Car Insurance

SHEEPSKINBOOTS

Central Defender
Have had my son (23) on my insurance as a named driver for 1 year. He has only been driving for 13 months (put him on mine as a new driver) and i am going to look at his own insurance on his own car so he can start accumulating No Claims Bonus on his policy. Any tips to keep the premium down? Does putting an experienced named driver on it help? So far can not find anything under £1100 ish. Does that sound about right ,its a ford c-max.

Aye, putting yourself on as a named driver should help.
Have a play around with job titles if what he does could be described as more than 1 thing.

Have had my son (23) on my insurance as a named driver for 1 year. He has only been driving for 13 months (put him on mine as a new driver) and i am going to look at his own insurance on his own car so he can start accumulating No Claims Bonus on his policy. Any tips to keep the premium down? Does putting an experienced named driver on it help? So far can not find anything under £1100 ish. Does that sound about right ,its a ford c-max.
My son puts both me and the wife as other drivers on his policy - it’s surprisingly cheaper than on his own.
He’s 24 and pays £500 pa on a Merc A Class 14 plate - building up his NC since he started driving at 17.
I clean and polish the car and borrow it , tooting my horn and playing grime as I wink at mini skirted ladies.

Yeah sometimes putting an experienced driver does bring the cost down. Play around with it but make sure that you dont play enough so that if anything happens they will actually pay out such as telling them it will be in a garage or not.
Does he want a private reg? That can bring cost down a little. It did for mine as it made the car more identifiable if it was stolen

Sounds similar to when I passed about eight years ago.
Was over a grand for just me then down to about £700 by adding named drivers.

After that the biggest drops are for each year you've held a licence (rather than age), ncb or not.

Last edited:
Personally think no claims bonus is nonsense as they ask you if you’ve had an accident. I think they just look at age, time you’ve been driving and car type. Maybe a handful of other things like where you live.

I was changing home insurance and the insurer I was leaving said I’d lose my no claims bonus with them, but they were about 30% more expensive, great bonus!

Get an advanced driving qualification.

Get a black box.

Keep the mileage as realistically low as possible.

Park it off the street if possible.

Add an additional driver.

No modifications.

I know £1100 is a lot of money but that sounds quite reasonable compared to some of the numbers you hear talked about.

Get an advanced driving qualification.

Get a black box.

Keep the mileage as realistically low as possible.

Park it off the street if possible.

Add an additional driver.

No modifications.

I know £1100 is a lot of money but that sounds quite reasonable compared to some of the numbers you hear talked about.
Do not get a black box under any circumstances

I use Quidco compare which can get you some cashback if you then take a policy out.

this year I’m with Hastings direct for £175, with £30 of that coming back via Quidco.

just over £70 each for me and the mrs.

I’ve never had to have one. Too old for that crap.

They lower your premium but I assume the restrictions aren’t worth it?
No chance, I think you get x amount of chances to go over the speed limit and it also penalises you for late braking etc. It’s personal choice but I’d rather pay more and drive how I like.

Is it just me that thinks car insurance, even for low risk drivers and low risk cars, is getting outrageous?

It is, but its about risk.
Someone fairly young who hasn't passed their test that long ago is high risk
Unfortunately you just have to bight the bullet for a couple of years with high premiums

Tidied thanks everyone for the input, saved a couple of hundred plus (pro rata) through various means without being naughty. Admiral were doing a 10 month "accelerator" policy which if my son is accident free he can renew after that 10 month period he gets his first 30% no claims bonus.Then start a standard 12 month policy from his renewal date.No black box required either.Everyone is happy .Cheers.

Back