Car insurance

Ghfd

Winger
That time again for me. I usually use Quidco so I get a money back deal and it works out around £200 for a year

what do you do for car insurance, online search, calling companies or as I do?

The compare-sites usually get you the best deal. Use it to squeeze your current company as it will save the the CAC and ask for an appropriate discount (usually around a 100 quid for a normal car)

The compare-sites usually get you the best deal. Use it to squeeze your current company as it will save the the CAC and ask for an appropriate discount (usually around a 100 quid for a normal car)
Reminds me when I did the ring around about 20 years back. One company said that they would definitely beat a previous quote. Ok I said if it’s cheaper I’ll go with you. I told them what my current quote was. They came back to me with a cheaper one...£1 cheaper. I declined their services.

I see what offer them come.up with the following year..
If higher I phone them and nearly always they will knock it down to previous years premium

Last year I did a direct line one and they wanted 100 quid extra for the year. Phones them and it came down to 20 quid less than previous year.

If no movement I tell them to swivel and move on

Last edited:
few comparison sites, over various and multiple cars over the last few years I usually find esure are the cheapest if you don't have any claims

few comparison sites, over various and multiple cars over the last few years I usually find esure are the cheapest if you don't have any claims
No claims for 20 odd years. I’ve found also registering the mrs (no) as the second driver helps to reduce the premiums as well. She has 20 odd years of no claims as well

No claims for 20 odd years. I’ve found also registering the mrs (no) as the second driver helps to reduce the premiums as well. She has 20 odd years of no claims as well
yep agree, but can also confirm they were excellent at dealing with Mrs P (def no) claim about 7-8 years ago when she wrote her car off - although they wouldn't insure her for another 3 years after that, they were brilliant with the claim and providing legal support through the court process (settled knock for knock in the end)

I was royally done by the one I'm with right now for simply changing my car over from a Panda to a Punto. Both 1.2 and they doubled my payments from £26 to £52.
How about that?
Is that punishment for me owning two fiats. :lol:

£15 change over as well in with that monthly added extra.
I was asked if I want to go ahead. I said, surely you can't be serious (McEnroe moment). They said, it's what your broker has down.
I asked them to justify it and they simply said it's my broker and I can cancel but it'll cost me and I'll lose my no claims.

Talk about over a barrel.
Now this was a while ago and I was in a predicament due to a family member being in long term hospital and I needed the car to ensure we regularly got there.

I should've just cancelled it but...well.
I'm just waiting for my renewal to come through and they're getting a good earful....not that they give a flying fluke.

Anyone clued up on what I should say to them when my renewal is due? I mean in terms of taking them to task on what they did, because that was daylight robbery.

I was royally done by the one I'm with right now for simply changing my car over from a Panda to a Punto. Both 1.2 and they doubled my payments from £26 to £52.
How about that?

I was asked if I want to go ahead. I said, surely you can't be serious (McEnroe moment). They said, it's what your broker has down.
I asked them to justify it and they simply said it's my broker and I can cancel but it'll cost me and I'll lose my no claims.

Now this was a while ago and I was in a predicament due to a family member being in long term hospital and I needed the car to ensure we regularly got there.

I'm just waiting for my renewal to come through and they're getting a good earful....not that they give a flying fluke.

Anyone clued up on what I should say to them when my renewal is due? I mean in terms of taking them to task on what they did, because that was daylight robbery.
They didn’t have a gun to your head and it was your decision to accept. Nothing you can do.

Reminds me when I did the ring around about 20 years back. One company said that they would definitely beat a previous quote. Ok I said if it’s cheaper I’ll go with you. I told them what my current quote was. They came back to me with a cheaper one...£1 cheaper. I declined their services.

The exact same thing happened to me I did the exact same thing as you, pissed me off I wasted time f***ing about for a quid.😡

I alternate between Direct Line and Aviva as I've got other policies with both so I get a bit of discount. I've never had any joy getting Direct Line to reduce their quote.

Combination of ringing my current insurer asking what they're playing at and using comparison sites. Always found the likes of Direct Line sky high so I've not bothered the last couple of times. Just a faff putting all my details in.

I use Quidco compare which got me a £40 refund on my final insurance price. Very handy for switching utilities supplier as well, got £60 back for that.

How about that?

Swinton?

Back