Car insurance question

Does anyone know if it matters if the policy holder is also the owner/registered keeper?

Does it make it more expensive if you aren't? I'm giving my old car to my girlfriend as I have a new one. Makes sense to insure her on it as main policy holder to continue her no claims, don't know whether to change the keeper to her too, or if no point as it may slightly devalue the car.

I don't think it makes any difference if you both live at the same address.

what will make a difference is who owns the NCD

Can you insure a car you do not own?
Yes - but you will have to tell the insurer you are not the owner or registered keeper when you apply.

Some insurers will only offer you cover as the main driver if you are also the registered keeper of the car. However many will insure you, so shop around and check the policy documents before you apply.

Quote the rest of it to maintain context.

Like this bit for example..............

It can cost more to get cover for a car you do not own because insurers may see you as a higher risk.

If you do not have a financial interest in the vehicle some companies assume you will take less care driving it, and therefore be more likely to make a claim.

Quote the rest of it to maintain context.

Like this bit for example..............

It can cost more to get cover for a car you do not own because insurers may see you as a higher risk.

If you do not have a financial interest in the vehicle some companies assume you will take less care driving it, and therefore be more likely to make a claim.
Yep the same as some companies wont insure younger drivers or it MAY cost more for certain risk factors. Not really much of a surprise when it comes to insurance. Lots of factors may make it more expensive

It actually cost me less for my car with lease company being RK (only by £5 but still)

Yep the same as some companies wont insure younger drivers or it MAY cost more for certain risk factors. Not really much of a surprise when it comes to insurance. Lots of factors may make it more expensive

It actually cost me less for my car with lease company being RK (only by £5 but still)

Because you enter into a contract with the Lease company to actually look after the car otherwise you'll have to pay them. Therefore you are less of a financial risk to the insurance company.

Historically it used to make a huge difference. I'd imagine it won't these days as there are so many lease cars on the road.

Because you enter into a contract with the Lease company to actually look after the car otherwise you'll have to pay them. Therefore you are less of a financial risk to the insurance company.
How does that make you less of a risk the insurance company by having to pay the lease company?

Conversely my previous lease was more expensive than if I was RK. Was i more of a risk with that one?

Historically it used to make a huge difference. I'd imagine it won't these days as there are so many lease cars on the road.
There used to be very few insurers who would touch lease cars but now its just another method of having a car so the majority will be happy. they even have the drop down on comparison sites for lease company

I knew the lease bit didn't make a difference as I've been doing this for years.

I'm interested in the answer as I might get my parents a car, which is mine in writing only. I'm suggesting to them it's to keep my insurance going but not really use (while I have something else which doesn't need me to insure it but that's a different story). It's more of a ruse to buy them a car without buying them a car - they're too proud for that.

MBO - you said 'completely different' and considerable difference' initially then quoted something that said 'can cost more''. I'm a bit confused which is correct.

I'm hoping AndrewP is right and they're moving with the times.

Your quote says the opposite of what you have just posted here. Can you just clarify as a leasee am i more or less of a risk to an insurer....

There used to be very few insurers who would touch lease cars but now its just another method of having a car so the majority will be happy. they even have the drop down on comparison sites for lease company

Aye. I remember having a lease back in 2002 and direct line insured me. I was limited.

I'm hoping AndrewP is right and they're moving with the times.
They must be mate, they're never going to ignore such a huge market.

I haven't worked in insurance for 15 years though.

Quick question on car insurance from myself instead of starting a new thread....

If I work for a company who's insurance covers all the employees to drive each others cars... would the policyholder be the company themselves rather than us individually?

Back