Car battery power

Climb in the boot and close it over while in there to check.

Why would I want to climb in his boot ? :D
Anyway @Big Toe beat you to it ;)

Very difficult to diagnose from a distance but you shouldn't need to be buying a new battery every 5 minutes so here's a few things to check.

As Jazzman has said most new battery 'faults' are down to the failure of other components so first check that the battery supplied is of the correct capacity for your vehicle and operating temperatures.

Ideally you should take the car to a reliable garage with a good reputation for diagnostics/electrical faults. Hopefully they will do a diagnostic scan which will include checking alternator output and to check any spurious current drain.

A long shot, but I once had a Shogun/Pajero with the same symptoms and it turned out to be a wiring fault in the tow bar electrics caused by corrosion.

Correct.

Your not kidding its a long shot when it could be one of a thousand things :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:
Its probably some sort of fault with the battery so send it to Jazzman, if that doesn't work buy a couple of new batteries hoy 1 in the bonnet and one in the boot.

Your not kidding its a long shot when it could be one of a thousand things :rolleyes::lol:

It was to be read in conjuction with the previous paragraph.

I have some experience of vehicle diagnostics and I'd taken into account the type of vehicle and the op's location before offering my admitted long shot.

TBF to Pancho, accessories are the most likely cause. So if you’ve got a tow bar but don’t use it, it’s still likely water is getting in the plug as an example.

Petrol.
It has the tow set up but it’s never connected

:lol: It’s a big beast of a car too so it would have to be some size rabbit

I blamed the bad winter.
Maybe buying a new battery every 2 months will be the best solution
Our temperatures are -20 to -30 on a regular basis, no probs with batteries. If I leave it for an extended period of time I hook up a trickle charger.

Need to do a volt drop test.

Unplug components one by one until you find the source.

It’s likely a corroded earth or nicked wire if not an actual component.
^From various posts I've read on here regarding cars, this man knows what he's talking about.

Worth the return plane fare from Canada for the money he can save.
OR, he could buy you a plane ticket and fly you down so you can fix it for him.

Makes sure you charge him extra, though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to jump my car everyday now. It’s the 3rd battery in 6 months.

something is draining it while it’s parked but I can’t find anything obvious.
Is there any tips on what else I can do to locate it?

Havent Read the thread but.

Phone chargers have a lot to answer for

Also lights in places you didn't know had one. My mates audi had a light in the back at ankle height, no one ever got in the back often so he didn't know it was left on.

Back