car detailing

Been wanting to get into car detailing for years, but never had the time. Not that I do now, but fuck it.

Just bought some decent washing products to get me started. Bilt Hamber snow foam, shampoo and wheel wash along with a polished bliss foam gun.

Of course, 10 replies will now come along to say why I've bought the wrong stuff :lol:

Been wanting to get into car detailing for years, but never had the time. Not that I do now, but fuck it.

Just bought some decent washing products to get me started. Bilt Hamber snow foam, shampoo and wheel wash along with a polished bliss foam gun.

Of course, 10 replies will now come along to say why I've bought the wrong stuff :lol:

bilt hamber is a good snow foam that lots of people use

I have an autobrite foam lance that has been a great buy

just take care of you microfibre cloths and dont wash them with fabric conditioner

2 good deep buckets and a decent wash mitt and you are good to go

a quick detail spray puts a nice top shine and creates a nice hydrophobic layer, chemical guys hybrid v7 is canny and smells lush, sonax do an easy application one as well

just take care of you microfibre cloths and dont wash them with fabric conditioner
a quick detail spray puts a nice top shine and creates a nice hydrophobic layer, chemical guys hybrid v7 is canny and smells lush, sonax do an easy application one as well
I've got some decent wool mits, and some microfibre cloths and a decent car towel.
I just wash them in hot water without detergent at all - is that right?

I've also got a box full of other products that I picked up cheap. A few autoglym products which I'll probably try to use up before moving onto something better.

Although I'm hoping to get it clean enough to so a correction polish, and then get a ceramic coating on it. As that's the lowest maintenance way I can think of, which means I just need to wash it and get a great finish.

Completely new to this. Do you wax then use a detail spray like the v7 that you mention? Thanks.

Are these the same type of products as the v7?

G3 Pro 7193 Rapid Detailer, 500ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3G3V4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0HQzCbJPD0HZY

SONAX 287400 Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007O9CXHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bKQzCbCYQD3JZ

Thanks again.

Last edited:
on my last car I used a good carnuba wax once every couple months, then in between that just topped the car off with the quick detailer

you dont need to comprehensivley wax a car every wash

but theres lots of good products out there that are useful for frequent washed..something like autoglym aqua wax is cheap enough and easy enough to apply..it wont last weeks and weeks but its not bad for a quick wash

this one having gtechniq means the quick detailer is used on a quick wash...and every month I will top it up with Gtechniq liquid crystal

a lot of people like the sonax spray

on detailing world there is a thread now where they have started to mix some similar products!

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=378357

Last edited:

I use the Bilt Hamber gear, it's very good imo and the opinion of people who have tested alot of the different products available.

Bilt Hamber makes excellent stuff. I've used a fair few snow foams and theirs is the best. It's not the thickest but you can fair see it dragging the dirt off the car. I also use their wheel cleaner too.

Get yourself a clay mitt (I'd recommend the Farecla G3 one - you can pick this up at Halfords) and this with the appropriate lubrication (ooh er) will remove all the tar spots and other crap your paintwork has picked up. A decent polish and then some wax on top of that and you're all set. I use a quick detailer after a quick wash - Adams have some nice smelling ones. There are loads of products out there and you can spend a fortune - especially on waxes.

I'd also recommend getting some kneepads or something to kneel on when tackling lower parts of the car.

I use the Bilt Hamber gear, it's very good imo and the opinion of people who have tested alot of the different products available.
Bilt Hamber makes excellent stuff. I've used a fair few snow foams and theirs is the best. It's not the thickest but you can fair see it dragging the dirt off the car. I also use their wheel cleaner too.

Get yourself a clay mitt (I'd recommend the Farecla G3 one - you can pick this up at Halfords) and this with the appropriate lubrication (ooh er) will remove all the tar spots and other crap your paintwork has picked up. A decent polish and then some wax on top of that and you're all set. I use a quick detailer after a quick wash - Adams have some nice smelling ones. There are loads of products out there and you can spend a fortune - especially on waxes.

I'd also recommend getting some kneepads or something to kneel on when tackling lower parts of the car.
Cheers.
The 3 BH products and the snow foam lance came yesterday. I need to see if the lance fits my Wilks US jetwash as polished bliss didn't list this, but did say that another one of theirs would work (Kranzle)

Hoping to get a proper go at it all this weekend, as I've got nothing on (weekend off - much much needed after 3 weeks of hell!)

Cheers.
The 3 BH products and the snow foam lance came yesterday. I need to see if the lance fits my Wilks US jetwash as polished bliss didn't list this, but did say that another one of theirs would work (Kranzle)

Hoping to get a proper go at it all this weekend, as I've got nothing on (weekend off - much much needed after 3 weeks of hell!)

Good job you have nothing on as you can be out there all day at it. I foamed mine last Sunday, followed by a wash. It needed clayed, polished and waxed but I figured there wasn't enough hours in the day so have done the boot and the left hand side of it. That took me nearly 5 hours. My body was aching the next day. Hopefully get the other half of the car done this Sunday :D.

Good job you have nothing on as you can be out there all day at it. I foamed mine last Sunday, followed by a wash. It needed clayed, polished and waxed but I figured there wasn't enough hours in the day so have done the boot and the left hand side of it. That took me nearly 5 hours. My body was aching the next day. Hopefully get the other half of the car done this Sunday :D.
Just a snow foam, then a shampoo and dry is all its getting!

Still thinking about getting someone in to decon the paint, correction polish, and then put a ceramic on it.

Just a snow foam, then a shampoo and dry is all its getting!

Still thinking about getting someone in to decon the paint, correction polish, and then put a ceramic on it.

It's something you can do yourself but will cost time and money - and even more money if you make an arse of it. So it might be better to let the professionals do it. I'm quite happy pottering away at mine and it gives me that wee bit satisfaction on seeing the end results.

Auto Finesse gear is great stuff. Dressle makes interior plastics look like new and is great for the engine bay. I also have the tyre cream, Citrus Power, Iron out and their snow foam which I can also recommend. Their range is available in Halfords. I also have a few G3 products including waxes and compounds which I use with a Dodo Juice polisher.

I use auto brite on my car but it is expensive.
Investing in a lance and snowfoam is good to get the added dirt off.

I have the yellow polish I use every 4 mths but here is a massive tip.
On your weekly wash use carplan super gloss.
It’s cheap as chip and easy to apply and polish and is excellent as a starter product.
It has great beading and dust protection. The claims of. Year protection is rubbish but it’s a superb quick detailing aid.

on my last car I used a good carnuba wax once every couple months, then in between that just topped the car off with the quick detailer

you dont need to comprehensivley wax a car every wash

but theres lots of good products out there that are useful for frequent washed..something like autoglym aqua wax is cheap enough and easy enough to apply..it wont last weeks and weeks but its not bad for a quick wash

this one having gtechniq means the quick detailer is used on a quick wash...and every month I will top it up with Gtechniq liquid crystal

a lot of people like the sonax spray

on detailing world there is a thread now where they have started to mix some similar products!

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=378357

This is what I use, autoglym aqua wax. Wash the car down with water, apply aqua wax when wet and then dry with a Terry towel type cloth. That’s it, easypeasy and it looks great.

If anyone has invented a method of cleaning wheels that isn’t a massive chew on then I’m all ears! Can not stand bumping my wet numb knuckles doing them.

Back