Car Hire Insurance for Expat

Hi all,

Will be in the UK again soon for a couple of weeks and sick and tired of paying the huge insurance premiums for my hire car.

Last time, Easyrent hit me with £300 for fully comp on a Skoda Octavia!

Any locals/expats with recommendations for me for an online booking before I hire the car?

Obviously, I’ll only have the class of car known to me before I get insurance and not the exact model or especially the registration.

I’ll be doing about 14 day rental.

I do still have an address in the UK and a valid UK licence although I’m now non-dom I believe (that’ll be my next thread soon)

Cheers in advance

Daz

You can get car hire insurance quotes on most compare websites now and much cheaper than at the hire places. I’d just do a quick google.
Most ones I see require car make/model or the Rev which I won’t have until I get to the rental place in Peterborough

I always thought your insurance was included in the hire price.
Unfortunately not. They rent the car at near to loss leader levels

Last edited:
There’s a place where you can get insurance against the excess - I used them in the past but cannot remember what it was, paid about 30 quid I think

Edit - I think it was travelsupermarket or something but a quick google suggests 40 quid or so for an annual policy and confused.com seem to have policies too

Last edited:
I've used ICarhireinsurance and directcarexcess before ... They're cover to cover your excess... Not vehicle specific and about £20 for the 2 weeks you'll need I reckon.

Never pay hire companies added rip off fee.

It's car hire excess insurance you want. I use insurance4carhire.com.

But check the policy wording as most bought here will specify you must be resident of UK.

You may be better off buying a worldwide policy in your own country.

Thanks for info regarding excess insurance.

Because I usually can’t be arsed to shop around I always just pay them when I pick up the car, but last time it took the piss.

Will do some shopping around tonight.

I have done a bit of digging on this as I am also after insurance, like @Bob Fleming says you have to be an EU resident for most of them - I am not so I would have had to lie which is always risky. A lot of digging found at least two who handle people who live anywhere rentalcover.com and worldwideinsure.com both of which offer policies to people who live anywhere. It costs a bit more than if you were a UK citizen but for peace of mind I ended up going to rentalcover.com and paid 60 quid for two weeks excess cover (would have been about 40 quid per year if I was an EU citizen)

Back