses and drive around in 10 year old cars

Last edited:
Lass at work took her car into a garage yesterday as it kept going dead. The garage replaced the alternator and charged her £250 for the work. Anyway, she's went to come to work today and it's been dead again so she's jumped it and took it to the garage who have called her through today saying it's the battery and it will be £60 for a new one fitted.

She's clearly been had here, should she be going to the garage and paying them for the battery but demanding they put the old alternator back on and refund her the £250? Or should she just be refusing to pay for the battery and cutting her losses?

I'd be inclined to go for the first option as it's pretty easy (99% of the time) to diagnose a battery / alternator fault.
First check by the garage should have been the battery condition. Second loose connections, then the alternator condition and earths..

Back